FOOD SCALE KEEPS GIVING DIFF NUMBERS!!

Options
freddi11e
freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
Hey Guys,
My food scale ( Ozeri from Amazon) came in the mail today! I was so excited I started weighing different things to check the accuracy..

I put those Special K Crisps on the scale, and first it said .82... then it said .84... then .98.... and the package itself says .88...

I'm so bummed. I'm going to return it.... did anyone else find that their food scales aren't accurate???

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    before returning, try replacing the battery. My scale does that when the battery is low.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    When mine does that, the battery is bad. Try taking out the battery for a bit then putting it back in. If it keeps doing it, replace the battery. At least that is what I would try before taking the time to return it. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Check to see if any packing material or "blocks" are in the part that moves. Sometimes they put shims in to limit movement or keep it from bottoming out during shipping.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Change the batteries!!
  • freddi11e
    Options
    it came with batteries. i opened up a fresh new pack of batteries....
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    change the battery calibrate it with a penny, it should weigh 2.5 g.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure that the scale is level. Some will do that if it's sitting on an uneven surface.
  • freddi11e
    Options

thanks... i'll try this when i get home :)
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    how about a nice analog kitchen scale. batteries not needed.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Rarely accurate at the small increments we measure, but I wouldn't mind getting hold of an old-school arm scale from chemistry class :)
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Rarely accurate at the small increments we measure, but I wouldn't mind getting hold of an old-school arm scale from chemistry class :)

No. Is accurate. I have two. One that measures in increments of 10gr and one that measures in increments of 1gr. I also have a 5gr and 10gr brass weights to ensure calibration. Simple.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    ... and first it said .82... then it said .84... then .98.... and the package itself says .88...

I'm so bummed. I'm going to return it.... did anyone else find that their food scales aren't accurate???

Perhaps it is at the limit of its accuracy. What is the stated accuracy of the scale, plus or minus something? Were you weighing 0.84 of a gram or ounce? That is pretty small. Most kitchen digital scales of 10 lb capacity are accurate plus or minus 0.2 grams, so the range is 0.4g. , and if they are good to 1.0 grams, I think that is accurate enough for food

Batteries - even if it came with batteries, they are usually the cheapest possible and might be bad. Try a fresh set from the store. The scale I got for weigh hops started flickering after 1 week. The new alkalines have lasted over a year.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

thanks... i'll try this when i get home :)

Did you get it working?