20lb to gain in 2 months? Advice Needed Please.

Options
Hi, I am an underweight 18yr old and want to put on 20lbs. I just want pure fat, and then once I have the weight on focus on exercises and toning because I've never been able to put on weight (+ all my family are extremely slim).

I only have around 2 months to gain this weight, is 20lb too much in such a short period of time?

Also, any tips? or meals? or particular foods like can speed up my weight gain but healthily and sustainably because I don't want to loose the weight.

I have been eating around 2900 calories a day for the last 2 days, and I have noticed I constantly feel full, I have an increase in gas so it's making it extremely hard to keep eating so much... Any thoughts about this?

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot, but I suppose it's do-able. that's 10 pounds a month which is 2.5 pounds a week, which is about 1250 extra calories a day. If you eat calorie dense stuff that doesn't make you FEEL too full....like cook with more oils, eat some nuts and nut butter etc....it's possible
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    2 sticks of butter in a glass, glass in the microwave for 40 seconds. Drink your calories. Do this about 12 times a day and you should be good to go!
  • alicekelli
    alicekelli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    that does seem like a lot of weight to gain in 2 months... i don't know if it is recommended to do that, but i can suggest some super high calorie foods. coconut milk (canned) about 700+ calories a can. nuts (walnuts) huge calories . avocado. 260+ calories in each one. eat a night before you go to bed. shakes with protein like hemp powder or pea powder, will help you with density and are healthy. those are my suggestions. oh, and fruit juice...i believe i gained 20 lbs in the last month of my pregnancy just eating a tray of pure fuit juice ice cubes daily. i had no idea they would pack on the pounds like they did.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just so I understand. Your plan is to gain 20 lbs of fat? And then convert that fat into muscle later? Doesnt sound like a great idea, but I'd love to hear Mfp's opinion on it. Also can you tell us why you want to have an extra 20 lbs on in 2 months? Just don't hear that often, if at all. Mostly hear people trying to lose weight for a wedding or vacation, etc. I would think the barriers that prevented you from gaining muscle in the past would prevent you from converting muscle in the future, and that may be just easier to start lifting and eating a calorie surplus with a lot of proteins. Anyone else got any ideas or opinions.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Rapidly gaining weight and rapidly losing weight are extremely stressful on the heart and other organs. Why do you have a deadline? Aim for gaining 1 pound per week and just do the opposite of what you do to lose weight safely.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Just so I understand. Your plan is to gain 20 lbs of fat? And then convert that fat into muscle later? Doesnt sound like a great idea, but I'd love to hear Mfp's opinion on it. Also can you tell us why you want to have an extra 20 lbs on in 2 months? Just don't hear that often, if at all. Mostly hear people trying to lose weight for a wedding or vacation, etc. I would think the barriers that prevented you from gaining muscle in the past would prevent you from converting muscle in the future, and that may be just easier to start lifting and eating a calorie surplus with a lot of proteins. Anyone else got any ideas or opinions.

^ I agree with this.

I feel like gaining that much that fast isn't going to be done healthily... BUT for the sake of answering your question without my opinion.... calorie dense foods. I'd up your calories by about another 500 at least. Eat pastas, multiple servings of nuts, snack on chips or cookies, soda and lattes and cappuccinos. Eat sandwiches with super calorie dense bread, mayo. Make a fruit smoothie with some added nuts and both banana and avacado. Add sugar to pretty much everything.
    You'll gain the weight, but honestly you'll probably feel like crap, break out, be tired and moody... Take a daily multivitamin to help ensure you get some of the nutrition you need... but your cholesterol, BP and Health risks will probably go up.
  • imanisterling
    Options
    So judging by everyone's comments I should decrease the amount of weight I plan to gain?

The only reason there is a 2 month deadline is because I am studying abroad and I go back home in 2 months so I would ideally like to have the weight on by then, but I don't want to put my health at risk.

I would like to say...
    I have gained 1 lb a day for the last 3 days. I don't know if thats just water and it will decrease but it seems I was really under eating so now I am eating more than I guess I need, I am putting on weight fast? Should I decrease the amount Im eating? I've lowered my calories to 2,600 which is what myfitnesspal recommends.
  • imanisterling
    Options
    So judging by everyone's comments I should decrease the amount of weight I plan to gain?

The only reason there is a 2 month deadline is because I am studying abroad and I go back home in 2 months so I would ideally like to have the weight on by then, but I don't want to put my health at risk.

I would like to say...
    I have gained 1 lb a day for the last 3 days. I don't know if thats just water and it will decrease but it seems I was really under eating so now I am eating more than I guess I need, I am putting on weight fast? Should I decrease the amount Im eating? I've lowered my calories to 2,600 which is what myfitnesspal recommends.
  • GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am an underweight 18yr old and want to put on 20lbs. I just want pure fat, and then once I have the weight on focus on exercises and toning because I've never been able to put on weight (+ all my family are extremely slim).

I only have around 2 months to gain this weight, is 20lb too much in such a short period of time?

Also, any tips? or meals? or particular foods like can speed up my weight gain but healthily and sustainably because I don't want to loose the weight.

I have been eating around 2900 calories a day for the last 2 days, and I have noticed I constantly feel full, I have an increase in gas so it's making it extremely hard to keep eating so much... Any thoughts about this?

Eat at a surplus and lift heavy *kitten* weights at the gym 4+ days a week. Bulking is a slow process of gaining as much muscle with as little fat as possible. You can't "tone" fat and you can't convert fat into muscle. If your plan is to gain 20# of pure fat and then exercise it off you will be right back where you started. You are 18...you have plenty of time. Bulk for the next year at least and then begin a nice slow cut. And then, if needed, bulk again.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If you put on fat, the only way to "tone" will be to lose that fat again. You cannot convert muscle to fat, it just doesn't work that way. It would be far better to do a "dirty bulk" ... Eat 3000 calories daily, with a lot of protein (eat at least 1 g protein per pound body weight) and lift heavy weights 3 times a week. How many calories really will depend on your height and overall activity level, though, so that's just a ballpark figure.

You will still gain fat this way, but you will also gain muscle. You probably won't be able to gain 20 pounds in two months, but by gaining muscle you'll put yourself closer to your ultimate goal of toning. (Toning is a vague term, but usually implies losing fat to show the muscle underneath.) At your age, you are ideally set to gain muscle, so why not take advantage of it? You'll look and feel better with a 10 pound gain that is half muscle than a 20 pound gain that is all fat.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eat at a surplus and lift heavy *kitten* weights at the gym 4+ days a week. Bulking is a slow process of gaining as much muscle with as little fat as possible. You can't "tone" fat and you can't convert fat into muscle. If your plan is to gain 20# of pure fat and then exercise it off you will be right back where you started. You are 18...you have plenty of time. Bulk for the next year at least and then begin a nice slow cut. And then, if needed, bulk again.

^essentially this
    fat does not covert into muscle. Focus on building muscle rather than gaining fat it'll be much better for your health
  • elyanta
    elyanta Posts: 11
    Options
    More than 2 lbs gained or lost a week is not good for you. Unless you have a very low body fat% and need that much fat on your body you should aim to add fat and muscle at the same time so do little cardio and lift weights several times a week. You should increase your caloric intake by 500 kcals (a day) from your bmr (look it up you can calculate it on websites by entering your specs) increase by 1000 kcals (a day) to gain 2lbs a week but I wouldnt recommend that much weight gain a week though. Also I would caution you against eating a bunch of junk for making your goals. Eat healthy add nuts and meat and other foods with healthy fats and proteins. I am studying nutrition I would suggest you visit a doctor or dietitian to get help. If your goal is to look and feel healthier don't rush your body it isn't easy for naturally thin people to gain weight. And in general it isnt easy to gain weight in a heathly manor.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Wow. What a bad idea.

x a million ..

OP - why don't you lift heavy, eat in a surplus, and gain weight and muscle??? that is what I would do ..
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it.. you will be sorely disappointed with the results.. Like some of the other members have mentioned.. Find a lifting program that fits you and eat at a moderate surplus.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can't really convert muscle to fat after the fact, it doesn't work that way. What body builders do to bulk up is lift as heavy as they can for short reps 3-5 doing lots of compound exercises like squats, dead lifts, benches, etc. bodybuilding.com has tons of advice and routines for you to follow. Combine that with lots of protein and a large calorie surplus and you will gain both muscle and fat. After a few months you change your diet and workouts to shred the fat and leave as much of the muscle behind as possible, then repeat the cycle. That's the most efficient way to gain the most lean body mass in the shortest amount of time. Since you are so young and new to lifting if you are really dedicated and consistent you can gain 15-20 lbs your first year. After that 10-15 lbs per year is obtainable if you are dedicated and consistent. If you're having trouble eating enough calories, they make high calorie weight gainer protein shakes just for that purpose. Good luck!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Really really bad idea and bad for your health.
    You are young and have a high metabolism. The more you eat the more you burn.
    My son is the same, skinny as and 24 this year. Bought him some gym equipment for Christmas and just now starting to see a difference. He is putting on a little upper body bulk but it is all muscle not fat. No idea of his weight, he is only concerned in how he looks and how he feels, he says he feels good and he looks good. But he has a long way to go. We're talking a couple of years not months. If we could all fix our body issues in 2 months we would all be gorgeous. As it is only the hardest working most patient of us will get there.