Training (pet) German Shepherd Endurance

Options
I have a new pet :smile: Kenna is a 4 yr old female. She is in great shape. I am a distance walker/jogger/runner. I love the 8k and the 10k. It is already getting really hot in Florida. I begin hydrating in the morning and my schedule time for running is 10am -2pm. I hide one bottle in the tree for my return trip back home. Kenna is not a big drinker until afternoon.
Anyone running with there dog mid-day? Will this be to much stress on her? She did really well today. 45min at a quick 4mph but I want her to build to 120 min at 4mph or up?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Patsy

Replies

• TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I don't have a dog, but I would be careful about running them anywhere hot. Humans sweat like crazy but dogs are very limited in their ability to sweat so they get heat stroke much easier than humans do.

Maybe bring water and take breaks along the trip?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Don't do midday running with a dog. A friend dog sat my german shepherd, and ran him at noon, not even very far. He had a major heart attack (heart issues are not uncommon in GSDs). THis was in the UK, too, so nothing like the heat you're talking about.

Keep your runs with your lovely friend for early or late in the day.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. Will take her in the evenings. We do have a pool so she can jump in. I can carry her water as well.

Patsy
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Sorry to be a downer. But imagine how awful you'd feel... :-(

I do wish you lots of happy runs. Running with a dog is fab. And GSDs are amazing animals. x
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love running with my dogs!

I also work for an emergency vet, and we see heat stroke when it's in the 80s, even when dogs were just walked and not ran. Sure, some of these dogs were not in as good of shape as yours, but I would still be very careful. If treated quickly, we see a high survival rate, but this can definitely be fatal. I don't take mine out when it's over 80.

I've never taken mine more than 4 or 5 miles, but I know some folks that have even ran ultras with their dogs. At 4 MPH, your dog won't really be "running" (for them), so you could definitely work up to 120 minutes.

It's great (and necessary) that you carry water. I would also caution you to mind their feet (if you're running on tarmac). We see some injuries to dog feet from the roughness of the road. Over time, their feet will toughen up.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There is a vest for dogs that you can get that has something in it you freeze and it keeps a dog cool. I havent used one but i know someone who got one last summer. Check petsmart or online for it. Shephards are prone to hip issues anyway and also degenerative myleopathy. Wouldnt be my best choice of a running companion. Even though she enjoys it, i would have concerns ,dogs want to please their owners so theyres really no way of knowing if somethings wrong till its too late sadly.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Shepherds should be fine running - but probably not long distances. As Tappae says 4-5 miles, and not in heat.

I guess it's worth finding out if your dog has been hip scored - it will give you a reasonable idea of what you're dealing with.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have a St Bernarnd/Rottweiler cross I often take running with me - he also often comes to work with me (me cycling, him running beside).

He does get hot generally - on a hot day he can be panting just sitting down in the shade at points, so I definitely won't take him out in such situations. So evenings as it starts to cool down (not really a morning person, me.)

A while ago, before I was doing so much running (haven't done so much in the last month too, as it goes), I had him out a day that started to turn hot and he noticably slowed down. I was running by a river, so sent him in for a dip, which got him perky again.

When I did a trail ultramarathon a month and a half ago (the longest we have both done by a good chunk):
    running.jpg
    (Only a bout 8 miles in, maybe, so we were both fairly fresh.)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh he is utterly gorgeous!
    I
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    I have a St Bernarnd/Rottweiler cross I often take running with me - he also often comes to work with me (me cycling, him running beside).

He does get hot generally - on a hot day he can be panting just sitting down in the shade at points, so I definitely won't take him out in such situations. So evenings as it starts to cool down (not really a morning person, me.)

A while ago, before I was doing so much running (haven't done so much in the last month too, as it goes), I had him out a day that started to turn hot and he noticably slowed down. I was running by a river, so sent him in for a dip, which got him perky again.

When I did a trail ultramarathon a month and a half ago (the longest we have both done by a good chunk):
    running.jpg
    (Only a bout 8 miles in, maybe, so we were both fairly fresh.)

You both look very fit. Thank you.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    I love running with my dogs!

I also work for an emergency vet, and we see heat stroke when it's in the 80s, even when dogs were just walked and not ran. Sure, some of these dogs were not in as good of shape as yours, but I would still be very careful. If treated quickly, we see a high survival rate, but this can definitely be fatal. I don't take mine out when it's over 80.

I've never taken mine more than 4 or 5 miles, but I know some folks that have even ran ultras with their dogs. At 4 MPH, your dog won't really be "running" (for them), so you could definitely work up to 120 minutes.

It's great (and necessary) that you carry water. I would also caution you to mind their feet (if you're running on tarmac). We see some injuries to dog feet from the roughness of the road. Over time, their feet will toughen up.

I agree 4mph is not running for Kenna. Haaha but I am a comfortable 10 min miler on my good days. Not in my 20's anymore. But I still love to run/jog/walk. I think she will easily do 120min with me but it may need to be late evening I am not an early bird.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Shepherds should be fine running - but probably not long distances. As Tappae says 4-5 miles, and not in heat.

I guess it's worth finding out if your dog has been hip scored - it will give you a reasonable idea of what you're dealing with.

I agree will be having a vet home visit soon. Thanks so much for you help.
    Patsy