MFP Diary

Options
Why do some peeps keep their diary closed?.. interested to know the reasons. I kept mine private at first because I didn't realise it was private until another forum member told me so.. after I was posting questions in here..

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Mines private because it is a tool for my own use, and I have more than enough trolls in my life already.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't and never have...

I don't care who looks at my diary...comment away. I am confident in what I am doing and I am comfortable with it...

For those who don't...I suppose it's a number of reason's mostly personal...

best case scenario it's for their own use and don't feel the need to share...

Worst case scenario they are ashamed of it...
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    For me it makes getting help from members on here easier if my diary is public.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I'm only accountable to myself. I think if everybody could see it, I might not have just logged that whole snak pak of oreo minis I just ate. :noway: Damn you Nabisco. You got me again!
  • looklucklove
    looklucklove Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I'm only accountable to myself.

I agree that you only have to be accountable to yourself, but you could also been seen as an inspiration to others. I mean, you've lost 67 pounds! That's awesome! I'd love to be able to look at your diary (and others) so I can see what's working for you and maybe alter my diet appropriately if I like what I see!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I'm only accountable to myself.

I agree that you only have to be accountable to yourself, but you could also been seen as an inspiration to others. I mean, you've lost 67 pounds! That's awesome! I'd love to be able to look at your diary (and others) so I can see what's working for you and maybe alter my diet appropriately if I like what I see!

Awwww. . . .thanks:embarassed: But there's really nothing special about my diary. I eat pretty much what I used to eat, just less of it. Well, except for oreos, lol
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense to me - an open diary shows support :)
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mine is locked because at a critical time in my weight loss far too many people were being judgemental about my entries so I just closed it and gave the code to a select few.
  • PTDawnReema
    PTDawnReema Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies I get why some close their diary, and it is a shame some would be critical rather than supportive. For myself I don't mind but everyone to their own.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Some people may not want people to see their diaries due to a multitude of reasons like secret binge eating, eating disorders such as anorexia, having people make unwanted criticisms about their food choices, etc.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I'm a human and I eat food, and I'm not ashamed of it.

I'd imagine for some people, maybe people with nosy family members or a part history of ED, it may be keeping them from triggering an ED behavioural replase due to conflicting feelings of guilt and association of morality with food.

It's a personal choice. I always feel like I'm interested in what other people are eating, peek at open diaries, then remember I don't care if it ain't going in my belly.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I'm only accountable to myself. I think if everybody could see it, I might not have just logged that whole snak pak of oreo minis I just ate. :noway: Damn you Nabisco. You got me again!

I agree with you.... and I have to chuckle - the 3rd anniversary of my Dad's passing was 2 days ago and he used to work for Nabisco..... Let me just say - I don't blame him for my weight issues over the years but he was a man who loved to eat and, dang, those "test" batches of cookies and crackers he would bring home were tasty!!! :bigsmile: (...and I still love Oreos!)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense to me - an open diary shows support :)

Agree, that is why my diary is open to my MFP friends ONLY!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Mine is private because I'm not comfortable with the cyborg mentality of the online community here. I am not "eight of thirty" of anything and I do not live my life on FB or Twitter (yes, I do make the occasional post here but that's a little different. As another poster pointed out, I, too, have enough trolls in my life, I don't need more. If I thought anyone was looking at my food diary, I would start lying all over the place, especially if I go over my calorie limit. I don't even close out my food diary unless I'm under calories because I'm not comfortable having it announced to my friends (most are friends in RL, not just cyber friends) that I've gone over my calorie limit. I do realize I am the center of my own universe and no one else's, so I am constantly confused as to why this is so important to those questioning my right to privacy.

BTW, I've used two other websites to count calories, this is the only one that even ALLOWS this question. The others simply recognize that we have a right to whatever level of privacy we want - problem solved.

P5v7wHp.jpg
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed for a multitude of reasons but mainly because it is no one's business what I eat. I would not be asking for help with my food choices and my diary would be of no help to others anyway.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Mine is private because I'm not comfortable with the cyborg mentality of the online community here. I am not "eight of thirty" of anything and I do not live my life on FB or Twitter (yes, I do make the occasional post here but that's a little different. As another poster pointed out, I, too, have enough trolls in my life, I don't need more. If I thought anyone was looking at my food diary, I would start lying all over the place, especially if I go over my calorie limit. I don't even close out my food diary unless I'm under calories because I'm not comfortable having it announced to my friends (most are friends in RL, not just cyber friends) that I've gone over my calorie limit. I do realize I am the center of my own universe and no one else's, so I am constantly confused as to why this is so important to those questioning my right to privacy.

BTW, I've used two other websites to count calories, this is the only one that even ALLOWS this question. The others simply recognize that we have a right to whatever level of privacy we want - problem solved.

P5v7wHp.jpg

I too wonder about those questioning the issue of closed diaries. As you said, it is a privacy issue. I've seriously considered using stand alone calorie tracking software where I know there isn't a threat to privacy. Another benefit would be control over the food database so you don't have to worry about wrong entries. I went with stand alone software for recipes because I don't like the new recipe entry system. At any rate, diaries should be viewed as a tool for your own use.