LIFTING LADIES!! Help please!! kinda long

Options
mimiteh35
mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
Ok ladies, this is a 2-parter: First, I REALLY want to do the stronglift 5x5, just doing squats with regular hand weights lately has shown such a difference in my legs/*kitten* that I want to do more! My only worry is that I have a weak lower back, so would some of these workouts HURT my back? My back went out a few years back, I didn't have insurance and never got it checked out, but since I started exercising it stops hurting as much, but there are still things I have trouble doing or it will hurt sometimes bending in certain ways, which makes me think its just bcause I'm bending all my 200 lbs of weight around and doing it wrong.

This in turns leads to my second part, I want to join the ONLY gym in our small town, which is ALL WEIGHTS, but there are pretty much only guys in this gym, its small and makes me nervous. I've already heard that lifting will bulk me from any guys I talk to, and my own fiance has even said he is afraid that if I try to do heavy lifting that I will....you guessed it...BULK.

Every picture I show them from the forums of the hotness girls on here, but they happen to be flexing to show the muscles, so the guys are like "see that's bulky".... so could I ask anyone willing to share their pics of their hotness not flexing, so that they can see for themselves (and further my OWN MOTIVATION to get doing this) that you only have the muscles bulking when you purposely flex, that it looks beautiful and toned when you aren't purposely flexed. I have a long way to go to my weight loss, and I'm 40 yrs old, so a few older women showing off their sexiness would be awesome too. Remember, this is something I'm going to show my fiance and the guys at the gym who say I will just get bulky.

I feel intimidated by the negativity from men towards me wanting to do this, especially given that the gym is all men here in small town USA.

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    59eaf65c7d96c09610490719d3d820cd.jpg

I started stonglifts and have noticed that as long as I maintain correct form I don't have any pain. Strengthening those muscles makes them stronger and therefore less prone to injury... My doc once told me the worst thing you can do with back pain is stop strengthening it bc it gets weaker and therefore worsens the issue (this does not apply to recent back *injury* however, and obviously if you're not doing the move correctly..)

Females will not bulk without supplements, I also keep hearing you can't bulk on a calorie deficit but not 100% on that. We just don't have the genetics for it either way. And worst case scenario, just cut back some if you get too muscular for your taste.

https://www.google.com/search?q=female+lifting&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=3ThbU-SYFYTmsASa74GAAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=942#q=female+fitness+model+off+season&tbm=isch&imgdii=_
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Click through these threads- there are some wonderful examples here! Or try searching 'female lifting success' or something similar in the forums, and you're bound to find something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1247836-i-was-warned-heavy-lifting-causes-bulkiness-update-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1262684-post-your-re-comp-before-and-afters-please
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky

Women just don't have the testosterone to get muscles as big as guys do. Unless you're a genetic outlier or using steroids, it ain't gonna happen. Lots of slender, svelte ladies on this website are squatting and deadlifting heavier than their body weight, and they are not bulky by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as your back issues go, get on YouTube and look up proper form for the lifts you'll be performing. If you don't have a trainer or a gym buddy to monitor your form during exercises, record yourself from several angles with your phone or camera performing the exercises with an empty bar or with no weights at all. That will show you what you need to work on and decrease your risk of injury. Choose a weight you're comfortable with and have good control over until your form is perfect, and increase the weight each workout if you can. 'Good mornings' and back extensions/ Supermans are good back strength exercises as long as you choose an appropriate starting weight.

It sucks that so many people are trying to discourage you. Stronglifts is a great program and will definitely give you great results if you're diligent. I wish you the best of luck. You're doing this for all the right reasons- don't let anyone stand in your way.
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have (or had) a bad back from acar accident. At first there would be days that i would be in so much pain that i just lie on the floor and couldn't move. This was a few years ago. Since then it got better but would still hurt if lie in one position too much or sitting or doing cleaning around the house. I started sl in february. I dont know when it happened but i no longer having back issues. I can lie in bed reading with no pain.

I am moving slowly with sl -not always adding 5lbs each day. I Increasing when i can. I really recomend lifting. For squats, i just started with body weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SL 5x5 for 6 months...prior to that resistence training with weights ie bodyweight lunges holding hand weights and in that time I have lost over 20inches all over, I have gone from a size 12 to a size 5/6. I weigh 156 lbs.

I went from bulky to lean...when I flex can you see muscle definiton...sure can...when I stretch my shoulders are defined...when I stand my butt is perky, when I walk my legs show the muslce...if that is those guys defintion of bulky hand them a websters...

My profile pics show befores and afters...but so you don't have to go digging top right is me bulky at 205...bottom right is me after 2 months of resistence training 175 the LBD is me in Nov 3 months into lifting not so bulky not flexed...in a size small knit dress.

337cf4fe-0b1f-4ec4-a6ec-d2e551f7d567_zpse8037836.jpg

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

As you can tell this myth is wide spread...otherwise there wouldn't be so many threads dispelling it.

And for men to say it..psh just assume they are threatened cause they will have to share the squat rack and/or you will be able to lift more than them...:bigsmile:
  • Leggo1288
    Leggo1288 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started stronglifts about a week and a half ago and call me crazy but I'm already seeing some small changes. I am also eating at a slight deficit. I too was afraid to lift in front of guys, but I just went in there with my chin up. People will get to know you, and eventually just stop caring. Your confidence also increases with each time you go.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Look at the links posted above....and search these boards.
    Go to the gym, put earphones and don't give a heck about anyone, do this for you, you won't regret it
    Now go lift something heavy
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh, well! I lift in a small gym full of teenage guys. At the beginning they were looking at me from the corners of their eyes because it looks like I'm not just the only woman lifting in this particular gym but in whole dam* country as well. :laugh: I've never, ever seen another woman doing squats with 60 kg on her shoulders. Now they've got used to me, we say a few words and I suspect someone left a banana in secret for me after my last workout, hahaha....hope I didn't look too weak.

If you intend to do Stronglifts 5*5, be very careful with your form with Bent Over Rows and Deadlifts. Use lighter weight and progres very slowly. Heavy lifting actually prevents back ache if done properly.

As for bulking...I can see biceps bulk if I flex my arms but if relaxed my upper arms just look thin and sexy. It will take a long and hard work before you see a muscle on your body too. First you will need to shred excess fat. Now go and show this small town how a lady lifts heavy. .:drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    FFS. :yawn:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Been lifting for the better part of a year. Smaller, lighter, but certainly not bulky. Keep your diet in order, pay attention to form, and ignore anyone who has anything rude to say.

Vzgfpwy.jpg?1

DjPXWWa.jpg?1

EYxFOzo.jpg?1

Edit: Added one with less of my babby muscles.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to convince anyone to "let" you do anything. You are a grown up. Just do it. They will see the results when you get there.

But me not flexed:
    20127619_3180.jpg

Flexed:
    20127619_4543.jpg
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

false. Too many cupcakes or anything else will make anyone fat. I always hate this meme. Stop hating on the cupcakes :)

Op, join the gym. Have someone show you proper form so you don't hurt yourself.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

false. Too many cupcakes or anything else will make anyone fat. I always hate this meme. Stop hating on the cupcakes :)

Op, join the gym. Have someone show you proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake as I write this. I'll be hyooge any minute! :drinker:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights back in June of last year. Lost 53 lbs while doing so. My mom used to try to tell me she got bulky from working at an ice cream shop when she was younger. She warned me not to lift over 50 lbs... I don't listen very well. I'm close to a 200 lb 1 RM on Deadlift. If you live your life worried what other people think, you'll be forever miserable searching for acceptance. Don't worry about what anyone has to say. Be you.
    in78jk.jpg
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'd tell your boyfriend not to be afraid. If it's such a big worry to him let him do his own research, you don't need to be addressing his issues. Finally, so what if you wanted to bulk up?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I feel intimidated by the negativity from men towards me wanting to do this, especially given that the gym is all men here in small town USA.

they're just scared you'll be able to lift more weight than them
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to the men in your life about lifting and just get out there and lift.

I was bulky at 190lbs and a size 16. 14 months of lifting heavy, sporadic cardio and eating at a deficit for all but 18 weeks of it ( 2 attempts at bulking and eating all da foodz) I'm down to 145lbs and a size 4/5. Guess which bulky I prefer being.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting about 2 months ago (sorry no pics yet) and I was VERY nervous about all the men. I took the advice the others gave me and just went in with my headphones on and did my thing. I also take in a notebook with me and my workouts are already pre-planned. So I know EXACTLY what I'm going to do. That makes it a lot easier. The first day is the hardest, each day gets easier and easier. I don't notice anyone starring or being rude. The other lifters are pretty focused on what they need to get done. I do still feel a little uncomfortable with the minute or so in between sets--but I'm at the gym to accomplish a goal, so I just go with it.

As for getting bulky...it can take a lot of time to get bulky. It does not happen overnight. It can take YEARS. So if lifting is what you are into, you do not need anyone's approval.

I do not have any advice on the program you are interested in other than to say, take it slow, practice form, and concentrate on improvement at each training session. When I first started I could barely do 5lbs on a bicep curl!

Good luck and have fun!:smile:
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Get some professional advice,lifting class etc..be careful, I've read some threds where people here have "slipped discs" and one poor person almost paralysed by lifting incorrectly-it is very possible to be strong and sexy and get the body you want.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    How "bulky" you become depends on what you put in your body (food, steroids, etc.). and your hormones far more than what you lift. You aren't going to suddenly wake up one day with the ripped physique of a body builder who has a very specific training and dietary regimen for that look. Doing heavy lifts that engage multiple muscle groups like Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength is a different approach than isolation lifts designed to pump you up. If you somehow do overshoot your desired look, it's real easy to stop lifting and eat at a surplus to soften out again.

At the gym, put on an ipod with songs that fire you up and walk in like you own the place. Believe in yourself and others will too. I belong to a gym that isn't fancy and there are all types in there. Everyone there is pretty much focused on their own thing. I bet you'll find that at least a few of them will be willing to help and check your form when you need it. Once you have been doing it a couple weeks, if your form is good, you will be feeling more powerful, more positive. You'll love gym day from there on out.

And seriously check out the great links that the others here have shared. You got this. :smile: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!