What keeps you going?

Options
When you are tired and starving, what keeps YOU motivated to continue?

Sometimes when I am exercising, I lay out this adorable American Flag bathing suit for inspiration.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    that is the best time for me to run when I'm tired and hungry. I look forward to those days it makes my run that much more great. I love those days. I'm obsessed with running.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do get days where I am tired and do not want to go out and exercise, I would rather just stay in bed\on the sofa\go and have a lovely bath. When I feel like that I think about why I'm doing the exercise (normally training for an event) and how much easier it will be if I put in the work now rather than struggle on the day. That's normally enough to get me off my lazy bottom!

As for hunger, if I am genuinely hungry (as opposed to just bored\procrastinating) I will have a nice piece of honey on toast or something and I feel a lot better.

EDIT: If I'm just bored then I look at the stats for my last few runs or bike rides and that usually distracts me for long enough to get over it :-)
  • ShervinM
    ShervinM Posts: 10
    Options
    me, myself and I :D
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a nap takes care of both. If I'm sleep deprived I am much more likely to overeat.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    My family. I have two kids, recently had our daughter {we have a 6yr old boy as well}. I feel more motivated as ever to be fit and healthy to set a positive example for my daughter, especially since girls can be so critical of themselves.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I go on Facebook and look at the photos of myself from last semester. That usually does the trick. I also look at my progress photos, those help immensely. Some days I feel like I'm getting nowhere but those photos aren't lying!

If I'm actually starved (and not just bored) I just eat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    always tired- always hungry.

so you just keep doing what you do because those things area state of being. not something that just happens to be "right now"

just go do what you need to do because it's what you NEED to do - not because you want to- but because you NEED to.
  • brinabj
    brinabj Posts: 28
    Options
    God keeps me going, Progress keeps me going when i look back to where i was (309) and where i am now (250) , the way my clothes fit now, all the people that talked about me and thought i couldn't do it . I say in my head you got this you are doing this you will do this .
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My daughter does. She tells me all the time how beautiful I am. She is the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life... It makes me feel good and I want to be healthy for her.
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I drink more water and think of how good I will look soon.

If you look good, you feel good, if you feel good, you do good.
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sunday. I indulge a meal and rest on Sunday, so if I can just hold out till Sunday, I'm good! Then come the next week, about Thursday, I'm tired and hungry but Sunday is soon so I can make it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My motivation is feeling healthy and strong.
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daughter does. She tells me all the time how beautiful I am. She is the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life... It makes me feel good and I want to be healthy for her.

"Like" :wink:
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    When I get tired or not wanting to keep going .... I think about the movie " Lone Survivor" ! If those guys can stay in a fire fight with bullet hole in them and after falling down a mountain, I think I can run a little further with my wimpy shin splints!!
  • TeresaGoal145lbs
    TeresaGoal145lbs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I get on the scale and see weight has come off:) Plus, the way I look in pictures. Keeping in mind that I want to be strong and healthy.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Loose jeans feeling :)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I save my rest day for a day that 'I just can't bear the thought of exercising' day. If that day doesn't happen I take it on a weekend day - which is my favorite days to take rest day anyway.

The eating I just try and distract myself. Win some lose some . I need to just go to bed if it is at night but for some reason I hate to go to bed, even when I'm very very tired. It is kind of a vicious cycle.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The days that I don't want to exercise are when I really force myself to do it. On occasion, I have been known to be so flustered that I tear up a little and really want to quit but I push through it and finish. Those days are some of the best that I've had and I feel like I'm breaking some kind of barrier between who I was and who I am trying to become. It sounds hokey, but doing it despite my laziness works wonders.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I donated all my old clothes and I like my new stuff way better...

Honestly though, when I was eating too little, I was starving and it was hard, especially since the weight kept going and coming back, over and over. Sheer stubbornness kept me going until I discovered I could eat well and still lose weight (and now maintain that loss). Hungry is fine, but starving will mess with your head and eventually your body.

Have you tried to figure out your TDEE?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I get tired or not wanting to keep going .... I think about the movie " Lone Survivor" ! If those guys can stay in a fire fight with bullet hole in them and after falling down a mountain, I think I can run a little further with my wimpy shin splints!!

My exercise partner is my brother, a decorated former marine. As we run or lift or whatever is on the docket, my complaints tend to die before I ever voice them when I think about what he has overcome and who I'm complaining too. He has been the most crazy supportive and inspirational aspect of my weight loss (next to my awesome wife), but I look at my brother as the bar, and I won't wimp out on him.