Why is running so hard??!!

Options
Hi guys,
I'm just nearing the end of Week 2 in my C25k program - I'm absolutely loving it!
I'm a bit confused really as I would say that beforehand I would have considered myself to be fairly fit. I can make it through high intensity workouts at the gym, love Body Attack, Body Pump and Spin and that kind of thing, however even running for a minute when I started this program was challenging! Why is this? Please tell me that running is going to unlock some miracle health benefits that no other exercise can!
My goals are the same as they have been since I started on my fitness quest - to lose fat and build muscle - I want the slim, strong sexy, athletic look! With that in mind, is there some kind of optimum distance that I should eventually run? I'm concerned that if I ran any longer than about 5k I would lose too much fat and muscle?
Thanks in advance,
Tina x

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    however even running for a minute when I started this program was challenging!

It's just different to what you've done before. It is hard work, but well worth it, not least the improvements in your endurance.
    I'm concerned that if I ran any longer than about 5k I would lose too much fat and muscle?

5K isn't a lengthy session, it has a solid effect on your calorie balance and will help with muscle development in the legs, although you'll also need to work on core stability and strength somehow.

Many runners find a reduction in bodyfat percentage, personally I've reduced mine by a third in a year. Some respondents will probably try to tell you that CV work eats muscle, that's only a consideration when you're doing very long sessions without eating adequately.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    To some extent, I think we're all a little bit different. I was just talking with a friend who does marathons and he did CrossFit several times and found it really hard. For me, I can do 2 CrossFit classes in one day and lift heavy 2 hours and do yoga (no joke) in same day but on the other hand, running a 5K is really hard for me. I've finished C25K and have been running off and on for a couple of years.

I think a lot of it is mental but for some reason I just find it so much more uncomfortable than almost any other exercise. That being said, I do trail run because I think it breaks up the monotony a bit and lets me hang out in nature. I'll keep working on it, but I don't see it being my primary thing at any point because I just don't want to work that hard at liking something.
  • Abowles27
    Abowles27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's because everything is slightly different and uses different muscles. One person said on another discussion board before the only way you would lose fat and muscle would be running like 100 miles a week and I think their opinion is correct in that sense. They compared sprinters to marathoners because their body types are completely different. I doubt even running 5 miles in a day would be bad but one way to help that someone else mentioned is strength training because running you lose fat but you won't really lose muscle unless you run an insane amount all the time like my friend who likes to run 30 miles in a day just because. And strength training will help you gain muscle while you're losing fat while running which I think is good. Also, losing fat isn't bad unless you're at a low fat percentage.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that if I ran any longer than about 5k I would lose too much fat and muscle?

Don't be. Fitness models put in some cardio and they are extremely cognizant of their muscles and have no desire to lose any. They maintain a slow pace and do a couple 20-30 minute runs a week. Though even that's way overstating it. You could likely run FAR more each week and not see any appreciable muscle loss.

Bottom line: Unless you're a fitness model, you don't have to worry about the duration of your runs unless you start serious marathon training.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I run 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week for the past few years for cutting without any noticable muscle loss.. I cut back to one 3-5 mile run a week while bulking in the winter.