Something to make you think twice about eating McDonalds!

Options

Replies

• TiffanyLaPlante
    Options
    I'm not saying that this probably didn't happen, but then again, there is no recordable proof of her "experiment" and no one really knows how the food was tampered with. No one was standing over her shoulder 24/7 and it wasn't in a laboratory environment. You be the judge on what you eat and not because someone stated it's the truth. Hopefully we are all smarter than that.
  • thevetchling
    thevetchling Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find their toilets clean, but eating there? I am older than eight. It may entrap youngsters, but I'm a grown up!
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    Did you know - in the UK McDonalds get their beef from a company called 100% beef - so they can say it is 100% beef in their burgers, but it doesn't mean what you think it does!!! :wink:
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ABC News.com just posted an article I think last week (I'm at work and can't post the link) and it was explaining what goes into chicken nuggest (not just at McDs but almost all fast food aside from Hardees and Chick Fil A). It was SO GROSS!!! The main ingredient is mechanically separated chicken parts. That's right, once all the goodness is stripped, what's left goes into a high powered sive and is 'fluffed' for volume. What you get is something that kind of looks like strawberry softserve.

THEN, the mix with ammonia because it's full of bacteria. THEN they bleach it to make it the white-ish color it is. THEN they add the artificial flavors. <Shudder>

I think McDonalds had some chicken like the Select strips that weren't like this, but the original nuggets there, Wendys, Burger King and Jack in the Box all were clients to this chicken manufacturer.

To those who say 'Tread Carefully'....*kitten* that...these are FACTS that people need to be aware of.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Just sucks that she kept 'moving' the food in her pictures. People are trying to discredit her. I don't know what to believe....
  • andybaxta
    andybaxta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am an obese person who has eaten their share of McDonalds and twelve years ago I worked for them in a franchise as a Shift-Running floor manager. My experience (having worked in 10-12 different stores across the UK), was that McDonald's is one of the cleanest and safest food preperation environments I have ever encountered, their procedures and standards are second to none.

During my time I also visited both McKey foods (McDonald's owned distribution company for beef in the UK) and Golden West (Who McDonald's own and provide other food products, principally bread). The beef that at that stage went into all McDonalds beef was 100% beef, removed from the forequarter and flank of approved cattle bread in the UK and the factory was as clean as the stores, the beef arrived in large frozen squares as whole cuts that looked incredibly fresh, it was then ground into mince and pressed directly into the quarter or regular meet. Procedures in the factory were immensley good as well, they demonstrated by dropping a single iron filling onto a piece of meet and the belts that transport the meets to boxes ditched five rows in front of and five rows behind the single burger that had the iron filling on - they know their business.

Don't get me wrong, I think McDonalds is ONE of the reasons we (and especially the US) have issues with obesity, it does encourage children in and get the brand ingrained into their minds, but then parents have a choice - you should be controlling how and when your children are exposed to the food. Many of us are here, like me, because we have a lack of self control or have never been taught calorie content of foods, now we are informed consumers of McDonalds products we can make a choice of what and how often to eat there, which for me would now be a single small burger or other sandwich once every few months!

There is a lot of rubbish written about McDonalds and as somebody who worked there a long time ago, but has no official links or ties with their business, I think it is right a balanced argument is presented and not a scaremongering one based on heresay and rubbish.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    The only time in the past 5 months I've eaten at McDonalds was Sunday morning at 5am after working for 16 hours without a break and no food at all. Only place open, I drove past and grabbed a chicken sandwich and fries. Aw how bad of me... right?

Did you know Sausages are pretty much made the same way as Nuggets?
    Did you know most Nuggets are made the same way as McDonalds? Also same thing with most burgers too...
    If I'm going to eat my eyes/noses/bones/gristle then I'd rather do it in that form than the alternative.... It's a way of using the whole animal, which I actually approve of....
    And as someone else said above, a home made hamburger will decompose the same as a McDonalds hamburger.

I don't need scare stories to stay away from McDonalds, it's 'treat' or 'emergency' food not food you should be eating when trying to lose weight unless there is no other option (and even then you need to control it).

If you need an excuse not to eat there every day then you're not ready to lose weight. Sorry. That's just how I feel.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ABC News.com just posted an article I think last week (I'm at work and can't post the link) and it was explaining what goes into chicken nuggest (not just at McDs but almost all fast food aside from Hardees and Chick Fil A). It was SO GROSS!!! The main ingredient is mechanically separated chicken parts. That's right, once all the goodness is stripped, what's left goes into a high powered sive and is 'fluffed' for volume. What you get is something that kind of looks like strawberry softserve.

THEN, the mix with ammonia because it's full of bacteria. THEN they bleach it to make it the white-ish color it is. THEN they add the artificial flavors. <Shudder>

I think McDonalds had some chicken like the Select strips that weren't like this, but the original nuggets there, Wendys, Burger King and Jack in the Box all were clients to this chicken manufacturer.

To those who say 'Tread Carefully'....*kitten* that...these are FACTS that people need to be aware of.

BTW the "facts" from abcnews you refer to have been proven an internet hoax.. dont believe everything you see and read online
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    American artist Sally Davies photographed a McDonald's Happy Meal every day for about six months. Scarily, there doesn't seem to be much difference between Day 1 and Day 180. It makes you wonder just what is in it to stop it going mouldy and decomposing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallydavies/sets/72157624739645253/

Mc Donalds food is no different than the food that is sitting in the freezers at your local grocers................All the chemicals in the frozen, processed food makes it where it literally doesn't mold and such.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    American artist Sally Davies photographed a McDonald's Happy Meal every day for about six months. Scarily, there doesn't seem to be much difference between Day 1 and Day 180. It makes you wonder just what is in it to stop it going mouldy and decomposing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallydavies/sets/72157624739645253/

Mc Donalds food is no different than the food that is sitting in the freezers at your local grocers................All the chemicals in the frozen, processed food makes it where it literally doesn't mold and such.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I posted this today and got ambushed. Tread carefully.
    Sadly...very true, she did. Makes people like me not want to post to the forum. I don't so much anymore. This is supposed to be a helpful, SUPPORTIVE, and motivational place to be....I read posts or responses from a lot of people not living up to that. Disappointing.
    The same can be said for people who say they drink diet pop and you get posters that immediately say to stop because you'll die from cancer from the aspartame, or people who go to Subway which is much healthier than they use to eat and people jump on them for the sodium levels, or the "clean" eaters who jump all over the people who like to eat 90 calorie packs. It's an unfortunate direction this forum has went in that people don't respect other people's opinions.

This McDonald picture series has me seriously concerned, because the food is continually moving around on the plate the top bun changes as does the fry pattern.

For this comment, please see http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp
    McDonald's has been using all white meat in their chicken nuggets since 2003
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    double post
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Ehh...I love McDonald's, even though I only induldge once a month (or less). I'll still eat it.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I saw that.. The picture was absolutely disgusting..:sick: I have never really been fond of McD's chicken nuggets, but my daughter would get them every once in awhile.. No more chicken nuggets unless I make them...
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Well we don't eat many happy meals these days, but I am guilty of drinking a sugar-free ice-coffee 3 or 4 days a week. No idea what chemicals or preservatives might be in that, but it keeps me going around 3 o'clock when I'm ready to keel over. I let my kids eat a chocolate chip cookie, too, when they finish their homework without whining (just 'cause we're there getting mommy's ice coffee). Don't tell me what's in those. Sigh . . .

Have you seen the almond commercials where the almonds help them get over the 3 oclock hump? It really works for me, but I enjoy my coffee too!!!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Here's another one for you... the 4 year old cheeseburger...:sick:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=42969
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I had just copied this like to post on here. Too funny.
    This totally makes me sick. Yet another reason it has been years since I have eaten their food!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McDonalds since I saw the 2004 documentary Super Size me. They did the same thing with the french fries. Yuck!

When we saw SuperSize Me in the theatre, we couldn't even eat the candy and soda we had with us at the time. Lol. We VERY rarely eat McDonald's or any other junk and we regret it every time. Just goes to show that our bodies really do know what they need and want, and they speak up when we betray that.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McDonalds since I saw the 2004 documentary Super Size me. They did the same thing with the french fries. Yuck!

When we saw SuperSize Me in the theatre, we couldn't even eat the candy and soda we had with us at the time. Lol. We VERY rarely eat McDonald's or any other junk and we regret it every time. Just goes to show that our bodies really do know what they need and want, and they speak up when we betray that.

You know, after a few weeks clean from McD's, and Burger King, I found that it went right through me and made me feel sluggish and gross.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't beleive in eating Fast Food, and rarely ever do,,,serioulsy....and that was before I saw Supersize me or Food, Inc. If you haven't seen them, I encourage you to do so. Food, Inc, was on Instant Play for Netflix not to long ago...maybe Supersize Me is too?

Both just super-reinforced my feelings on processed stuff, and trying to eat more organically & locally. (Believe me, I have enough issues eating wholesome food, I don't need that crap food making matters worse)! LOL!!!! ;)