Breathing while Jogging/Run??

Options
So I am a new to this entire jogging/ run/ get healthy thing I have been working out for about a month...I just started a few days ago with the c to 5-K...I know that I can go farther but I feel as though I cant breathe right.. I guess I need help with breathing techniques...any suggestions??

Replies

• happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, taking Pilates helped my breathing while running. You should be belly breathing and not chest breathing per say. Stick with it, it does get easier and if you have a day that you can't finish all the way, do it again until you can finish it. It will get easier the more you do it.
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm on week 7 and my breathing is definitely stopping me from progressing - may have to go back to week 6!

I've discovered that when I take a deep breath through my nose my right nostril goes weird (don't laugh!!!) - not sure war I can do to help !!!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    2 strides for inhale, 2 strides for exhale. i had the same problem for awhile too i found that this does the trick
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Having trouble breathing is usually my clue that I'm running too fast and need to pace myself a little slower. :) I hope it gets easier for you.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with running/jogging because of my breathing. I get stitches all of the time. I have no idea what I'm doing or how to fix it - you aren't alone!!

I hear you exhale when the left foot (maybe the right??) strikes the ground, but I can imagine me hyperventilating, my strides aren't slow enough to breathe decently that way!

Good to know about the belly breathing!

Nose or mouth? Does it matter?
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It takes a LONG time to learn and train yourself to breath properly. I agree you need to be breathing with your belly not your chest. Google how to breath while running there are alot of helpful tips. And practice all the time not just while running.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, taking Pilates helped my breathing while running. You should be belly breathing and not chest breathing per say. Stick with it, it does get easier and if you have a day that you can't finish all the way, do it again until you can finish it. It will get easier the more you do it.

never did pilates but do the belly breathing. inhale push out your belly exhale suck belly in.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and always blame my crappy asthma lungs. I rarely ever breathe through my nose because thats just how I have lived my life. I just keep at it and see little improvements as I keep at it.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It takes a LONG time to learn and train yourself to breath properly. I agree you need to be breathing with your belly not your chest. Google how to breath while running there are alot of helpful tips. And practice all the time not just while running.

i do it on my 4 mile walk and even just sitting at my desk..
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I was getting started, a friend recommended that I concentrate on breathing out and let the breathing in go at its natural pace. Now that I've been running a while, I usually fall into a rhythm of 2 steps out, 2 steps in. Your respiration will get more efficient as you keep at it, I think.
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    I used to have the same problem when I first started last year. I'm not sure if it's proper or not but when I make a concious effort to not breath heavy and out of control, I am able to go for longer periods without stopping. I breath in through my nose long and deep, hold it for a second, then blow out through my mouth slooowly. That is the hard part....blowing out slowly because you're used to just breathing in and out through your mouth super fast.

Once you control your breathing this way and really concentrate on it, it gets easier and you will find you're not getting as winded and have to stop gulping for breaths. Also, sometimes I found that starting off you try to go too fast too soon. Just concentrate on jogging and not trying to do a 10 minute mile. In the beginning I would do about 13-14 minute mile but at least I wasn't stopping and worked up to 5K or 3.1 miles.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about breathing while running else I notice it is more labored. There are many folks that recommend breathing through your nose but I cannot get enough air in and out so my mouth is always open. One other idea would be to slow down your running a bit, being fairly new you may be pushing the pace to much.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Slow down.......run at a pace where you can comfortably carry on a conversation.

The more you run, the stronger your heart and body gets
    The stronger your heart and body is the faster you can run.

Give it time. You'll find that your speed at which you can converse increases dramatically.

Most of all have fun!
  • Aquamum9
    Aquamum9 Posts: 51
    Options
    When I was getting started, a friend recommended that I concentrate on breathing out and let the breathing in go at its natural pace. Now that I've been running a while, I usually fall into a rhythm of 2 steps out, 2 steps in. Your respiration will get more efficient as you keep at it, I think.

Definitely this! I struggled with breathing in the beginning myself. Once my fitness levels increased, I now take breaths every 2 steps in and 2 steps out.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange, but I've found that chewing gum helps. I don't know why. If I run without chewing gum I get stiches in my side which I think are from improper breathing. Give it a try :)!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your pace. For a fast walk or slow jog I do a 4 count. Every time my right (or left - doesn't matter) I'd count. 4 counts for an inhale, 4 exhale. A little faster pace I move to 3 and 3 or 3 and 2 (gets more air in and you need to push out hard on the exhale. Then 2 and 2. For the sprint to the finish line, with the leg turn over very fast, 1 and 1. That's for me - you need to find what suits you but don't be afraid to change it up a little. Get what works down pat before race day. You want to concentrate on passing the person in front of you and not your breathing.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    2 strides for inhale, 2 strides for exhale. i had the same problem for awhile too i found that this does the trick

This is what I do, too!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    My breathing evolved since I started running Jan 2013.
    1. 2 steps mouth in, 2 steps mouth out - for 1st few months. (impossible to do through nose at all)

2. 4 steps mouth in, 2 steps mouth out - after improving aerobic base I guess.

3. 4 steps nose in, 2 steps mouth out - about after 7 months (I wasn't able to do nose in before. but mouth in made me cough more. So practiced nose in again and was able to do nose in 80-90% of the whole run.

4. started practicing belly breathing when going uphills or running faster pace - about after 10 months.

5. 3 steps nose in, 2 steps mouth out - 1 year into running. (I read articles saying this allows alternating left/right foot landing when breathing out and helps evening out pressure on both feet instead on 1 foot, which helps reduce injuries)

I only go into 2 steps mouth in, 2 steps mouth out when running close to my max.
    ps, going out of breath means running too fast.