Coffee a yes or a no?

I"m a coffee drinker, not a huge coffee drinker but i like a cup in the morning and sometimes i have another one througout the day. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about if coffee is good or bad. I've red some info that actually said coffee can keep you from losing weight. Has anybody had any experience with no longer drinking coffee and it helping health wise?

Replies

• maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    I don't have an answer for you, but I'd really like to see what people have to say.

Personally, I don't think a cup or two is bad for you. I usually go in cycles of drinking a coffee a day for a week, and then none for months. The caffeine has no noticeable effect on me, which is why I don't have to have one in the morning. I just like the taste.

Basically, my thought is that coffee should be consumed in moderation--just like anything else.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    everything in moderation

think of all the things that have be "bad" during your lifetime already and which are now OK? If you avoided all of them you wouldn't get the nutrition your body needs

as for weightloss, drinnk the coffee if you want it (I DO) and ditch the high calorie polutants that some people dilute good coffeee with - enjoy it > log it
  • sdonovan96
    sdonovan96 Posts: 46 Member
    I have coffee every morning. It's a must for me. I used to be a huge Starbucks addict and would drink most of my calories in a day. Now I just stick to home brewed coffee, low fat creamer and natural sweetener or a little sugar. Now I can also eat during the day instead of just drink coffee:)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I love coffee, but I'm not addicted to it. So while some weeks I'll have it every other day, other weeks I don't have it at all.
    Do I gain weight the weeks I have it? No. Do I lost more weight the days I don't have it? No.
    Just like everyone else on this website says, it all comes down to calories. If you can work it into your diary, I don't see any harm in enjoying a cup or two.
    Sure, drinking cup after cup may have its side effects, especially if you have heart problems. Too much of anything is never a good thing. But on the other side, moderation can provide antioxidants, a reduced risk of type two diabetes, and numerous other health benefits you can find listed on just about any website article.
    In my opinion, coffee can be a life saver! Whenever I'm dying for something sweet, I usually get a Grande Caramel Macchiato (240 calories/10 protein/35% calcium) or a Venti Cappuccino (150 calories, 10 protein, 35% calcium). Both are delicious, a reasonable amount of calories in my opinion, and provide a good amount of protein and calcium for a treat that replaces my urge to eat something like chocolate! It all depends on what you get though, any drink from Starbucks can be made less bad as long as it's 1 - hot, and not a frappuccino, and 2 - without whipped cream. No need to force yourself to drink nonfat milk, or sugar free syrups. Just make better decisions, all the information is on the website!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    gif_shop_coffee.gif

I can honestly say YES I am addicted to coffee. But it has not hurt my weight loss.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Well I can't function without coffee so I'm going to say it's a "yes"!

If you load it up with cream and sugar or get specialty drinks from Starbucks on the regular, you are looking at a bunch of extra calories that might be better used on food. But you can make room for them if they're something you enjoy.
  • I have coffee every morning. I use only the serving size amount of creamer and use honey to sweeten. It took me some time to get used to the taste because I used to use ALOT of cream and suger but now I feel like Im really enjoying coffee lol!!!! I say drink it and log it I log mine everyday!!!!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Yes or No? What does that mean.......coffee is a definite, a need :drinker:

I still have mine and have done well. And I still enjoy a Starbucks every now and again - ok, twice a week!! :bigsmile:

ETA: That is with sugar and creamer.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    No, but only because I think it's one of man's more vile-tasting creations. Just my opinion :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yes.

without the coffee I stop doing the walking and talking and things.

coffee is fine. coffee only really is an issue if you get overly addicted and even then I don't see an issue with THAT- but more the fact it seriously sucks when you have withdrawals and can't function without it.

just don't put a boat load of stuff in it like creamer and milk and sugar- people have no idea how much they are actually putting in there - no concept of measurements and then wonder why they can't lose weight when they are consuming 500+ calories of stuff in their coffee.

(which is fine- if you are AWARE of it- but many people aren't)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    I need it!! Sometimes only two a day, sometimes more, but it's never stopped my weight loss.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    My drinking coffee in the mornings is a public health service ;). I am not very focused nor am I very friendly until fully awake. It is my one little vice I have left I am not giving up. That and chocolate - chocolate must still fit into my life on a semi-regular basis.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    I have a cup of coffee every morning, I add 1tsp of skim milk, and 1tsp of regular sugar. I've managed to lose weight while drinking it so I don't think it would prevent you from losing weight. Like someone else said, everything in moderation:)
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    I drink one to two cups daily, with my creamer too. It's a must for me and the people around me. Lol
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Coffee is fine in moderation. As another poster mentioned, don't add all the sweetened creamers and sugars. You are not over doing it by have a couple of cups throughout the day.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I think the taste of it is good and it helps me um, use the restroom in the morning. That is the number one reason I drink my daily cup to be honest.

My coffee "tastes" have really changed. Like a lot of others who have posted, I used to be a Starbucks addict. White mochas and stuff like that, many times per week. I also drank coffee at home with a big squirt of agave nectar (because someone suggested it and it seemed fancy) and a pour of flavored creamer. Usually flavored coffee *and* flavored creamer -- for a grand mix that was like an amaretto chocolate vanilla éclair crème affair.

Now I drink regular coffee with an artificial sweetener packet and usually a splash of almond milk. I have honestly come to prefer it. When I go out for coffee with friends I'm partial to a cold brewed iced coffee, plain with coffee cubes...they seem to have that everywhere now and I love it when done well. That's what I'm downing in my profile pic hehe
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    I've been drinking coffee for evah, and it hasn't interfered with my weight loss. Although, I now mix 50/50 decaf and regular, and use 1/2 & 1/2, no sweetener.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    I drink a cup a day and have lost 50lbs... so I think it's safe...

It's not the coffee that keeps people from losing weight, it's all stuff people put in it... Cream and sugar can make a huge difference100 extra cal's 2x a day? That would be 10% of my 2000 cal's a day. I use splenda, and don't like cream in my coffee anyway.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    I don't think it's the coffee that's the problem. I think it's what people put in the coffee that causes lack of weight loss. As long as you're logging what you've put in and accounting for those calories, coffee in moderation is WONDERFUL. Besides, I find that I seem to have more friends when I drink coffee in the morning.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    I think the taste of it is good and it helps me um, use the restroom in the morning. That is the number one reason I drink my daily cup to be honest.

#1 and #2 reasons for drinking coffee :wink: