Herbal Remedies

Options
I have long suffered from back problems from an old vehicle incident. Because of this I get alot of inflammation in my neck due to DDD from untreated whiplash. I've been on muscle relaxers for a few years now and recently moved to simple over the counter meds. well, now I'm looking for something more herbal to fix my pain/inflamation issues. I'm hoping that after I loose weight and change my lifestlye I can get pregnant. My future hubby and I are wanting children but I've always said I wouldnt get pregnant at my current weight due the effects it could have on me and the baby. I'm a nurse so I know the horror it can cause. Due to this, I"m trying to go all natural in life and am having trouble. I of course, like every other redblooded human, turn to Google for anwsers and it's just too hard to tell from the million options which websites are giving good sound advice. So I turn to you, fellow MFP'ers to inquire as to whether anyone else out there is a nature nut (the term I've coined for new self) and if you may have any advice for a novice like myself. I thank you in advance.

Replies

• ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use white willow bark for the inflammation in my back. Here is a link to the University of Maryland site about it. I usually trust education sources when looking for information. I definitely avoid ones trying to sell me something :laugh:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/willow-bark-000281.htm

Hope you find something that helps you out!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    thanks!! I'll check it out!
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree... Willow Bark is good for that (i have read)... also so is Magnesium - I have used as a pain killer and it does work....

However my advice would be to go to a chemist or a health food store near you and ask if they have a resident Naturopath and pose your question to them... there are so many different things out there which could help you and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just in case you are interested, I get mine from Sunrider. They tend to be on the more expensive side, but I trust the company not to put junk in their herbs.

http://shop.sunrider.com/Shop/Product_51.asp?group_id=2&dept_id=12&pf_id=43&Return=/shop/display_dept.asp?group_id=2&dept_id=12&viewall=viewall&Cols=0
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    If you can find it, try using Yucca. The powdered stuff is worthless (it's only 3-5% saponins) but if you can find the liquid extract it's around 85%. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, natural steroidal alternative. I've used it for years for an ankle that has been broken multiple times and gets swollen when I work out.

Also a high quality glucosamie & chondroitin supplement can help lubricate your joints and build healthy cartiledge. Also helps with pain and inflammation.

Omega Fatty Acids have also been known to help with inflammation.

Hope you find something that helps!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great tips!! Thanks everyone!!!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    along with the others that have been mentioned...

sam-e