Run in the rain- what to wear- tips to get into running

Options
Hi everyone.

I have been going to the the gym since January and doing a few weekly classes ranging mostly from Zumba, aerobics and pilates. I would like to get into running but I hate the treadmill. I don't like to run in the treadmill and don't want to. Moreover, in my gym you can only use the treadmill for 20 minutes which is not enough.

The only thing that is getting in the way of me getting into running is the weather. I am like a cat really, hate rain, wind and cold. But obviously, I don't want to go running only when the weather is nice because let's face it... This is England, lol, and the weather is only nice sometimes... I would like to run regularly to get into it and become good at it :)

So which clothes do I need to make running in the bad weather more pleasant and safe and also where do I buy them? I have been to a few clothes websites but there isn't a lot of information around. Also, any tips on how to get into running and becoming a runner regardless of the weather and any other running tips are highly appreciated :)

Replies

• BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I use to jog but after buying a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) I realized that I burn quite a bit just walking. So to save my joints I switched to walking. I walk in ANY weather. Florida is highly unpredictable. Its hot & humid one day, the next its Freezing (40's) and raining, then we have summer: Hot, humid and rainy.

With that said... I wear polyester for hot/humid/rainy
    Cold weather: I wear sweats over the polyester.

The point of wearing polyester for me is that its a breathable fabric. I buy my clothes all over, walmart, ebay, lane bryant, ross.

ETA: spelling errors
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend moisture wicking under layers and a water/wind resistant outer shell with the ability to layer depending on the weather. The same goes for shorts and tights ... moisture wick in varying degrees of insulation to address all weather situations. Don't forget the socks ... seamless and again moisture wicking ( a common theme here) to deal not only with sweat but puddles and rain. If there is a water resistant shoe that meets your stride/foot shape ... that might be an option too.

There are plenty of places online to buy these clothes at a reasonable price.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I use to jog but after buying a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) I realized that I burn quite a bit just walking. So to save my joints I switched to walking. I walk in ANY weather. Florida is highly unpredictable. Its hot & humid one day, the next its Freezing (40's) and raining, then we have summer: Hot, humid and rainy.

Running
    Gross calories per mile --- .75 x your weight (in lbs.)
    Net calories per mile --.63 x your weight

Walking
    Gross calories per mile --- .53 x your weight
    Net calories per mile --- .30 x your weight
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What ever you are comfortable in.....

so it depends upon the weather... if it's cold rain then I wear more heavy weight water proof jacket - other wise a lightweight one or none at all.

If it's dark(ish) then I tend to wear a bright jacket or T-Shirt, if I'm running on the road.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So which clothes do I need to make running in the bad weather more pleasant and safe and also where do I buy them? I have been to a few clothes websites but there isn't a lot of information around. Also, any tips on how to get into running and becoming a runner regardless of the weather and any other running tips are highly appreciated :)

Not really anything to add to the advice above, but what I did when I started running a year ago was pick up some kit from Sports Direct. Very reasonably priced so that if I decided after I'd finished the Couch to 5K programme that I didn't have too much damage. I'd also suggest Decathlon, their own brand Kalenji kit is pretty reasonable.

As far as kit itself, I prefer to run in tights most of the time, with a high viz top regardless of where I'm running. To be honest rain doesn't bother me as the kit itself doesn't feel all that wet when it's raining, and it dries quickly when it's not. For reall heavy rain I do have a jacket, but generally find that I feel too warm with it anyway.

Ad you get into winter you'll want a hat and gloves as well, but you've got plenty of time for those.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Wear something that protects you from the wind, that is really the main thing. You are going to get wet, but that sucks a lot less than you think it does.

Personally my running stuff is some old stuff my mom made for me years ago, so can't help you with where you buy it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't like being in the rain. But I love running in the rain. (I am in England too.) I'd just dress in running clothes and get on with it. See how you go. It's nowhere near as bad as you think.