Supplements?

Options
So I went into GNC to grab some protein powder and the employee got into a whole thing with me about how I should use pre-workout supplements (was a powder) and during workout supplements (again a powder). This was after I told him I crossfit and usually just drink a coffee before workouts to energize (because it's after work and I'm usually a bit drained by then).
I didn't purchase anything but it got me wondering if it would help or is it just throwing more stuff in my system.

I usually only worry about getting enough protein throughout the day so I'm wondering if anybody does use supplements during or before workouts. Do you see a difference? What do you use and is it worth it?

Replies

• jameselam12
    Options
    Honestly, I do the same as you. Caffeine pre-workout, or the occasional dose of no-xplode since I do olympic style weight lifting and it seems to keep my pumps going logner. After workout is whey + creatine. 90% of supplements on the market are a waste.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Your head is on straight. You can safely ignore the guy at GNC. LOL

Coffee is just fine as a pre-workout. If you need more than that, you should probably look at other factors in your life that create that condition first.

Assuring you hit a reasonable daily protein target is just fine. Spend more energy concentrating on your training than minor factors like nutrient timing. That will get you superior results over time.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I feel ok now with workouts and protein consumption. I listen to my body and take rest days as needed. I was just curious if there was any credibility in all of these supplements they were pushing. There was a lot of talk about energizing before and boosting endurance during.

So far, a small coffee when needed prior to a workout has been enough to energize me quickly for the workout. I'd rather not spend the $80 for something a cup of coffee could do.

Thanks again!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee or an energy drink before a workout as well as a protein shake with creatine mixed in. I supplement with protein powder to meet my protein needs. you don't need all that other pre-mix crud. if you have specific supplements you want, buy them and use them individually and don't fall for the "it's cheaper" business. i also like fish oil and hyaluronic acid.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout is just a load of caffeine and random fillers. There is no need for that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    90% of most supplements being sold at GNC or offered by PT's (like at 24 hour Fitness) aren't needed and have little effect. Stick to the basics.......Protein, multivitamin, and fish oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    90% of most supplements being sold at GNC or offered by PT's (like at 24 hour Fitness) aren't needed and have little effect. Stick to the basics.......Protein, multivitamin, and fish oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    ^^ This ^^
    At the gym I go to, there are rows and rows of supplements on sale that claim to do various things, perhaps if used in the correct ways they will actually help towards a goal. No more however than using common sense, if caffeine pre-workout gets you through then it is more than enough!
    The main thing for me is post-workout, I always try to get around 30-40g of slow release protein after my workout, for that some of the products are helpful (although, I have my own selection at home for when I'm not being lazy).

All the best for you!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My son's really into that stuff and spends a small fortune getting it mail order online. I think it's disgusting myself. If I work out in the morning, I just have a light breakfast (yogurt and fruit or and English muffing with pb) and coffee. If I workout after work, I usually have a snack in my bag, either a protein bar or a couple mozzarella sticks and an apple.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Protein/fish oil/creatine are the only supplements I buy. Fish oil and creatine are the only ones I take regularly. I only take whey protein if I didn't hit my protein for the day through food.

Prework out is 1 hardboiled egg 1 piece of toast and some angry hostile music while driving to the gym.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If your workout is cardio driven then you're better off with the coffee than something like C4, but honestly when I lift C4 really does give me a great boost, but god running sucks with it.
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Protein, multi, fish oil, perhaps, raw guarana (not V-drinks!), slow-release - it lifts your energy level up, and keeps it up as opposed to the spikes, is all you need for an efficient work out