need info from former smokers please!

Options
peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
Lots of posts about smoking lately, and I'm glad so many people are trying to quit. I'm hoping to get some info, I googled it but didn't help me much. I quit smoking seven weeks ago, but the last couple of weeks when I workout I have been becoming more winded than when I smoked. Does anyone know if there is a scientific or other explanation for this. LOL maybe I'm just moving more because I quit haha!!

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Lots of posts about smoking lately, and I'm glad so many people are trying to quit. I'm hoping to get some info, I googled it but didn't help me much. I quit smoking seven weeks ago, but the last couple of weeks when I workout I have been becoming more winded than when I smoked. Does anyone know if there is a scientific or other explanation for this. LOL maybe I'm just moving more because I quit haha!!
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I quit more than 20 years ago and remember that I felt the same way you do now. I think that it is your lungs clearing themselves out and actually being able to access portions not used in years. Just my opinion though.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've been posting to complain about this lately, too. :ohwell: Hopefully it's just part of the healing process!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I quit smoking in 1974 and was up to 3 packs a day when I took the big step. I started jogging and it took a long time to clear my lungs of all the junk I'd built up in them. I think it was about 6 months of jogging/running that eventually saw me having less difficulty breathing and about a year before I suddenly realized that I was breathing easier and running better. Quiting smoking is as hard as losing weight and just as painful at times.

Whatever you do don't go back and just keep looking ahead.

Bob
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    I quit Feb. 20th....can't say I've shared feeling more winded while working out (are you sure you're eating enough?)...but I still have a little bit of a lack in concentration (MUCH better now, though, than it was the first 4 weeks). Rest assured, ANY symptom that you may get as a result of quitting is worth it!:wink: Keep up the good work! :drinker: