Total body recomp- much firmer all over except glutes?

Options
I have been having some pretty great success with my strength training routine so far- everything feels tighter in an upright position except for my glutes. Wondering if I should be adding in some additional exercises or if I should just give it some more time?

I am currently following this program: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
Running 3-4 days a week, stair treadmill 2x a week and elliptical on the other days.

I have a pretty small butt to begin with, but I would love for it to firm up the way the rest of my body has started to :)

Replies

• la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Perfect- thank you :):flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts or bridges are awesome

But how far along are you with the program?
  • mandamerlot
    Options

I'm on my 4th week with the program, but I have been strength training for an additional 2 months. I really just started increasing my lift weights when I started the program though to be honest. Was throwing around barbie weights prior to this.

(Though by some definition, some of my exercises are still done with barbie weights haha)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I'm on my 4th week with the program, but I have been strength training for an additional 2 months. I really just started increasing my lift weights when I started the program though to be honest. Was throwing around barbie weights prior to this.

(Though by some definition, some of my exercises are still done with barbie weights haha)

Well, the firming of your glutes may not be "felt" as much as the rest because the first 4 weeks seemed more focused on upper. Per the program, starting the 5th week, the lower body/leg days will increase.

Again, hip thrusts are awesome, but just know that it might take a few months before you see certain results :) Since the lower body days are going to increase, I'd follow the program as is.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

Well, the firming of your glutes may not be "felt" as much as the rest because the first 4 weeks seemed more focused on upper. Per the program, starting the 5th week, the lower body/leg days will increase.

Again, hip thrusts are awesome, but just know that it might take a few months before you see certain results :) Since the lower body days are going to increase, I'd follow the program as is.

The program headings are incorrectly labelled- the exercises remain the same wk 1-12, just the reps/weight change.
    It's a 4 day split
    Mon/Thur Upper
    Tues/Fri Lower
  • PikaKnight
    Options

The program headings are incorrectly labelled- the exercises remain the same wk 1-12, just the reps/weight change.
    It's a 4 day split
    Mon/Thur Upper
    Tues/Fri Lower

Oh. You're right on that. I was wondering why so much focus on upper body :laugh:

So are you progressing regularly with the actual weight with each of the exercises (mostly squats and deadlifts)? Aside from the hip thrusts and pushing weight progression, maybe increase some of the sets from 3 to 5? At least on the lower body exercises?

(Like with the squats. I wouldn't suggest it on the deadlifts or leg extensions (depending on the weight).

Other leg work that you could include (if you really really want to)...are lunges, rear lunges, walking lunges, bulgarian squats, cosack squats, and pistol squats.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    throw in some front squats as well.. straight leg deadlifts to not neglect the hamstrings. otherwise PikaKnight mentioned some great leg variations.
  • mandamerlot
    Options
    Great suggestions, thank you.

If I increase the sets, would I decrease the weight a bit? Or do the first 3 with my max weight and the last 2 with a lower weight? I have quite a bit of soreness still, especially at the end of the week, the last two days seem to really kill me.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

So are you progressing regularly with the actual weight with each of the exercises (mostly squats and deadlifts)? Aside from the hip thrusts and pushing weight progression, maybe increase some of the sets from 3 to 5? At least on the lower body exercises?

(Like with the squats. I wouldn't suggest it on the deadlifts or leg extensions (depending on the weight).

Yes I am progressing :) Which is why I was surprised to feel that my booty was still lacking when the rest of me was beginning to tighten. When I started I was just using a 20lb barbell for both DL's and squats. I am up to 85 pounds on the squat in the cage, though my form suffers so I drop down for the last set and I am DL'ing 60lbs now.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    I don't really have any suggestions for you but just wanted to say thanks for posting that workout program you are doing. This is exactly what I've been looking for! I always feel like a chicken with my head cut off at the gym trying to figure out what I'm going to do next lol. This seems like a great start :)