• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m95lq4POcJ1r7cmcvo1_400.gif

Haha I see what you did therr
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This thread started well but it is not going to end well.The moderators must be taking Sunday off :ohwell:

I like it that way, things get A LOT more interesting.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The continent was named long before the US existed, be it politically or culturally. In fact, I'm not even sure England had colonies at the time.

Was it appropriate for one country to use the pre-existing name of a continent, and in doing so appropriate for its citizens a term that people in other countries had just as much right to use for to call themselves and where they live?

Le sigh.

Was it appropriate to name a continent that already had people living on it?

You know, I might likely agree with you if there actually were people (besides some Canadians) that wanted to call themselves Americans but felt constrained because we already took the name. If you ask a Mexican where they're from? Mexico. A Bolivian? Bolivia. Many of these people are descendants of those that were here before Vespucci and they don't seem super eager to claim the name for themselves. The only people that seem to care are those that are trying to take some kind of stab at the States. It's played out and tiresome.

If you think about it for only a second, you'll realize that The United States of America is actually quite a logical name for a Republic made up of different states on a continent named America. Abbreviating such a long name is quite natural. Think about the United Arab Emirates. It's a collection of emirates on the Arabian peninsula; similar logic there. Should they have picked a different name because they weren't the only Arabs?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

That is just pure, sickening greed. Our justice system needs a serious overhaul.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Despite all the complaints and whining, the failings and struggles, we as a nation are truly blesssed. We have an abundance of food widely available at very reasonable costs. We have the freedom of choice, and the ability to define our lives through those choices. We have opportunities to pursue our dreams and so many amazing marvels and innovations available to us, including this helpful and free fitness buddy thingy.

It's up to you to make it happen. It's not about America or wherever you live. It's up to you. Now go do it.

That may be so, but we do not have 100% freedom of choice, ours is certainly limited, maybe not as much as someone in the Middle East, Africa, China, Russia to name a few countries etc. But we fool ourselves if we really think we have unlimited freedom of choice.

About being blessed, well depends how one looks at it and how the country came by what it has and the treatment of others.