Help please

Options
My weight loss journey started last summer (June 2013). I am 5'11. In June 2013, I weighed a little over 200 pounds. I began dieting (earing 1700-1900 calories per day) and exercising about 5-6 days a week. I would do hot yoga (60-90 min) for about 2-3 times a week, and would run/jog about 0.5-1 mile for about 2 days of the week. Using this method, I lost about 15 pound in a little over 2 months. My lowest weight was about 185 pounds in September. I stayed between 185-188 pounds from September to November living the same lifestyle. But over the holidays, I became lazy, ate too much, and didn't exercise enough. I gained nearly all of the weight back and weight 198 a few days after Christmas. I began using the same diet and exercise I used before. However, since then, I have only lost about 3 pounds. My weight is currently at 195 pounds and has remained there even after I cut my calories down to about 1500-1600 (from (1800) about two weeks ago and added more cardio and weight training to my exercise routine. The scale remains stubbornly stuck at 195. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on what I should do? My BMR is 2012.55 calories, so it doesn't make any sense why I haven't been losing anything for over 4 months now

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Get and use a food scale if you aren't.

My suggestion is eat at a 2k target, pursue a structured lifting program, and relax a bit.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey started last summer (June 2013). I am 5'11. In June 2013, I weighed a little over 200 pounds. I began dieting (earing 1700-1900 calories per day) and exercising about 5-6 days a week. I would do hot yoga (60-90 min) for about 2-3 times a week, and would run/jog about 0.5-1 mile for about 2 days of the week. Using this method, I lost about 15 pound in a little over 2 months. My lowest weight was about 185 pounds in September. I stayed between 185-188 pounds from September to November living the same lifestyle. But over the holidays, I became lazy, ate too much, and didn't exercise enough. I gained nearly all of the weight back and weight 198 a few days after Christmas. I began using the same diet and exercise I used before. However, since then, I have only lost about 3 pounds. My weight is currently at 195 pounds and has remained there even after I cut my calories down to about 1500-1600 (from (1800) about two weeks ago and added more cardio and weight training to my exercise routine. The scale remains stubbornly stuck at 195. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on what I should do? My BMR is 2012.55 calories, so it doesn't make any sense why I haven't been losing anything for over 4 months now

Since losing is about staying in a calorie deficit, that should be your first priority. Weigh/measure/log every bite - every day. Use a food scale for all solids and measuring cups/spoon for liquids. Then I strongly recommend that you read the following link. It contains a LOT of helpful information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

You need to eat less and exercise more
  • michaelbuford
    Options
    Eat more. Your BMR might be 2013 calories but if your working out hard like that you might be burning anywhere from 3000-3500 calories everyday depending on your weight. Your caloric deficit shouldn't be more than 500 calories/day and 3500 calories/week to lose 1 lbs. of pure body fat/week ( 1 lbs of fat is roughly equal to 3500 calories).

Edit: It is recognized that majority of people will only lose 3-10 lbs of pure body fat a month depending on weight. Unless your 300+ Obese your more likely to fit into this category. Anything over this amount is more than likely either best case scenario water and worst case scenario muscle weight.

Fun Facts: Google Starvation Mode
  • hilts1969
    Options
    Eat more. Your BMR might be 2013 calories but if your working out hard like that you might be burning anywhere from 3000-3500 calories everyday depending on your weight. Your caloric deficit shouldn't be more than 500 calories/day and 3500 calories/week to lose 1 lbs. of pure body fat/week ( 1 lbs of fat is roughly equal to 3500 calories).

Eat more and lose weight? do you sell sand to arabs?
  • michaelbuford
    Options
    You poke fun but I had to drop 100 lbs 6 years ago to join the army. I did it the wrong way and lost a huge amount of muscle mass. I'm not say over eat. I'm saying that from experience this has helped me.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    You poke fun but I had to drop 100 lbs 6 years ago to join the army. I did it the wrong way and lost a huge amount of muscle mass. I'm not say over eat. I'm saying that from experience this has helped me.

Not poking fun my friend but telling someone to eat more to lose weight is just bad advice, i have done the weight and muscle loss thing, the answer is to exercise lift weights and diet, if you are not losing weight eat less
  • michaelbuford
    Options
    Lets just put it like this, I had an issue that unfortunately was a catalyst for weight gain. I was 300 before I realized it. That was 4 months ago. I plateaued 3 weeks ago at 280 lbs, I upped my protein and carb intake and that raised my overall calories by about 200-300. I'm happy to say i'm at 270 as of yesterday. I'm only putting out what has been proven to work. If he said that he's already dropped his calories and increased his exercise how is dropping and increasing again gonna do anything. Do you know the definition of insanity?