MFP and Fitbit Flex and using TDEE

Options
can I still on MFP use TDEE - 20% or 15% . Let say I have my TDEE numbers and I enter that in MFP. If I use my Fitbit flex and its syncronized with MFP ...can I still get an accurate reading of everything...............and yes I know there is a group for Fitbit but no one goes there anymore and I can't get answers

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    People still use the fitbit group... it might take some time for an answer because either they don't know the answer, or no one in the group is at their computer... or, you didn't even try to post in the group... but to answer your question. Yes you will still get an accurate reading, but if you have a lazy day fitbit will take away calories for you to consume.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbit set up for -750. My MFP is set to active no exercise 1.5 loss. MFP starts me at 1200 calories per day but as the day goes on my fibit adds in "exercise". By the end of the day the numbers are close to even.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE -20% and have fitbit. Set a custom goal for your TDEE calories and just eat to that number every day. Since your TDEE should already include weekly exercise unsync fitbit from MFP. Log food on MFP and any non-step based exercise on Fitbit. If you do an extra workout one day, eat an extra 100 calories that day, if you miss a planned workout, eat 100 calories less that day.

Recalculate your TDEE with every 5 or 10lbs lost, taking at least the last 4 weeks TDEE average from fitbit.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    People still use the fitbit group... it might take some time for an answer because either they don't know the answer, or no one in the group is at their computer... or, you didn't even try to post in the group... but to answer your question. Yes you will still get an accurate reading, but if you have a lazy day fitbit will take away calories for you to consume.

Numbers will not be accurate with syncing. Your lazy days are already included in TDEE, as is your activity level, exercise hours. Averaging TDEE over 4 weeks will account for a few lazy days anyway. If you don't eat those calories that are "taken away" you will be creating a bigger deficit than you planned for.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE and my FitBit too. I have manually configured MFP so that my calorie goal is the number calculated from my TDEE - deficit. I eat that every day no matter what my exercise level is. I have my FitBit syncing with MFP and only have positive adjustments enabled. Because I am following my TDEE, I never eat any exercise calories whether they were logged in via MFP or come from the FitBit sync.

What I like is that if you click on the 'FitBit Calorie Adjustment' entry in your exercise diary you can see the TDEE that FitBit estimates for you for the day, and you can also see the TDEE that MFP estimates for that day.

For example. From the Mifflin-St Jeor for women formula, my TDEE comes out to 2718. Friday the 25th, FitBit estimated I burned 2707, MFP estimated I burned 2648, so I had a 59 calorie FitBit adjustment. I also calculate my TDEE from actual weight loss, and it also comes out right in the 2700 range. By looking at the FitBit and MFP estimated TDEE numbers I can keep an eye on my TDEE to make sure that my deficit is still appropriate.