Question about SO support....

Options
_KitKat_
_KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
So my husband has always been supportive with really anything I want to do but even he surprised me last night. My husband is fit and has been very supportive with my weight loss but normally he is pretty indifferent to MFP and calorie count. This is normally fine with me, why would he care. Here is where he surprised me though...While making dinner last night we couldn't decide what to make. I logged 1 dinner when we planned and had to un-log because we changed our mind, this happened a few times in a row. He found it amusing and was joking around with me, when my youngest out of nowhere starting making fun of my logging. She was asking why do you care? and that just seems silly and so on. The surprise came when my husband turned around and told her "it's important to mom, that is why it matters". It was a small thing but it felt really good, even with all his support I assumed he thought the logging was silly too. I am a lucky girl :love:

Oh...The question.....Have any of you been surprised by your SO's support or lack of?

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Love it! I remember being surprised when I came home from work to find my SO was cooking me a nice dinner and he already had all the nutritional info figured for me :smooched: He does this every time he cooks now and I couldn't appreciate it more!
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    That is GREAT! I am so glad to see others have such great men or women, sometimes the good ones get no mention because everyone is more focus on the bad ones.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Nice. Hubby & I are in this together, but not really. What I mean is we each have our own weight loss goals - but are very different about how we go about it. Partially because he needs more calories per day than me, and because he can lose weight 'easier'. (He's lost more in less time and with less effort, but oh well!)

Anyhow - his way of supporting me means he weighs, measures ingredients when he cooks so I can know per serving calories. I log everything to track all macros but he thinks that is too complicated. So when he cooks, I enter quick calories. But he does make an effort to be very accurate for my sake, while he doesn't need it so much.

And I support him by not nagging when I think he needs to eat more. He has high days, and some that are lower, so it all washes out in the end.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just agreed to start the P90x program with me :3 And he's also been working on making healthier eating choices. I couldn't be more excited! Most of my diet fails happen because he and I have gone out for dinner to not-so-diet-friendly places. I'm just super excited that he's going to support me and work on this with me ^w^
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That is amazing.!Over the years my hubby has attempted to help me but it generally results in frustration. He has enough discipline for both of us. And I have none. When I told him about MFP and how it works he said "That's great. You have to find out what works for you." Normally he tries to us his plan for me and doesn't get it. Im so proud of him for finally getting it. And it actually motivates me a little more knowing he isn't pushing me.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend surprised me one day by making lunch and having a table set up outside when I came home for lunch from work. The best part was, he asked me to look under my napkin. Under the napkin, he had placed a sheet of paper with the calorie count and nutrition facts for everything he had made, so I could log it easily! It was awesome.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 15, knows everything, and is very militant about body acceptance issues (this began before I even started trying to lose weight and get healthy). She once gave me some grief about logging dinner and how I need to love myself, and my husband jumped in to remind her that just like other people can be happy with letting their bodies be, I can also be happy by choosing to make my body different. It's just a different kind of love. Awwww...

Granted, he'll take just about any opportunity to contradict her these days, and vice versa, because they are the same person in different bodies and heaven only knows how I'm going to survive in between these two for the next few years! Someone get me a striped shirt and a whistle! LOL!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Love this. :) Thanks for sharing!
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's lovely. And it is nice to see, the forums are full of unsupportive spouses. My husband is still getting loads of crap, but I know he's super proud of how well I'm doing. And he's told me he's going to take me to Greece next year for my birthday as a goal and a well done for doing so well. Which is not only pretty amazing, but it helps keep me on track, knowing I'll be on the beach looking good, and I need to be healthier to walk up the stairs at the waterpark we'll be visiting while we're there.
    My husband is my rock, even with his crappy food addiction :p
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    my hubby helps me with the cooking and is pretty good about helping me make 'alternatives' for what he and the kids eat.

He tries to help with the exercise thing, and if I want to do things at home, he is real supportive, not so much about me leaving and going to the gym tho. Frustrating.

I take what I can get.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 50 lbs before coming here . When I was heavier , my ex husband hounded me constantly which made me crazy, stressed and just could not get a handle on it. Well, four years later I remarried a WONDERFUL man. We ran into my ex at a wedding and I had then lost the 50 lbs plus and my ex stood there and stared at me. My husband walked up to him and said "BIG MISTAKE" Just like Julie Roberts... God love him. He has helped me re do recipes to continue on this path and soooo supportive. I am so blessed.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My SO is very supportive. I could not ask for any more from him.
    I think the fact my ultimate motivation is to lose weight before I get pregnant is a big motivator for him to be supportive.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend surprised me one day by making lunch and having a table set up outside when I came home for lunch from work. The best part was, he asked me to look under my napkin. Under the napkin, he had placed a sheet of paper with the calorie count and nutrition facts for everything he had made, so I could log it easily! It was awesome.
    That is true love... Good for you
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 15, knows everything

All teenagers know everything, they have been everywhere, seen everything and yet experienced nothing lol
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband has always been supportive of what I want to do, but sometimes he forgets what exactly I'm doing at the moment :tongue:
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    I love all the responses, I actually only included "lack of" support in my question because that is what I was worried I would see more of, based on the normal forum postings.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My ex husband was never really supportive. Anytime he seen me logging my food or weighing my food he would have some smart remark. He never wanted to go with me to the gym but complained about lack of quality time. He was very insecure and was worried that I was going to lose weight find someone else. Same thing happened when I went back to school. He was afraid I was going to start seeing a man with a college degree who also makes more money and leave him.

Needless to say, I didn't leave him for a gym rat of a man or a man with a degree. :)
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    My husband has always been supportive of what I want to do, but sometimes he forgets what exactly I'm doing at the moment :tongue:

I love this!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I always looked for my husband's approval. I rarely got it. Once my changes became visible, he claimed I should've listened to him all along, which is funny because I was doing everything he said not to do (lifting, eating carbs). After a while, I didn't care what he thought about anything and gave him the boot.

He was the easiest weight I ever lost.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not only great support, but also backing mom and showing your kids the importance of support and not poking fun :) All about the teaching moment!!

My husband is so amazing and supportive. He doesn't poke fun, he encourages me to eat well and go to the gym. He does the whole nightly routine with the kids so I can go to the gym. He puts up with my change in cooking the meals and going after more healthy ingredients. He's even switched to turkey and chicken sausage instead of regular pork sausage. So he's starting to make small changes in himself.

Support is not NECESSARY for success, but it sure does help along the way :)