Is running 1-2 miles a day very much exercise?

Options
Hola.

I have a nice routine going where I try to do cardio 5-6 days a week.

4 days a week, I walk 1 mile up to my local track and run 1.5 to 2 miles at a 6:30 min pace. It gets me very tired in a good way. But I look on here and notice how much more others run. Should I be slowly upping my running?

The other 2 days I go hiking. I use MapMyRun, but I don't know how accurate the calorie burner is.

I was thinking of adding some resistance training 2-3 days a week. Would that make a difference if I don't go to the extreme like some people do? I respect and more power to the people who work out 2 hours a day, but my lifting would be more like 45 minutes.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if it's enough for you than it's enough. i used to do 1-2 miles a day walking. now i'm running 6 miles a day. I still think that isn't enough. I want to be running at least 13 miles per day. but for now 6 miles is good enough. your body will tell you if it's too much. takes cues from your body and have fun.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on your goals. Running a couple miles per day is great exercise and will significantly increase your overall health, fitness, and most likely longevity. I wouldn't worry about whether it's considered "very much" exercise.

If you have the time and motivation to do more than definitely consider adding in resistance training. Resistance training won't just improve your strength. It'll also improve your bone strength and hormone function.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on your fitness level and goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    45 minutes 2-3 times a day is more an adequate for general lifting needs- you'll get significantly more out of your training/fitness if you combine a balanced program of cardio and resistance- unless you are training for very specific goals.

as for 1-2 miles very much? That's completely relative to you and what your goal is and what level of fitness you possess currently.

for me 2 miles a day would be a medium amount- I don't run much- but I'm capable of it.
    for a body builder or for someone extremely over weight and completely out of shape- 2 miles a day would be a lot- neither are equipped to do that.
    for a marathon runner 2 miles a day is a joke.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if your new to it then it probably would be. if your an experienced runner it might not be enough for you.

make sure you take at least one rest day a week