Is too much protein a thing?

And how healthy is my diet, really?

I'm trying to just start a new lifestyle in terms of eating and working out, but it's hard because I feel like I just don't know everything I need to know.

In the morning I have a fruit smoothie with spinach and almond milk and some flax seeds and then for dinner I usually have about 150 grams of chicken breast, and for dinner I have another 150 grams of chicken or fish. I have both lunch and dinner with lots of mixed vegetables or greens. I just feel like it's so much protein, especially since I'm trying to lose weight and I'm running and doing cardio training instead of doing weight training at the moment. I've never had any issues with my iron levels, like lots of young women do, but in the summers I tend to go kind of vegetarian naturally, but I eat a TON of bread and sugary products as kind of a replacement for meat. I'm trying to cut out most refined sugars and bread (although I have a loaf of homemade whole grain bread that I have a slice from each day to remind myself that I can have everything in moderation) so I find I'm eating way more protein than I normally do.

Is this too much protein for losing weight and running? Can I make my diet healthier in any other ways? Thanks!

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Yep what he said.

Excess protein will be covered to glucose to be either used as fuel, stored in the muscles or liver or finally converted from glucose to body fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    If it keeps you from meeting your fat minimums and getting enough carbs to feel fine energy wise or if you have kidney issues or are predisposed to kidney issues then yes. To much protein can be bad. If none of those factors are involved then no.
    This.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Ditto
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    It would be much easier to give you constructive advise, if your food log were open.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    The only way to know is when you get your blood tested if your BUN is way to high.
  • shannabanana11
    shannabanana11 Posts: 10 Member
    I don't have any kidney issues, and I drink plenty of water. I also had a blood test recently for other issues and everything came back normal (besides a positive ANA marker, but that's the other issue I mentioned).

I've opened up my journal so others can see- I didn't realize I had it set to private.

and so far my energy levels are good, but it's only been a few days.