Increasing Caloric Intake after Dieting?

Options
I am an avid runner, I work out almost every day for at least 30 minutes, and I'm a vegetarian and I've been calorie-restricting for about 4 months almost and have gotten below my goal weight and am underweight. I want to maintain the weight that I've lost. I will continue exercising and probably increase my runs as I increase my caloric intake, since it will allow me to have more energy. If I've been averaging 1200-1300 calories a day, how slowly should I increase my intake until I reach the necessary amount for my exercise level? (About 1900 according to different sites)

Replies

• runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How much did you lose a week on average, and how much was your net cals? You can use MFP report function to check.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am an avid runner, I work out almost every day for at least 30 minutes, and I'm a vegetarian and I've been calorie-restricting for about 4 months almost and have gotten below my goal weight and am underweight. I want to maintain the weight that I've lost. I will continue exercising and probably increase my runs as I increase my caloric intake, since it will allow me to have more energy. If I've been averaging 1200-1300 calories a day, how slowly should I increase my intake until I reach the necessary amount for my exercise level? (About 1900 according to different sites)

1200 NET or gross?

Um, I would up your calories 100 or so each week. 1200 is net is so low......
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I added 100 a week for awhile and think I finally found it at about 1800 or so. I also went below weight. I started at a higher caloric intake than you did (never below 1500, usually closer to 1600).

I am also heavy on the cardio ( contact kick boxer)3xs a week and weight train heavy 2xs a week w/o 'bulking" or gaining weight.

You're right about the energy! IDK how a person could run on 1200 with any speed but I'm not a runner. As it was, I dragged my butt in class while eating 1600. At 1800 I'm nearly back to normal. I think your performance will be much better with more calories and I'd add those 100 calories a week for sure!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would go for a quicker initial jump in cals (200 extra immediately perhaps and add 100/day every week) but beware as you have been severely restricting you will probably get an initial bounce in weight out of all proportion to your increased calorie intake.

Either stay off the scales if it might upset you or just accept it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I would also add back about 200 calories for a week or two.
    See where you are.
    Then bump up another 200 after that, and wait a week or two.

Cause if you have been very low on calories and lost weight....your metabolism will have slowed down.
    So you want to take a measured approach to adding back in calories as your body adjusts to the added calories.