People are cruel - your story?

Options
Here is mine (and this was about 10 years ago): We had new neighbors and they hated my teenagers. I'm not sure why; they are good kids and never bother anyone. Anyhow, they hated them so much that they put an 8 foot privacy fence around their backyard. That was ok too; at least she wasn't yelling obscenities at my children anymore. So one day I am raking the yard and bending over to pick up leaves and my rake was leaning against this fence. A car went up the street and backed the entire block down the street to the end of my driveway. WIth no contacts, I could not make out who had rolled the window down and was yelling at me. When I got close enough to see it was her, she yelled, "hey fat *kitten*, you wanna get that rake off my fence" Well I yelled something back about where i could put the rake and she drove off.
There is poetic justice in the fact that she has gained a LOT of weight since. A LOT! And with MFP I hope to take off a LOT of weight. But I still remember this situation and how cruel she is.

Anyone else have a story that has stuck with you?

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Too many to count. People will forgive all sorts of things in society these days. But apparently being fat is still a cardinal sin to most. Honestly I know it sounds childish but one oft he reasons I never lost weight before now is because it felt like I was kowtowing to that crowd. Like I was validating their spite. I hate absolutely anyone who ever mocks fat people just because they are fat. It's low It's stupid and it's indicative of a foul and insignificant soul.

My latest episode. Bunch of recent post puberty *kitten* actually stopping in the park to say. Wanna buy a bag of *kitten* fat? You look hungry and seem to be made of *kitten*. Needless to say I ignored them but It put a real damper on my day. Especially since I was on my way to the damn gym. The whole time I was at the workout I felt like a sell out. Funny how our brains work.

if it was legal I would castrate them with a wine bottle opener.
  • westiemom7707
    westiemom7707 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Idiots. I think people like that have no decent upbringing.
    You keep at it. You are not "selling out".... you are getting healthy.

But be careful with that wine bottle opener! :)
  • RHachicho
    Options
    I know that in my mind but you know what I mean when your actually trying to lose weight and people are still ripping on you for being fat. You think eff that *kitten* I'll just eat my food and give em the middle finger. I am quite well aware that I need to lose weight. See my ticker lol. I was 338lb's. And there's no way I would let some little toe rags actually dissuade me. Worst they can do is putt a damper on my gym session.

But screw em I've meen working hard. And honestly i am fitter now than I have ever been despite the fat. And I love the stares I get at the gym when people see a 280 odd pound fat man pumping out mountain climbers. My body shape has completely changed I'm not stooped over anymore and I have more energy now than I have ever had in my life. There's no way in hell I'm going back. Because I know the secret now. Just BEING fat and unhealthy is harder on you than any amount of exercise =)

so 50lb down probably another 50 - 100 to go before I'm satisfied ... TALLY HO!

Edit : And don't worry it's the wine bottle opener of justice, It only works on evil people. (In Joke)
  • buddy352
    buddy352 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. 50lbs is great!
  • KaylahDemi
    KaylahDemi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My story is that I was bullied a lot although elementary school and middle school. Starting in third grade, I was shunned and bullied by everyone in my class. I was avoided and.girls wouldn't let me touch them because they said I had "Mikaylah Germs." I was bullied for my weight, ADHD, personality, likes, dislikes, and later my glasses. I went from a bubbly social butterfly to someone who glwred when anyone wanted to talk to me... it was bad. I remember in sixth grade, I started to cut myself, and started to try to lose weight by puking up everything I ate or.starving myself. I kept this hidden from my family very well. Bouts of starving myself or puking continues until eighth grade. In eighth grade I decided "Screw this" and just decided to love myself for who I was. I stopped the unhealthy weight loss habits. A month or two ago, I decided to try to lose weight the healthy way so I decided to in MFP :)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Two of my husband's family members made fun of my weight, right in front of my little children.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm always getting joked on. My brother, who has seen my transformation and weighs over 300 lbs himself still calls me the same names that he used to call me over 100 lbs ago. Just on Easter Sunday, I had a family get together and he told my 2 year old don't to " go kick fat piggy mommy". It hurt my feelings, but I just laughed out off. And my other brother does the same thing. He calls me "lardo", fatty.. all kinds of things. They hurt my feelings, but... one cant finds a good job, and the other never found low fat food!
  • tohajiilee
    Options
    I remember in 8th grade there was a boy I liked. Somehow it got around to him and he decided to write me a letter. It looked as though it was a love letter. I was so excited to read it...

And then I read it. Nothing but fat jokes about me. He even wrote that I had "a face as ugly as a dog's *kitten*." *kitten*. I totally get the "selling out" mentality. Thinking about this just makes me not want to care and stuff my face. But, no. I want to be a woman that my eighth grade self would be proud of growing into and not someone that she is ashamed of. She had to go through that her whole life it seems.

On another note, and I am sure some ladies could relate, I would get teased a lot by other girls because I had hit puberty early. I was in a bra by the time I was in 3rd grade. Girls in my class would run up to me and pull my bra so that it would snap against my back.

If my kids ever pull any of that, I am throwing them in a time machine and sending them to one of those1960's Catholic schools run by merciless nuns.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the sell-out mentality also! It's actually really comforting to hear that come from other people, because I always thought I was a little crazy.

I honestly don't have much of a story. Even though I've been overweight pretty much my entire life, I somehow managed to avoid the teasing in school. The only person who has ever really mentioned my weight has been my mom, and it's never been in a cruel way, more in a soft, 'I-care-about-you' way. I feel like I experienced a lot of second-hand shame from bullying that's always had me in fear though, and often at family gatherings. I remember going to graduation party for a couple cousins a few years ago, and one of the cousins grandmother' said something about some other distant relative's [who had just had a baby] weight. The woman who said this has always been a piece of work though, one of those AWFUL mother-in-law types you see in the movies. And, ironically, VERY overweight herself.

I have another cousin who is extremely overweight, and at my graduation party last summer, my favorite uncle made a disgusted face at her plate piled high with food & made some off-hand remark to us like "I thought she was trying to lose weight..." It made me so self-conscious, as I sat there eating the same food, in my plus-size shorts & tank top. That comment from him is burned into my brain & will make me forever hyper-aware of myself and my weight when I'm around him. It's so stupid.

People suck. Don't let them get you down.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My story? I've had people make fun of me for being hearing impaired, I was teased in school quite a bit for this reason, and I've had remarks from my hubby's stepmother that it was a shame about the hearing, too bad I was defective as I was otherwise pretty. NEVER have I had a rude comment about my weight or my body.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Spent my entire adolescence and early adulthood being bullied, ostracised and constantly abused for having acne. These years formed who I think I am today. I didn't go anywhere near a woman until I was 24.

Now, after my fiancée left me for a 27 year-old Porsche driver, I was bullied off POF for being 5ft 8, and for being ugly and 'grossssss' - oh and a woman I fell in love with last summer was so disgusted by the thought of somebody who looks like me being attracted to them that seven months later they still refuse to work with me and it's been spread that I'm a creeper so I'm now looking for work elsewhere.

I avoid people. My mission? To troll the f*** out of them by getting in shape. I'm not gonna lie, the perception of me as an ugly, beta sap is what drives me.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was doing a video broadcast, and these 2 guys in my broadcast chatbox started saying "Omg you're the biggest guy I've ever seen you must be 300lbs" I laughed, and said "bull**** I'm only 275lbs..." Then the realization sank in that they weren't far off lol. Well 10lbs down now atleast lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Holy douchetards, Batman!

I've had plenty of mean things said abut me, but ironically, not that many about my weight...at least that I remember.

Oh...and you kids are super inspiring for overcoming this nonsense!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a few, but one. This guy I really really liked, he told me I had no chance, he said I had a beautiful face but he don't date fat chic's. His wife now, is bigger then I am.

Growing up I was the bigger of my 2 brothers, I was about 10 and was a big girl. I went to sit at the dinner table and my brother's made the table shake and said "EARTH QUAKE" made me not wanna eat, I lost my appetite. But now they're both over weight.

When I started losing weight, my uncle said on FB that I was photoshopping my photo's and it wasn't really me.

My mother in law told me I was too pretty to be so fat. She's now over weight and bigger then me.

But now, my grandmother say's that I spend too much time working out and working my job that I neglect my kids, especially my daughter who is home all day with me, she can't see how I do it all and still could manager my daughter.

if52rs.jpg

I use her most the time as my weights.
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Wow and I thought I had it rough with my childhood friends and complete strangers ripping on me all the time. I can't imagine what it would be like to have that kind of spite come from your own family. Mine has always been accepting and supportive. Probably one of the only reasons i stayed "relativeley" sane tbh. With me it wasn't just my weight it was my race too. I lived in Kuwait and came to the UK to live with my mothers side of the family after the gulf war started. The funny thing is people knew I was foreign but nobody could actually figure out which foreign I was. So they just called me every racial slur under the sun. N word included lol. Now that I think about it that was the point in my life where i started to comfort eat and got fat. *kitten*, But still it's funny to think about it now. People really have gotten a lot better at least on the racism front in this country. With any luck soon they will learn that fat people are human too.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some people feel the need to project their own insecurities.
  • mewickla
    mewickla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One time my dad and I were meeting up with a friend of his in another state. We had picked up some snackage at a gas station because it was an awkward time and weren't sure if we were going to be eating with him or not. Anyways, turns out that we were gonna go out to eat (B Dubs) and when we go there, my dad's friend made some comment about how we had already eaten but his blood sugar was low. Then my dad went, "Look at her, of course she can eat more."

Yup, that one has definitely stuck with me.
    Although I honestly don't think he'd realized what he had said until he'd already puked up the words.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My mother and oldest brother are devastatingly cruel without even realizing it. I'm fat, I get it. Don't need reminders, especially sneaky ones. If I come for a visit I don't want to feel like my weight and eating habits are being assessed the entire time. Mom used to slip diet books in my suitcase whenever I'd visit them, so I'd get home and unpack and find some Dr. Phil book on losing weight. The entire visit she'd be telling me about healthy foods and the evils of junk food and sweets, which I never did eat and still don't today. My oldest brother is always doing some MLM scam and a lot of times they're diet related. One was called slim stix or skinny stix or something, years ago, that was like pixie stix and you could have four or five of them for your entire day's eating. Because yeah, that's healthy. I already avoid my family like the plague, for more reasons than the size of my hips, so you'd think they'd get the hint.

This Christmas mom asked if I wanted a treadmill. I guess she thought mine was lonely. But the kicker was when my oldest brother sent me an Xmas card, with a business card inside promoting his latest weight loss pill. Merry effing Christmas to me. He never calls, he never visits, but he CAN be bothered to try to sell me diet pills. I guess he was afraid I'd gorge myself on pumpkin pie all through the holidays. (the last time I spent one with them, his wife wouldn't serve me any because according to her I didn't need it) Anyway it hit me so damn hard that I just started crying on the couch. And then I tossed his Xmas card and business card on the grill and lit them both on fire.

The crap strangers do or say doesn't bother me, but knowing that my family thinks I'm some tragic pig who sits around and stuffs herself full of candy and cake and ice cream all day just hits me where it hurts. Fortunately I don't like them enough to be sad about not visiting.