Self Sabotage

Options
I've been at losing weight for almost a year now. I've been stuck now for the past two months. Working out 3~4 days a week for total of 5 to 6 hours. Is do a good burn, mix up classes and weights. Was eating 1200 calories, but I've reached a point of serious joint muscle pain and lack of energy, so upped the calorie intake. Having done that, I'm finding myself and my thinking I can eat that and work it off.....thus eating too much. Find myself thinking that it's not going to make a huge difference if I eat that because I'm stuck weight wise. After a week of eating many things I usually don't, exercise the same no loss, no gain. I'm finding myself a place that maybe my body is done?? 5 ft 6 inches. Still weighing in at 180. Body fat stagnant at 12.5%. Anymore time at the gym I find very difficult, or maybe it's just me making excuses. Don't have a specific workout buddy, classes keep me motivated. Just because I've lost doesn't give me an excuse to eat whatever I want. I wish I could crave carrots instead of other crap.

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    We all go through it. I lost my first 27 pounds and was on top of the world and then my body just stopped. Sabotage. I have tried many new things but my mind and body sabotage me and I end up making horrible food decisions. Is ok to give in from time to time but making sure that is only 20%; the other 80% has to be good, healthy choices. Hard work does pay off in the end. We are human and we will fall, get back on my feet, we fall again. Is life. Important thing is to live it.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Still weighing in at 180. Body fat stagnant at 12.5%.

Is it even possible to have less than 12.5% body fat? Wow. Honest question.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    define "other crap"…? you can eat the foods you want and lose weight. I eat ice cream regularly and am down about nine pounds on my most recent cut.

As far as not losing…do you own a food scale? Weigh, log measure, everything? If you are not losing, you are not in a calorie deficit, which means that you need to re-examine your eating and logging habits.

As for the working out, maybe getting on a structured program will help? Something like strong lifts, 5x5, or new rules of of lifting for woman?

How much did you increase your calories to?
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I'm thinking typing error? Or calculating error?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

probably an inaccurate measure..

OP - what did you use to measure this?

for a woman 12.5% body fat would be competition mode/extremely low….
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Go to your diary and view printable reports from March 1 - today's date. Your calorie intake seems to be okay for the most part if you are tracking accurately and honestly. But you are consistently low on proteins (I would increase proteins to help maintain muscle which will burn calories more efficiently) and your sodium is high often. The pattern I see is a few days of high sodium then one or two of low sodium, then you jump back up to high sodium again. It's possible you are retaining water weight because of your sodium intake.
  • ohiowhthse
    ohiowhthse Posts: 38
    Options
    Nope its not an error . I'm back up to body fat percentage of about 14% now. I'm having a very difficult time with exercise. My heart rate is becoming very difficult to get up now. I'm still dedicated to group exercise but its becoming less and less helpful. The crap ism heating tends to deal with alcohol consumption, and salty things. I've even been less dedicated to being honest on my pal. Does anyone else tend to go through these spells???
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nope its not an error . I'm back up to body fat percentage of about 14% now. I'm having a very difficult time with exercise. My heart rate is becoming very difficult to get up now. I'm still dedicated to group exercise but its becoming less and less helpful. The crap ism heating tends to deal with alcohol consumption, and salty things. I've even been less dedicated to being honest on my pal. Does anyone else tend to go through these spells???

I don't see how you can be 5'6, 180 lbs and be at anything lower than 20% BF. Certainly not 12 or 14%. Sorry, but however you're doing that calculation, it is not correct.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've been at losing weight for almost a year now. I've been stuck now for the past two months. Working out 3~4 days a week for total of 5 to 6 hours. Is do a good burn, mix up classes and weights. Was eating 1200 calories, but I've reached a point of serious joint muscle pain and lack of energy, so upped the calorie intake. Having done that, I'm finding myself and my thinking I can eat that and work it off.....thus eating too much. Find myself thinking that it's not going to make a huge difference if I eat that because I'm stuck weight wise. After a week of eating many things I usually don't, exercise the same no loss, no gain. I'm finding myself a place that maybe my body is done?? 5 ft 6 inches. Still weighing in at 180. Body fat stagnant at 12.5%. Anymore time at the gym I find very difficult, or maybe it's just me making excuses. Don't have a specific workout buddy, classes keep me motivated. Just because I've lost doesn't give me an excuse to eat whatever I want. I wish I could crave carrots instead of other crap.

I'm 5'10" with a Bod Pod verified 12% BF at 155lbs... and you're 5'6", 180lbs at a [corrected] 14%? Something ain't addin' up here...
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I go through self sabotage spells when I am stressed. But what I learned to do is start asking myself a bunch of hard hitting questions until I realize what it is that I'm trying to escape from with food. I now can happily say I haven't had more than 2-3 days of ruin before I get back to it.
    You learn to become a very efficient self-therapist, and these self destructive patterns star to be less frequent and less destructive.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How are you coming up with the %. I am less then that is weight and not in the 12%- 15% for body fat. What formula are you using? Are you getting it from a professional who can do the calculations for you?
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I don't see how you can be 5'6, 180 lbs and be at anything lower than 20% BF. Certainly not 12 or 14%. Sorry, but however you're doing that calculation, it is not correct.

I know it's not the point of the post but I can't let it go...

12-14% BF is VERY low for a woman. Sorry but it's not correct.
    I am 5'6" and at around 126lbs I am at 16.5% BF. 12% would be competition level for bodybuilder/bikini contest... And I can tell you that at 16.5% I'm FAR from being there. It's not happening at 180 lbs even with a whole lot of muscles.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I do believe that you should Google female at 12% (or even 14%) body fat. Something tells me those gals will look quite different from you. (no offense, but that should clarify)

I think many people (including me) get a bit 'lax' from time to time about weighing, measuring, portion control, whatever.

When I get 'lazy', i try to establish a new goal (maybe not weight related... maybe strength or clothing related) or give myself something to look forward to (like a weekend trip or something)

good luck.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I am 5'6" and at around 126lbs I am at 16.5% BF. 12% would be competition level for bodybuilder/bikini contest... And I can tell you that at 16.5% I'm FAR from being there. It's not happening at 180 lbs even with a whole lot of muscles.

Maybe we can put Brock Lesnar in a dress?

1374079446_3652_brock-lesnar.jpg
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Maybe we can put Brock Lesnar in a dress?

1374079446_3652_brock-lesnar.jpg

What about Jacques Rougeau ?
  • ohiowhthse
    ohiowhthse Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm actually using the scale at the gym which measures weight and body fat with hydration. I've used the hand scale at clinic as well. Maybe I'm wrong but that's not the whole point of my post. I've been doing less strength and my fat is going up. My question was about self sabotage, thanks to those who were sincere on questioning me and being friendly concerned. I'll do my best to figure that out, but no need to be a jerk about it.