Problem with RICE

Options
okay here is the problem.. I eat well balanced meal during school days (i'm a student) but on weekends I dont want to eat anything else besides rice( not even the good nutritious rice.. I only eat white rice) ...ugh...nothing else is appealing enough for me to eat on the weekend.. and even though I eat alot of rice I usually dont meet my calorie requirement because i'm too stuffed to eat anymore..(over in carbohydrate, so low in fat and protein) yes I can not live with out my rice because it's a part of my culture... (yes I'm chinese)....How can I stop that? or at least switch to a more nutritious alternative..I want to eat balanced meal throughout the week and the weekend but lack a little willpower when it come to RICE...:laugh:
ps. thank

Replies

• dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    okay here is the problem.. I eat well balanced meal during school days (i'm a student) but on weekends I dont want to eat anything else besides rice( not even the good nutritious rice.. I only eat white rice) ...ugh...nothing else is appealing enough for me to eat on the weekend.. and even though I eat alot of rice I usually dont meet my calorie requirement because i'm too stuffed to eat anymore..(over in carbohydrate, so low in fat and protein) yes I can not live with out my rice because it's a part of my culture... (yes I'm chinese)....How can I stop that? or at least switch to a more nutritious alternative..I want to eat balanced meal throughout the week and the weekend but lack a little willpower when it come to RICE...:laugh:
    ps. thank
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I understand that in your culture, brown rice is considered dirty rice, so brown rice won't solve the rice issue...but how about wild rice?

I love steamed vegetables and brown or wild rice...and ofcourse stir fry vegetables are fine if you just use a tiny bit of canola oil and don't sauce them up to much except with some fresh tomato...and you could add some almond slivers as well...what do think? I hope this helps.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I understand that in your culture, brown rice is considered dirty rice, so brown rice won't solve the rice issue...but how about wild rice?

I love steamed vegetables and brown or wild rice...and ofcourse stir fry vegetables are fine if you just use a tiny bit of canola oil and don't sauce them up to much except with some fresh tomato...and you could add some almond slivers as well...what do think? I hope this helps.
    I was wondering why the brown rice is called dirty rice? I bought a box of it and it was very good and didn't seem to raise my blood sugar as high as white rice. I seen others recommend it on here, is that a bad thing?
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I like to fix my rice with fresh sliced mushrooms , onions and green peppers, which won't give you a lot more calories plus I use chicken bouillon crystals to flavor it up more. Some times I put already baked chicken breast with it. Which the chicken does give you more calories, I don't know if you are vegetarian. But Fish is also good with rice.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Can you put some seafood in this stir-fry vegetables? I remember Chinese girls in the campus where I lived used them a lot. Maybe fish? That would be a good source of protein for you.
    Maybe you can make a salad - rice+some raw vegies+tuna[optional]+a little mayo.
    And what would you say for rice+fresh fruits on top+some vanilla yogurt on that?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ya i'd say stirfry. Some veggies, a little sauce and some protein and you're good. I like to have the rice on the side of my stir fry because I don't like how it tastes with the sauce mixed into it. lol. :drinker:
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Not sure how much you want to cook (or not), but try doing a hot-pot with your rice. If you have everything, it just takes a few minutes. Not sure how your family does it, but we use fish balls, dried scallops, etc along with the veggies and serve it with the rice. That way you will get your protein :)

Do you like mushrooms? Just add some of those. Sometimes, I add part of a raw egg yolk and a bit of soy sauce to the rice and have that for breakfast (yes, I am careful about salmonella. They are my friend's chickens); it is really good for you.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Not sure how much you want to cook (or not), but try doing a hot-pot with your rice. If you have everything, it just takes a few minutes. Not sure how your family does it, but we use fish balls, dried scallops, etc along with the veggies and serve it with the rice. That way you will get your protein :)

Do you like mushrooms? Just add some of those. Sometimes, I add part of a raw egg yolk and a bit of soy sauce to the rice and have that for breakfast (yes, I am careful about salmonella. They are my friend's chickens); it is really good for you.

This is a great idea. I don't think Rice is so much your problem as just not getting enough of the other essentials along with it. I love rice as well, and it has become somewhat a staple of my diet as well (I'm not chinese, but it still rocks :wink: ). Try adding different meats etc to it. I even get a protein forified salsa, some black beans and a little hot sauce. MMMMM....that's good eatin. (Protein, fiber, low sugar and calories) It rocks.
  • dachinababe
    Options
    thanx guys for all the wonderful suggestion but the thing is im a vegetarian as well... i know im problematic..I will definitely try stir fry some veggie in..since i dont eat enough of them... it's a little frustrating for being a vegetarian because i don't eat a balanced diet or enough calories..ugh..
    :flowerforyou: happy weekend one and all..
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I didn't have time to read all the posts so sorry if someone has already said this!!
    But, I eat Basmati rice. It is yummy, and white, but it is also a lot more nutricious than normal long grain white rice and it is a lot lower GI. I started eating this rice instead of normal white rice when i tried a low GI diet and have stuck with it.

Hope this helps
    Amanda:flowerforyou:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I eat peanut stir fries all the time. Use a little bit of natural peanut butter and soy sauce, or buy a yummy peanut sauce.

That will help with the calories and protein!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for the stir fry idea! Just toss some broccoli, onions, peppers, and some tofu in a wok or pan, whichever you have access to along with a tiny bit of lowfat oil - I think water can work too, but I'm not sure.

I agree with you though, a big rice meal makes it hard to eat much of anything else!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I was wondering why the brown rice is called dirty rice? I bought a box of it and it was very good and didn't seem to raise my blood sugar as high as white rice. I seen others recommend it on here, is that a bad thing?

Hi Aunt Karen...dirty rice is just a nickname for brown rice...brown rice is better for you, it is a whole grain, takes longer for the body to break down...white rice turns to sugar when digested...see you around!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    My hubby and I eat peanut stir fries all the time. Use a little bit of natural peanut butter and soy sauce, or buy a yummy peanut sauce.

That will help with the calories and protein!

Agreed, this is good stuff!
  • dachinababe
    Options
    Ima go cook me up some vegetable and rice....yummm....
    THANX:flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could mix your rice half and half with some other grain..like bulgar or wild rice. I personally LOVE white rice as well and eat it several times a week with dinner.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Since you are a vegetarian, you may not eat eggs, but my ex used to scramble up eggs with rice and cheese for breakfast. Sounds icky, but it really wasn't bad.