Help overpowering cravings?

I eat good for a while, but then i start wanting something greasy and sugary, and once i start, i can't stop :/ how do you all overpower or redirect these frustrating diet crushers?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Eat things you like in moderation
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Like chocolate? Split it up in tiny little pieces, eat pieces. Buy only the "snack sizes" or "fun size" ones. Put the rest in the freezer. Have a bit of self control.

It will be tough at first, but you have to know what you'd rather have.. A goal to meet with restraint or unhappiness due to a mess up.

Good luck :3

Edit: Chocolate was an example.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I eat good for a while, but then i start wanting something greasy and sugary, and once i start, i can't stop :/ how do you all overpower or redirect these frustrating diet crushers?

Have what you want, but be smart and plan ahead. Buy a single serving, eat it, log the calories. If you think you're going to have problems controlling yourself, don't buy large packages. Go get a doughnut. Just one. Enjoy.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Mint. I eat a mint or chew gum or brush my teeth. If I am genuinely peckish a milky coffee will usually curb my appetite till mealtime. I have been substituting sugary snacks for over a year now, and I am happy to say I barely crave them at all. I am actually at the park right now with my friends son. I just bought him an ice cream, none for me. I didn't have to wrestle with myself over it, I just didn't want one. I never thought I would see the day I turned down ice cream. Not suggesting it was easyy getting to this stage, but boy am I glad I did :-) And as for greasy food. I haven't eaten it in so long it actually makes me feel a little sick now.
    A little bit of what you fancy does you good. What a crock of *kitten*. That's why we are all here in the first place!
  • laureneliset
    laureneliset Posts: 50 Member
    Understanding the reasons for your cravings is key to figuring out how to overpower them.

For example - yesterday I let myself get too hungry (and then tired) at the end of the work day so instead of the healthy meal I had planned to cook, on the way home from work I bought takeaway and a bag of jelly sweets. I wolfed down the lot within 5 minutes of opening the front door and felt both sick and guilty the rest of the evening. The lesson I learned: make sure I don't let myself get too hungry by keeping healthy high-protein snacks in my desk at work, so I can curb my hunger for the trip home and cooking dinner without falling victim to craving more convenient unhealthy things.

I have a number of triggers and maybe you do too, you just need to figure out what they are so you can take steps to avoid and/or manage them. Otherwise, I agree with others, letting yourself have something "guilt free" in moderation is more sustainable than an outright ban which has the psychological effect of making them more desirable.
  • Xxoxo
    Xxoxo Posts: 233
    Drinking green tea helps curb cravings and if you sip on something like water in-between bites it will help you get fuller so you don't want to eat as much.
    Sugar is like cocaine. It's addicting. Try replacing it with honey! Honey is a healthy alternative and isn't nearly addicting, if at all.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    I use a combination of these.... If it was down to me, there wouldn't be biscuits or chocolate in the house, but my wife does the shopping and the kids like them. So, if I want some chocolate I have to go to the fridge to get it, and then I only have 1 or 2 pieces. Similarly, I will have 1 biscuit with a mug of tea in the evening.

Understanding my triggers helps me head things off at the pass to avoid the situation in the first place. If I have more than 2 bottles of beer, I tend to start raiding the crisps cupboard so I enjoy 1 bottle and that will be it, unless I plan more in. Likewise, the other day I was out with my boss and we had lunch at McD. It was a poor choice and by 4:30 I was hungry so further good choices went out the window.

Similarly, 2 days ago I didn't get time for lunch until about 4pm by which time I ate the first thing I could get (which actually wasn't that bad) but this back-ended into dinner and screwed me that way.

Evenings are a weak time for me, and sometimes all the planning and self control in the world isn't going to help. I have been able to recognise this situation before it gets out of hand and will make myself a proper sandwich or similar that will actually satiate the cravings before I have devoured the chocolate / crisps / cheese / biscuits / pretzels et al. As I tell the kids - a bowl of ice cream wont actually fill you up!!!!

Lastly, whatever it does to your day, LOG IT!!! Even having those numbers turn red is often enough motivation to me to get my head out of the trough. You can then use the Weekly Average total to get back on track and know where you are. Knowledge is power!!

It''s not easy, but you can make it a lot easier for yourself with a bit of thinking and planning. Good luck, and let us know how you get on!!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    you gotta reprogram yourself

any excuse is a bad excuse

"i dont know how to stop cravings" is not a valid excuse... you do know... buy less food and dont buy things you have no self control with

wriet down all your BS scapegoats and stop using them. No rationalization will do any good.

a bit off topic, but, this is why some people swear by "clean" eating.. they lack the capacity for self control when left to their own devices