Sugar!!

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to detox from white sugar? I'm seriously 100% addicted. It's super hard because I manage an iced cream store and also have a boyfriend who eats like crap and constantly tells me I'm skinny enough and I should just eat it! Frustrating!

Anyway, tips would be helpful.

And anyone want to be buddies and try to detox off of it together?!

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Fruit. In the beginning every time I craved sugar, refined sugar, I would eat an apple.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on how to detox from white sugar? I'm seriously 100% addicted. It's super hard because I manage an iced cream store and also have a boyfriend who eats like crap and constantly tells me I'm skinny enough and I should just eat it! Frustrating!

Anyway, tips would be helpful.

And anyone want to be buddies and try to detox off of it together?!

Why are you trying to give up all sugar? Also, you can't "detox" from it, you just stop eating it.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Chromium and green coffee bean help with sugar cravings. Green coffee bean secretes leptins (apparently Dr. Oz likes to push this lol not that that means anything....hate dr oz)

ETA that these probably don't have strong science behind them, please do your own research. They are the newest fad things everyone is asking for. Some people swear by them, others don't notice anything.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fruit and dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa for health benefits)
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same exact way! I love sugar, although it always makes me feel like crap the next day or even the next hour. It also leaves me with guilt. Too much guilt.... xD but definitely fruit helps. I would just suggest (and this may be criticized) but I would personally just go cold turkey from it. Thats what I'm currently doing. Because when your body even gets a taste of sugar, the more it will crave it. However, the longer you go without eating sugar, the less your body will crave it and eventually you wont want it at all! My boyfriend does the exact same thing though! Ill friend you, so we can detox from this together!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, therefore you can't detox from it. Just like you can't detox from oxygen.

Eat enough protein, eat enough fat, monitor your calories, and sugar becomes completely irrelevant.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, therefore you can't detox from it. Just like you can't detox from oxygen.

Eat enough protein, eat enough fat, monitor your calories, and sugar becomes completely irrelevant.

^this
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Why are you trying to give up all sugar? Also, you can't "detox" from it, you just stop eating it.

Not trying to give up all sugar! I'm totally open to this whole fruit idea. I just hate feeling like crap after eating ice cream and sweets. I know it's my fault I eat it but like I said its an addiction and my lifestyle makes it hard!
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

Sugar actually triggers the same pleasure receptors in the brain as drugs and alcohol, And also releases a dopamine response. So yes, sugar can create an addiction and need to "detox". It's also been shown to build tolerance so you need to have more, and more sugar to receive that same response (which is what leads to over eating)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sugar in moderation is not unhealthy.

That being said sugar in moderation isn't particular healthy either.

Sugar costs calories and apart from being a quick source of fuel for the body (which you can get from other sources) gives nothing much back nutritionally.

So whilst you can include it in larger quantities into your diet if you are eating in a deficit - the question is 'do you want to'?

Your diet - your choice!
  • tigersword
    Options

Sugar actually triggers the same pleasure receptors in the brain as drugs and alcohol, And also releases a dopamine response. So yes, sugar can create an addiction and need to "detox". It's also been shown to build tolerance so you need to have more, and more sugar to receive that same response (which is what leads to over eating)

No, no, no.

Drugs and alcohol cause the same responses in the brain as sugar, not the other way around. Those brain responses are perfectly normal, expected, and actually necessary for life. That's why drugs are dangerous, they co-opt the body's normal reward system.

Eating any food causes that same dopamine response. So does exercising, sleeping, and sex. It's how the brain communicates with the body, and how it keeps you doing things that keep you alive.

This is what happens when "journalists" sensationalize science that they don't understand.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Sugar in moderation is not unhealthy.

That being said sugar in moderation isn't particular healthy either.

Sugar costs calories and apart from being a quick source of fuel for the body (which you can get from other sources) gives nothing much back nutritionally.

So whilst you can include it in larger quantities into your diet if you are eating in a deficit - the question is 'do you want to'?

Your diet - your choice!

What other source can you get it from? Let me guess, fat? No, fat is actually a very slow source of energy compared to sugar. Sugar is actually the only source of quick energy your body has, which is why we've evolved taste receptors that specifically seek out the flavor of sugar.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

The same pleasure responses are stimulated during exercise, as well as dopamine release. Are you now saying that exercise is unealthy and you should detox from it?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Lots of things release dopamine. What you need to exercise is will power.

OP, if you find your willpower to be low when it comes to certain foods, stop eating them for a while and slowly reintroduce them into your regimen. If moderation cannot be achieved, repeat the elimination period for a little while longer. I find that this worked well between my cravings for bread. Good luck! :drinker:
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

No, no, no.

Drugs and alcohol cause the same responses in the brain as sugar, not the other way around. Those brain responses are perfectly normal, expected, and actually necessary for life. That's why drugs are dangerous, they co-opt the body's normal reward system.

Eating any food causes that same dopamine response. So does exercising, sleeping, and sex. It's how the brain communicates with the body, and how it keeps you doing things that keep you alive.

This is what happens when "journalists" sensationalize science that they don't understand.

No, not any food. Rich/fatty/sugary foods aka foods with a high concentration energy. Eating a piece of broccoli does not trigger the same dopamine response as eating a piece of cake.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

The same pleasure responses are stimulated during exercise, as well as dopamine release. Are you now saying that exercise is unealthy and you should detox from it?

You're honestly comparing wanting to exercise everyday with wanting to over eat sugar?? Are you kidding?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Simple Sugar in moderation is not unhealthy.

That being said simple sugar in moderation isn't particular healthy either.

Simple Sugar costs calories and apart from being a quick source of fuel for the body (which you can get from other sources) gives nothing much back nutritionally.

Your diet - your choice!

What other source can you get it from? Let me guess, fat? No, fat is actually a very slow source of energy compared to sugar. Sugar is actually the only source of quick energy your body has, which is why we've evolved taste receptors that specifically seek out the flavor of sugar.

You are correct - I have amended my post above for accuracy.
  • chicagonick93
    Options
    So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream is amazing
    I find that it tastes just like Ice Cream
    The sugar is all natural
  • tigersword
    Options

No, no, no.

No, not any food. Rich/fatty/sugary foods aka foods with a high concentration energy. Eating a piece of broccoli does not trigger the same dopamine response as eating a piece of cake.
    Actually, yes it does. Eating food triggers a dopamine response. Anything you do that helps your continued survival triggers a dopamine response. That's how your brain conditions your self preservation response. Any positive action that prolongs your life triggers the release of dopamine and endorphins.

Like I said, this is what happens when people report on things they don't understand.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

You're honestly comparing wanting to exercise everyday with wanting to over eat sugar?? Are you kidding?
    Based on the pleasure centers of the brain which are stimulated by. . . wait for it. . . both activities. If the argument is "sugar triggers identical receptors in the brain as drugs and alcohol, ZOMG! Bad!" then "those same receptors are triggered by exercise" is a perfectly reasonable counterpoint.