Help with Yoga stretching....

Options
So...I just started doing a Yoga Video at home. In all honestly, I'm doing it in hopes of helping me lose some of the stress I carry around on a daily basis and get some good stretching in, more than looking for another work out. I hope that makes sense.

The problem is,I can't do one of the main stretches. The girl in the video says to not push yourself, do what is relaxed to you etc, but doesn't show any way around some of the moves. And....its not very relaxing when I'm trying to hold up my 50lb leg because I can't reach my toes lol. (I know, not a pretty picture).

The video is 10 Minute Solution: Yoga...and I only do the last 10 min (relaxation and flexibility), but I do it twice (20 min), Its on my netflix played through my wii...so thats why I picked this one. Can I buy something so that I don't have to hold my toes with my hand, I keep thinking of using like a rope or something. First she goes strait up, and then to the side, if I grab my toe...my leg can't do either of those...basically I'm just stuck with my knee to my chest, toes in finger...lol sorry

ANYWAYS...here is a picture, in case you haven't see the video. Also, if any of you have netflix, and can suggest any good instant play videos for being stress free, please do. :) Thank you.

yogap.jpg

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can use anything, really, (by "anything," I mean a rope or whatever you happen to have around that will wrap around your foot and you can hold with your hand) but they sell straps for that (yoga straps). You can find them anywhere you can find a yoga DVD.

That said, it sounds like you're very new to yoga and I HIGHLY recommend you go to a class before trying to do it on your own. It's very difficult, even for those of us who have practiced for years, to know if you're holding the pose correctly. And you can seriously injure yourself if you're not.

Also, with the stretches that "require" touching toes, if you don't have a strap or something like it, just hold your leg wherever you can reach.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You should be able to use a strap (if you don't have a yoga strap, a belt, scarf or even rolled towel will do. Loop it around your foot and hold the ends (or as high up as you can) with your leg straightened out.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i too found i could not do some of the basic yoga moves, so i only do the ones that i can do. eventually, you will start to loosen up and can move on to the more difficult moves. i might just continue to stretch, it does get better the more you do it. also, i prefer to do yoga after my workout when my muscles are warm, not first thing in the morning. too hard.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would love to do an actual class, but no joke, we do not have any that i know of close by (the joys of living in a rural area). We have 3 gyms, but they don't do classes or anything, just go in and do your thing on your own, and the dance instructor just started Zumba, so that was exciting for me too. lol
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't "cheating" or something to use something to help with the stretch. Thanks everyone...I have a scarf that i think will work :) YAY!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    either a strap (an old necktie is what I use, but a towel also works) or you can just bend your leg at the knee so that you can reach.

HTH.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't "cheating" or something to use something to help with the stretch. Thanks everyone...I have a scarf that i think will work :) YAY!

There's no such thing in yoga! They even make special tools for "cheating." :-)

The other thing you can get for standing poses is a brick (or two). You can rest your hands on them if you can't reach the floor. But, again, they aren't a necessity. Just go as far as you can.

A really, really good instructional DVD for beginners is Gaiam's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. It has four levels, with the first being very, very basic and the last being almost the full expression of the poses, so you can work your way through the levels as you get more flexible.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    There is one I do that is very relaxing and very easy to do. Think of it as a upside down "V" Bend down, put your hands on the floor and lift your hips up standing on the palms of your feet. Looking down, and relax your neck. You can even practice just simple breathing exercises. :)