Researching P90x -- seeking feedback/reviews

Options
I'm considering getting and starting P90X, but I want some input first. I trust people here on MFP a lot, so I would LOVE your feedback! I've read through some of the previous topics posted by MFP P90X users, but I just want to do a survey of my own.

Would you recommend P90X? Is it something that a relative beginner could do? (I can do 15 pushups and run for over 30 minutes straight, so not terribly out of shape). Is it worth the investment for the equipment, etc.?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My brother is a personal trainer and he has mixed feeling about P90X. In his opinion, it can be a great program, however, he knows that it is a very risky program for relative beginners, even those in decent shape. A lot of people who try and do keep up with it end up getting hurt (esp. knee injuries). He doesn't discourage anyone who wants to give something a try, especially if it increases physical activity, but be sure to go at your own pace and do the modifications if you need.

I have the P90X series myself, but given his advice, I want to work myself up to being able to follow the entire program.
    Best of wishes and be safe!
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I have p90x and when I started it I could only do 2-3 pushups...and when I quit doing it (bad wrist) I was doing 10-15 of certain types of pushups. It's a very good workout. Hubby was losing weight fast, I was gaining muscle...(not bulky muscle because I did the lower weights with more reps).

I would recommend it.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Hey,

As a Team Beachbody Coach, I generally recommend that people start with an easier program. However one of the great things about P90X is that in the videos Tony has someone showing you how to modify the exercises, so that people of any fitness level can do them. I'd love to talk to you more about P90X, to see if you are ready for the program and if maybe there might be a better program for you. Please send me a message so we can discuss this further.

All the best,
    Stu

http://stooooo1.blogspot.com
  • toya860
    toya860 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm on day 9, and with reassurance from my heart rate monitor I average 400 calories per workout. Now I am not pushing myself as hard as they do in the video yet, but still I feel thoroughly worked out when I'm done. I'm beginning to see and feel changes already and I feel myself getting stronger. That's not entirely due to P90X though, but it's a combination of P90X exercises and nutritional percentage recommendations, the extra cardio I do (treadmill, elliptical), and staying under my numbers on MFP. I would definately recommend P90X!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    I've done three rounds of P90X with good results, but I've gotten my best results with another Beachbody program that doesn't get nearly the attention I think it deserves: Slim Series. It's the follow-up to Debbie Siebers' Slim in 6, and it is my favorite workout program ever. (I've also done Yoga Booty Ballet, Power 90, and Slim in 6 and dabbled a little in Turbo Jam.) For me, it's a great balance of cardio and resistance, and more importantly to me, it's a great balance of upper and lower body. I feel like P90X, while a great workout, doesn't give my legs and butt nearly the attention that Slim Series does. I also feel like I'm less likely to stress my joints doing Slim Series. After a round of P90X, I feel really strong, but I also feel some strain on my shoulders and elbows that I just don't get with Debbie's workouts.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    Duplicate. Oops! :embarassed:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It is a great workout and they show you enough modifications so that someone with 'ok' fitness can do it as well. What I think new folks should understand going into it though, is that if you're looking to get the kind of results shown in the infomercials you'll need to put forward a lot of dedication. IMHO the workouts are not the hardest part - following the nutrition guide is.

To get those AMAZING results, I'd be prepared to use supplements & shakes, eat several small meals/day, eat cleanly, become educated on proper eating & how to set your health goals, use a heart rate monitor and be able to plan your day effectively to allow for everything.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're wanting to lose weight, you will. If you're wanting to get stronger, you will. To get the real 'ripped' look you'll need to follow the program very closely including the nutrition guide.
  • dsee11
    dsee11 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 37, hadn't worked out or execised in a couple years. I'm 2 weeks into P90x. It has a pretest for you to do to let you know if you can do the excercise program. It take 5 minutes and isn't very hard. They also recomend several times to check with your physician. It's definitely challenging, but he offers 3 different levels for each exercise they do. A moderate, medium and extreem version to each exercise. Remember it is a video and you can pause at any time. He continueally reminds you to only do as much as you feel you can do. If your not in very good shape already, I would suggest using the exercise bands instead of weights and the pull up bar. I have enjoyed it so far. I never thought Yoga would be so hard though.