Workout advise needed

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm 41 and mother to 2 youngins. I coach soccer, and have a full time job so very little time to work out. I've done the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, loved it but my knees didn't. I'm in good shape, but my knee has been recovering from tendinitis for 8 months from that workout. I ordered the 10 min beach body workout DVDs, but my back and knees really hate that workout for sure. Is there any videos that you would recommend that won't damage my knees? Yoga has been helping my back a lot. Thanks!

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you think you can wait until near the end of June, there'll be a new workout program coming out called "PiYo". It's a mix of yoga and pilates but the moves are fast enough that it also burns calories. It's designed to help you get into shape AND heal your body. It's a complete NO impact workout but super effective and safe on the knees!

Feel free to friend me, I might be able to help you find something to do in the meantime I just have a few questions! :)
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of dvd's are really hard on my knees. I like Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've had bouts of tendinitis in both my knees, and I would recommend doing exercises that will strengthen the muscles supporting your knees. Then workouts won't exacerbate the problem, and the inflammation will go away eventually (I promise!). In the mean time: yoga, pilates, swimming are all easy on the knees :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com - heaps of great, free workouts. Handy search feature on the site where you can choose your workout criteria - length of time, body focus, training type, equipment needed, etc. It's a great site and might be just what you're looking for. :smile:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've had bouts of tendinitis in both my knees, and I would recommend doing exercises that will strengthen the muscles supporting your knees. Then workouts won't exacerbate the problem, and the inflammation will go away eventually (I promise!). In the mean time: yoga, pilates, swimming are all easy on the knees :)

My knees hurt crazy bad the first time through 30DS and at least part way through the second time. It just went away. I assume that the necessary muscles just got stronger. I have very flat feet and very bad arches so blamed it on that but who knows. I've never had a knee injury and am not giving advice - just sharing my experience.
  • dizzard_chick
    dizzard_chick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been through months of physical therapy to strengthen the surrounding muscles. I ended up having an MRI and my ortho doc suggested some new plasma injections right on the site to promote healing. I had to have abdominal surgery, so I wanted to see if the 10 wk rest would help the knee instead. It did help until I starting getting active again. My knee is feeling pretty good for the most part, but when I try to follow some of these videos I feel like I'm re-injuring it again. I'm going to check out fitnessblender.com. Thanks for all the responses!
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone - walk away the pounds. It works and it should help, not hurt your knees. Her ultimate collection is my favorite but I have 8 or so of them. Use weights, use the resistance band. You can get a good workout if you put the effort into it. Also some of Jackie Warner's DVD's could be done without the knee issue. Just do the upper body part when a lunge or squat is called for that bothers you. You would still be getting most of the workout.
  • KatieLouiseIzzard
    KatieLouiseIzzard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tore my anterior cruiate ligament in my left knee just over a year ago...as someone has said before me, strengthening the muscles around your knees is key, and low impact exercises like yoga, Pilates, swimming and cycling (if your knees can take it!) I still do strengthening exercises on my knees even though I've had no pain for months and do 30DS.