Calories burned from Insanity Workout?

Options

Replies

• ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I´ve been doing Insanity for 16 days (have not missed a single workout and REALLY pushed through my limits), I´m a male 5´9, 38 y/o, 224 lb.

during this 2 weeks and a half my HRM have showed very consistent results and are the following:

Fit test: 500 cals.
    Cardio Recovery: 400 cals.
    Plyometric Cardio Circuit, Pure Cardio, Cardio Power & Resistance: 800 cals, each.
    Pure Cardio+Cardio Abs: 1100 cals.
    Rest day: 0 cal, lol

Of course calories burned depend on individuals, but those are my results.

By the way, I haven´t lost lot of weight (only 2 pounds) but I feel much more stronger, core is tight, 1 inch less in my belly, sexy legs lol.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Insanity Core Cardio 63 minutes 555 Cal
    Plyometric Cardio 72 minutes 852 Cal
    Cardio Power Resistance 60 minutes 649 Cal
    Cardio Recovery 58 minutes 500 Cal
    Pure Cardio & Abs 61 minutes 696 Cal
    Max Interval Circuit 79 minutes 919 Cal
    Max Interval Plyo 72 minutes 870 Cal
    Max Cardio Cond. & Abs 93 minutes 1034 Cal
    Max Recovery 65 minutes 537 Cal

These were all taken with an HRM. As you can see when you get into the second half of Insanity (called Max) the calorie burns go way up. It's cool to compare these with other people's results. I weighed 264 to 250 on my first round of Insanity. About to do my second round.

TO EVERYONE DOING INSANITY: Keep going no matter how much you have to stop and rest. I can assure that if you stick with it, you will be pleased at the end of the 60 days. Also, the second half of Insanity IS tougher than the first but you will get used to the longer workouts. I thought I'd be bored going back to the start after my first round but the first 30 day's workouts are just as tough. Starting my second round this week after too long of a delay. Good luck to you all!!!
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    interesting thread. i tried insanity before but i only got through week 3. it was so tough considering i was also teaching other fitness classes. at the time i wasn't logging on mfp. my question is about how you all are entering the calories burned since it varies depending on how hard you're working out and the specific workout your'e doing and how you progress even with doing the same workout later in the program.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just came in to recommend that you get a HRM that has the chest strap. Makes ALL the difference in terms of your true burn. I have a Polar FT7 and will never again rely on anecdotal info to determine how many calories I burn.
  • stacyll
    stacyll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    do you just modify the calorie count in the box each time?
  • kristaloves2shop
    Options
    This website gives you a calculation of estimate your cal burn per minute:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/420795-how-many-calories-do-you-burn-on-insanity-pure-cardio/

When you figure that out, you can add your own exercise under "my exercises" and put your own calorie burn per min to personalize it for you!
  • KaMiLeUn
    KaMiLeUn Posts: 1
    Options
    The thing is, How does all this get logged into the My Fitness Pal? I mean The HRM is great and all, but without one it would be good to track it through the app itself... what would you place it as under cardio?
  • Changinghabits68
    Changinghabits68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would use the link above and input your own personal calculations. I just started my first day of Be Fit its a toughie, and so I just modified stuff, which when I was really fit, I never had to do. But I will continue!
  • cms3613
    cms3613 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you! this link helps me figure out more or less how I did.
  • mackabee
    mackabee Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello there,

Now that you are closer to 60 days on Insanity, have you seen great results so far or its just a good workout? I just started today and Im so desperate to see major results in 60 days. Summer is coming up!:smile:
  • kayteesb
    kayteesb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did insanity a while back and I wore my HRM to track calories burned. Awesome job!:smile:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Even my hip hop class and insanity burns almost the same calorie amount
    but it's not the same. After insanity my body is sored for a while and I can feel that I'm building more muscle mass specially the upper body. After hip hop class, it takes more less time to recovery than insanity.
  • a40miller
    Options
    you have to be careful not to be fooled by cheap heart rate monitors. I bought one that goes on your wrist, but when I sweat a lot it doesnt give a read out, or I have to take time to wipe the sweat away to get a read
  • MrsSS0712
    Options
    I am in round 2 of Insanity. The results are amazing so do stop. I am new to the site and calorie counting. I have srrn a lot of inches lost but my weight have went up. I was told that I am probably not taken in enough calories and my body is holding on to every thing that I eat now since I have increase my exercise activities. So this is my last result before diet pills.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am in round 2 of Insanity. The results are amazing so do stop. I am new to the site and calorie counting. I have srrn a lot of inches lost but my weight have went up. I was told that I am probably not taken in enough calories and my body is holding on to every thing that I eat now since I have increase my exercise activities. So this is my last result before diet pills.

I started the fit test today and OH MANNNN, sweat everywhere!!! I burned about 453 cals doing about 40 minutes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 5'7", 177 lbs and usually have my HR go between about 150 (down to about 120 during the stretching) and 180 doing the insanity workouts. I burn about 340-370 for the 40 minutes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Without buying and using a HRM, what I've found works best in MFP for Insanity and similar type workouts is entering them under Cardiovascular as Circuit Training. Your MFP already makes changes for your particular bodyweight and will give you a number to eat around if not perfectly accurate, has been good enough to both keep my energy levels high while continuing to lose weight. If the whole workout was 32 mins I entered 32 mins. The "warmup" is a full on workout for my money, but if I wanted to I guess I could subtract the 6 mins of stretching. But I didn't want to.

Doing it this way, the month 2 dvds would come in between 750-900 calories burned, which seems to be the right range for a 250 lb male. YMMV
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is there an app for an android phone that will track the HRM and count calories while doing the Insanity workout?
    Thanks.

There's several. You can use Google Tracks for free and it'll sync to your bluetooth HRM (double check to make sure you're is compatiible) and it'll record your runs/walks/rides on a map along with time/dist/speed info. Obviously, during Insanity you're only moving 4 feet side to side but it'll still record your HR info.

There's many fitness apps in the Market (oops, I mean Google Play, whatev) that you can pay for if you like their interface more.
  • sreysok
    sreysok Posts: 1
    Options
    I am so inspired to keep going by all of you, thank you and keep up the great work.
  • plyosteph
    plyosteph Posts: 17
    Options

TO EVERYONE DOING INSANITY: Keep going no matter how much you have to stop and rest. I can assure that if you stick with it, you will be pleased at the end of the 60 days. Also, the second half of Insanity IS tougher than the first but you will get used to the longer workouts. I thought I'd be bored going back to the start after my first round but the first 30 day's workouts are just as tough. Starting my second round this week after too long of a delay. Good luck to you all!!!

Thanks for the tip to help me keep going.