Banana's are killing my Total sugar allowance each day

Options
Banana's are killing my total sugar count each day...I LOVE them though!

If I can only have something like 27g of sugar and the banana (large by size according to the website) is 17g and the 2% milk I use is 12 g. I am just about spent.

I have extra calories to eat today (before I exercise) but am over my sugar allowance.

ANY suggestions??

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I tend to count only about half the amount of sugars from fresh fruits & veggies. I think it's more important to count the refined sugars and such. So if the banana is 27, I'd count 14 (in my head of course lol)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    A large banana is actually two servings of fruit because of the sugar content. If you have to have the taste, try splitting one, or cutting it up into pieces and freezing it. I like them frozen after being dipped in chocolate (yeah, doesn't help the sugar aspect. Having natural sugars like fructose from the banana or lactose in the milk won't hurt you too badly if you don't have sugar concerns - IR or diabetes. But they say that reducing your sugar to those limits will allow your belly to go flat.

At the end of the day it's your choice. A lot of people on here don't track sugars because fruit and dairy are so high but are recommended - you will still lose weight. You can choose to split or not eat them every day. It's all about substitution, not elimination.
  • docbku
    docbku Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a 15g sugar allowance per day. Keep the fruit to a smaller portion, but think about replacing the milk. I've switched to unsweetened almond milk--40 calories and 0 g of sugar. Refrigerate it and use it as you would milk. Works great with cereal, fruits, and most dishes.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    skim milk. while i get that you're probably used to the taste of 2% milk which means that skim will taste like water, eventually if you switch to skim milk you wont be able to drink anything with a higher fat content in it because it will taste like grease to you (this is from personal experience. when i used to drink milk (i've developed lactose intolerance, since) i used to drink 2% FOREVER. but then my whole family decided we wanted to cut down on fat so we started buying skim. at first we all thought it was gross and tasted watery, but we stuck to it because its healthier. and now we all think anything with a higher fat content just tastes and feels too greasy. ick.)

and here's the thing about the sugars in fruit. there are many diets that will tell you to ignore the sugars in fruits because, yes, they are a good kind of sugar. and in once sense this advise is correct, if the vast majority of your sugar thats putting you over is coming from a banana or other fruits i wouldnt worry too much, generally fructose is good for you and if you dont have a sugar issue like diabetes then its not really a huge issue. now if the majority of the sugar putting you over is refined sugar i suggest cutting back on those, which would mean you can keep your bananas and not go over :) good luck

(i almost always go over my sugar, but its usually from fruit sugars mostly, so i dont worry much.)
  • kaffro
    kaffro Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I second the unsweetened almond milk suggestion. I use it in cereal and scrambled eggs. It's really good!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a 15g sugar allowance per day. Keep the fruit to a smaller portion, but think about replacing the milk. I've switched to unsweetened almond milk--40 calories and 0 g of sugar. Refrigerate it and use it as you would milk. Works great with cereal, fruits, and most dishes.

Docbku, Why 15? I'm doing 15 allowance too!! I actually use original almond milk by silk. I haven't found a unsweetened milk that I like. 60 calories/7 sugars per cup. I usually use just a 1/2 cup each day.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Banana's are killing my total sugar count each day...I LOVE them though!

If I can only have something like 27g of sugar and the banana (large by size according to the website) is 17g and the 2% milk I use is 12 g. I am just about spent.

I have extra calories to eat today (before I exercise) but am over my sugar allowance.

ANY suggestions??

I stopped tracking sugar for that reason.

Fruit is so good for you and has so many vital minerals in, that it is a damn shame to not eat it just because it has a fairly high amount of natural sugar in it.

Continue eating your fruit.
  • docbku
    docbku Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why 15g of sugar? It's probably an arbitrary number. I recall reading it in a book on belly fat, and I've done well on my fitness program at that level, so why change it? I find that some fruits are better than others, and I've stripped sugar out of almost all other foods. Unsweetened almond milk is a good substitute. I've had a lot of success combining the South Beach diet with the 15g of sugar "rule."
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP