Light salad dressing recipe?

Options
kit_liu
kit_liu Posts: 22 Member
Now its getting to the warm seasons here in the UK, it time for salads. I need recipes for light salad dressing. I know there are low cal salad dressings on the shelves ready for sale to dieters, but it would be nice to be able to make my own, knowing what goes into it.
I here all the fuss in the USA about salad spritzers and how good they are, that makes me drool as you cant get them here. So ideas as to how make those would be welcomed as well.
I'm getting tired of putting balsamic vinegar on salads and want something tasty. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Creamy Cucumber Dressing
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html
    Makes approx. 2 cups; 16 servings

Ingredients

1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup light mayonnaise
    3/4 cup light sour cream
    1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 green onion, sliced
    1/2 tsp dill, minced
    1/2 tsp garlic, minced
    Dash white pepper
    A sprinkle cayenne pepper

Directions

Place the cucumber and all other ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. You may have to push or stir ingredients once to get things started. Once blended smooth, cover and place in the refrigerator to let flavors blend. Serve as a salad dressing or dipping sauce.

Nutritional Information per serving (2 Tbsp.): Calories 25.4, Total Fat 1.8 g, Saturated Fat 0.9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g, Cholesterol 4.8 mg, Sodium 115.0 mg, Potassium 13.7 mg, Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g, Dietary Fiber 0.1 g, Sugars 0.9 g, Protein 0.8 g.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Untried: On my to do list.

Balsamic Spritzer
    Yield: 1 cup

Ingredients

6 tablespoons shallots, minced
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons sugar or 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (or Maureen's Chicken Broth with Very Low Sodium) or 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons garlic, minced
    1/2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped

Directions

Mix all ingredients in a jar and cover. Shake well.
    Leave at room temperature at least one hour, and preferably overnight. Shake occasionally during this period.
    Strain using a coffee filter in a strainer. Put the liquid in a food-quality spritzer bottle.
    Before using, each time, shake well. Then spritz on the salad greens or vegetables of your choice.

Also Untried:

How to Make a Spritzer Salad Dressing
    By eHow

Instructions

Measure 1/4 cup red wine vinegar with a pinch of salt. Pour into a spray bottle.

Place your thumb over the top of the spray bottle and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.

Add 1 1/4 cup olive oil to the vinegar mixture.

Shake again for 30 seconds as in Step 2.

Put spray nozzle back on the bottle and spritz your salad. If you wait more than a few minutes to spray your salad, give the bottle another gentle shake before you do so.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Fire Roasted Tomato Dressing
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/fire-roasted-tomato-dressing.html
    Makes 2 cups

1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. light mayonnaise

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.

Nutrition Facts: 2 Tbsp. equals 7 cal., 0.3 g fat, 0.3 chol., 91.4 mg sodium, 1.1 g carb., fiber 0.2 g, protein 0.2 g.