Pregnant woman asked to leave gym because of her belly?!?

Options

Replies

• lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Rules are rules!! End of story....she violated a rule and was offered a shirt to cover her belly up with but refused. Seems to me that she was just trying to make a scene.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why is she so special that she shouldn't follow the rules?

And if she was so embarrassed by the whole encounter I'm curious why she ran straight to the media?:huh:

My guess was, that they embarrassed her and made her feel shamed by the way they handled the situation, it's not that it's a bad facility, it's the way they enforce their rules. Yes, rules are rules, but have some tact.

But we only know her side. She alleges that they handled it poorly. I'd be interesred to know what other people who were there thought of the situation.

I say this as someone who works in customer service and is completely fed up with people crying "Rude!" because they don't get their way.
  • Kitty70f9
    Kitty70f9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No, preggo bellies aren't creepy or gross, but still, rules are rules. From the article, it sounds like they offered her a shirt and she refused it. They didn't kick her out, but rather told her she needed to change. Perhaps the employee could have tried to speak to her off to the side instead of in front of other guests, but in the end, the lady should just follow the rules or find another gym if she can't/won't abide by them.

When I was pregnant, I never had my belly hanging out unless I wanted it to. Which was once, for Halloween. It wasn't because I was ashamed or anything, but rather because I knew that I needed to dress properly, which meant my tummy was covered, regardless of my maternal state.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    18 weeks? She's showing her belly on purpose at that stage. Not saying it isn't cute or whatever, but her pants are pulled way down on purpose.

Now if she was 39 weeks and ready to pop, no way she should have to buy bigger clothes to wear for a week. I was expecting to see a gigantic pregnant belly, not a teeny bump with her pants pulled way down.

+1 If that's their rule and everyone is abiding by it, so should she.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said about her violating the dress code, pregnant or not (really, I've had two babies and know there is affordable maternity workout wear to be had).

However I used to go to this specific Planet Fitness location. Let's just say that the staff never seemed to be the brightest bulbs, so I'm not surprised about the poor manner in which it was handled.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yeah i agree she should have worn different clothing but i also feel like the gym handled it poorly based on what is reported in the article. Now if they asked her to pull her pants up or shirt down and she refused then i understand but who knows. Media will always show the most dramatic side lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how the gym handled it so it is hard to comment. There is always more than one side to the story. They did offer her a tshirt which she refused.
    This gym is known for asking people to leave for violating a number of their policies. It doesn't exactly surprise me.

I think it reflects poorly on a business when they do not equally enforce a policy. Either you do or you don't, IMO. We do not know for sure if that was or was not done here. But in the end, it is their policy and they are within their rights to enforce it.
    I also don't think she gets a pass because she is pregnant. My belly is bigger than hers right now and I have had no issue keeping it covered. The top does not look like it is riding up in the picture, it looks like that is how it was worn. If it also rides up like she said (referring to before she was pregnant), it is entirely possible she was showing even more of her belly. Who knows.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I knew that Planet Fitness was involved before I even opened this thread. Smh. What is wrong with that place?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    sounds like a hoax.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's going to become a badge of honour for all serious fitness enthusiasts to get themselves banned from Planet Fitness.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Pretty sad if something like this is making 'the news'. I like Planet Fitness. Handled badly, but come on peoples!! Rules are rules.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how the gym handled it so it is hard to comment. There is always more than one side to the story. They did offer her a tshirt which she refused.
    This gym is known for asking people to leave for violating a number of their policies. It doesn't exactly surprise me.

I think it reflects poorly on a business when they do not equally enforce a policy. Either you do or you don't, IMO. We do not know for sure if that was or was not done here. But in the end, it is their policy and they are within their rights to enforce it.
    I also don't think she gets a pass because she is pregnant. My belly is bigger than hers right now and I have had no issue keeping it covered. The top does not look like it is riding up in the picture, it looks like that is how it was worn. If it also rides up like she said (referring to before she was pregnant), it is entirely possible she was showing even more of her belly. Who knows.

+1
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's going to become a badge of honour for all serious fitness enthusiasts to get themselves banned from Planet Fitness.

*takes out pen to add new goal to list*

Dammit, if only there was one around, I'm pregnant. I got this one easy.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I KNEW this was a Planet Fitness article before I even clicked on it.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    **** happens! Plus it is planet fitness no surprise.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The place that doesn't discriminate but discriminates... can't explain that...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    The place that doesn't discriminate but discriminates... can't explain that...

asking people to follow the same rules others must follow is not discrmination
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i got asked to leave PF for being too intimidating was wearing a hoody and track pants. I was there helping a family member go through her routine.