How much protein and strength training do I really need?

Options
BarbieAS
BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
So, I've got 50-60 pounds to lose (just to hit a healthy weight range, we'll see when I get there if I want/need to go further) and I'm at about 43% body fat (give or take a few points depending on what method you use, but, really, what's the difference at those levels). Right now I'm shooting for daily deficits of 750-1000, and I'll adjust that down as I make progress.

I (like most people) am interested in losing as little lean mass as possible during this process. I try my hardest to get to the gym (the only place I currently can do strength/resistance training), but with 2 little kids and working/commuting 55-60 hours/week, it's difficult. I'm able to get creative with my workouts in order to get SOMETHING in - a 7 minute workout here and there, walking on my lunch break and with my kids evenings/weekends, stuff like that - but finding the time to do dedicated strength workouts is difficult. I get to the gym maybe 2-3 times on a good week, and when I'm there I'm doing my best to lift "heavy" and follow a progressive program while using only machines and not free weights (back and knee issues make the risk of injury too great without good training, which I don't have the time or money for right now, but I'm hopeful I can swing it someday). Additionally, right now based on my body fat % I have a LBM of about 120lbs. I'm getting an average of maybe 85 grams/day of protein, which is short of my goal (set at 99), but I really am trying.

Based on my current stats and goals, is there any chance I'm doing *enough*, at least for right now? It's not like I have lofty body building goals (now or in the future), I just want to get to a healthy weight and be strong and have a shape that I'm happy with and have set myself up well to continue to increase/maintain my fitness levels once I've lost the weight/fat I need to lose to be healthy. Or should I try even harder on either or both of the training and protein fronts? If so, any suggestions for (beginner-ish...like, I don't think I'm ready for P90X or anything) training programs that don't require the gym or home equipment that I don't have the money or space for right now?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    all you need is a calorie deficit to lose.

ANY sort of weight / resistence training will help you on your way.

That being said- you're deficit of 750/1000?? causes some questions- what is your actual net calorie intake at this point? you do require a bare minimum to not dump your metabolism- you're body needs fuel to survive.

And 80 grams of protein is plenty.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    all you need is a calorie deficit to lose.

ANY sort of weight / resistence training will help you on your way.

That being said- you're deficit of 750/1000?? causes some questions- what is your actual net calorie intake at this point? you do require a bare minimum to not dump your metabolism- you're body needs fuel to survive.

And 80 grams of protein is plenty.

I'm trying not to get TOO hung up on hitting exact calorie goals every day, which is why I'm even giving myself a goal range, but (when I'm on the wagon...I've had a few slip ups lately) I'm eating between 1400 and 1700, depending on activity levels for the day, with an occasional outlier by 100-200 on either side.

I'm feeling pretty good about the deficit stuff, more or less, I just don't want to get down to something that resembles a goal weight and be PO-ed because I'm all flabby (I'd say "skinny fat," but I doubt I'll ever be anything anyone would describe as "skinny" :laugh:) and I still don't like the way I look, and it's another year of work to get to where I want to be, you know? I'm too old for that :wink: . I just want to be doing the right stuff NOW to set myself up to look and feel good when I get there, and I've read all this stuff (here and elsewhere) that adequate protein and strength training will do a ton to make that happen, and I just want to make sure that where I'm at is "adequate."

PS - Thanks :flowerforyou: