Desperate need for friend support with Atkins!

Options
hello everyone! I am new to this website just signed up yesterday actually.I have done the Atkins before when I was 37 about 6 years ago and had great success on it I was able to lose 50 pounds in about 3 months. This time I am struggling. I don't know what the problem is. I have been on the plan of induction since last Saturday and just weighed myself and there has been no weight change. I remember the last time I did this diet I was losing it seems like up to a ponds a day at some points. I know we shouldn't look at the scale to measure our success, but in all honesty it's very encouraging to see even a couple ounces of decrease on my digital scale. I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of meat and fresh green vegetables and omitted rice potatoes bread pasta all sweets and fruits etc from my diet. I did buy some carb smart ice cream bars and some Atkins indulge granola bars as well as a few little bags of sugar free candies like Reese's peanut butter cups and the hard candies. I do know that I need to eat those things in moderation. My struggle seems to be that I am always hungry and I can't eat a ton of meat or eggs because it just makes me feel sick to my stomach. What are some other low carb ways for me to feel satisfied in between meals yet not exceed my carb allowance of 20 carbs per day. I was trying sunflower seeds and small bags of peanuts but they still leave me very hungry. Any suggestions from people who are currently on the induction or have just finished the induction phase successfully would be greatly appreciated. I really need to lose about 45 pounds and induction phase is supposed to be a jump start phase but I'm just not seeing any results... It's very frustrating.

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I get so hungry when I don't eat carbs. I could eat loads of fruits and veggies and I still feel uncontrollably hungry until I eat an english muffin, some pasta, or something starchy. Then I'm full for hours. I don't understand why, since simple carbs are said to make you hungry faster, but it seems to be the opposite for me. I even tried a handful of almonds after my fruit, and I still got really hungry, and I was out of calories because I ate all my calories in fruit and handfuls of almonds lol! I'd be curious to know some low carb foods that keep you full as well, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I have done the Atkins before when I was 37 about 6 years ago and had great success on it I was able to lose 50 pounds in about 3 months.

50 pounds weight loss in 3 months is absurdly fast, way too fast. Did you gain that weight back? Is that what you're trying to lose again. If so I'm not surprised. The faster you lose weight, the higher the likely hood that you gain all the weight back and usually more. Steer clear of restrictive diets like Atkins and just go with a moderate calorie deficit with proper macronutrient intakes...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about Atkins then dump the ice cream, bars, candy and so on. Induction should be predominantly meats, vegetables and eggs; not Reese's, not Atkins brand candy bars, and certainly not ice cream. For example, breakfast can be meat/eggs/some cheese, lunch could be a salad with a nice portion of meat and perhaps an egg or two, and dinner can be some leafy greens, some brussel's sprouts and a serving of meat. That's a typical induction day and note the lack of any processed candy bars with sugar substitutes and the like (I'm beating a dead horse at this point).

I'd also highly encourage you to track your protein macro and calories throughout the process. Since you need to be weighing/logging everything to track carbs anyways, it's literally no extra effort to ensure you get enough protein and hit your caloric goal each day. To do Atkins properly, you need to track your food very carefully, as over time you'll be raising your carb macro by a relatively small amount each week and that gradual increase requires very close tracking in order to hit it accurately, so go ahead and get comfortable using your food scale on a regular basis.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    A very long time ago, I lost 80 on Atkins. :)

Right now, I am doing my own version of Atkins. I'm attempting to eat between 50-100 carbs a day. (That's about 25%) This week was a bad one, so most days were closer to 100. I eat a lot of meat and eggs, sorry. I know you said they make you sick. String cheese, peanut butter, I make my own chicken soup with bacon, mushrooms, chicken breast and broccoli. Maybe make a big pot on Sunday, and have a cup when you're hungry. Mine comes to about 150 calories and 5 carbs.

Good luck. :)
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb since January. After the first two weeks I didn't feel hungry anymore. I am vegetarian so no meat, fish or poultry for me. Nuts will fill you up and keep you full longer then some other things. I stick to 1/4 cup at a time. I like walnuts the most but peanuts are good for a salty snack. I also like dry roasted edamame and they are a huge source of protein.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get so hungry when I don't eat carbs. I could eat loads of fruits and veggies and I still feel uncontrollably hungry until I eat an english muffin, some pasta, or something starchy. Then I'm full for hours. I don't understand why, since simple carbs are said to make you hungry faster, but it seems to be the opposite for me.

OMG.... and I thought I was the only one!! :noway: :noway: :noway: