Facts…and other interesting stuff

binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Facts (as of right now)…and other interesting stuff

Articles I have read that stuck in my mind and the research to help support it.

As I go through more of my magazines, I’ll post more tidbits. Take everything with a grain of salt and use what you want.

Eat nuts
High in fat & calories. Why? High in healthy nutrients and antioxidants. Population studies show a link between high nut consumption and fat loss. (Asia Pacific Journal Clinical Nutrition, 19:137-141, 2010)

Obesity lowers testosterone levels
Excess adipose tissue interferes with metabolic health that control erections and testosterone levels. To make matters worse, age-linked declines in testosterone occur faster in overweight and obese men. (Diabetes Care published online May 2010)

Green Tea component increases aerobic capacity
EGCG over 945 milligrams given over 2 days increased aerobic capacity by 4 percent, but had no effect on cardiac output, exercise capacity or fuel use. (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 42: 739-744, 2010)

Green Tea increases fat use
EGCG may promote fat loss and protect cells from free radicals. At different times, obese men were given EGCG (300mgs), EGCG + caffeine (300mgs/200mgs) or a placebo. Caffeine + EGCG had no more effect than either alone. Both had small effects on fat use for at least 2 hours after ingestion. (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, published online April 7, 2010)

Whey protein improves metabolic health
Whey protein stimulates protein synthesis, while controlling appetite, food intake and blood sugar. Australian researches found consuming whey protein for 12 weeks reduced triglycerides, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol and improved blood sugar regulation compared to people who took casein supplements. There was no difference in weight loss or body composition. (British Journal of Nutrition published online April 9, 2010)

Thermogenic supplements enhance weight loss
Supplements such as caffeine, capsaicin and green tea increase metabolic rate and promote fat use. A review of literature by scientists from Maastricht Univ concluded that these supplements increase caloric expenditure by 4 to 5 percent and fat use 10 to 16 percent.
They work better in some people than others. They work by stimulating the sympathetic nervous system, which helps control hunger, stimulates energy expenditure and promotes fat breakdown. (International Journal of Obesity, 34: 659-669, 2010)

Weight gain after high-protein, low carb-dieting
The diet is effective for short term weight loss. Unfortunately 90% of people who lose weight through dieting gain it back again within 12 months. Research found that a study on rats, appetite and body fat increased following a weight-loss diet using a reduced-calorie, high-protein, low-carb diet. The caveat is that this study may not apply to humans. (Nutrition & metabolism, 6: 46, 2009)

Starvation diets cause fat cell unemployment
Fat cells are a storage for excess energy, but have a complicated and sophisticated communication system with the brain. The function of a fat cell is to store fat. Univ of Cal Berkeley found that starvation diets create the fat cell equivalent of unemployment. Research found that fat cells subjugated to a starvation diet increased glucose and fat uptake after the diet. After a 500 calorie per day diet with unlimited veggies, people lost more than 20 pounds. Researchers took biopsies of the fat cells and measures their capacity for glucose and fatty acid uptake. The results help explain why most people regain weight after weight loss. (Journal Proteome Research, 8: 5408, 2009)

Replies

• deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    I'm glad to see my coffee could be doing something "good" for me... lol...
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks. Great info!! You are very good at this. And if many people don't respond, chalk it up to taking all the information in cuz that's a lot. Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.