Just joined Planet Fitness.......Routines/advice??

Options
Ther really isn't a free weights section in this location. Mostly the weight machines, cardio machines and two areas - 12 minutes abs - and 30 minute work out. The ab and work out are a circuit type work out. Obviously I have to get my feel for the place and what I like, but any recommendations would be great. I have about 45 minutes to work while I am there.

Does anyone do the '30 min. workout'?? Or am I better off doing a little cardio to warm up and then hit the weight machines???? Also any advice on a simple to follow beginner routine.

I plan on meeting with a trainer there in a couple weeks (they do provide free session, but it'll be about 2-3 weeks before he has an opening that works in my schedule) -

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Anything?
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    congrats on joining the gym.

not being a woman, i have never read it, but a lot of people suggest New Rules For Lifting for Women, or something like that.

i am a big fan of bodybuilding.com. they have great, quick, easy to follow videos on how to do certain exercises and offer a bunch of routines for a variety of different levels. i have followed jim stoppani's routines. there is a beginner one that i did. some are more geared towards free weights, but just find the weight machine equivalent of that and use that. but those routines will help you focus on particular muscles and areas on certain days. based on my experience, the routines take about 45-50 minutes to complete.

good luck.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I wasn't sure if the NRLFW would also work on the 'machines' vs. free weights, because everyone talks about the free weights. I did do the 30 min express workout and felt pretty good about it. I think I could do heavier and less reps on some of the machines, but for the first time out....not bad. Kept it light, but noticeable as I was learning to work the machines in that area.

Yesterday I did the 12 min ab circuit and I think I found some muscles that I forgot I had!

I love the fact that I can use an elliptical again - that is my favorite for cardio - but I am slowly working myself into a routine. I guess for a while, it'll be try it and see if we like it - otherwise, change it up.

Hopefully I can get in with the trainer in a couple weeks and get some pointers too.