For the love of all that is holy!!!!....

Options
MelonJMusic
MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
Someone PLEASE explain to me in the most help-a-stupid-forum-challenged-friend-out kinda way possible what the Hades "Bump" is, means, and does!?! Im not getting the concept, and yes, I read the terms and definitions post.

Help a dumb friend out, will ya? :laugh:

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    when someone "bumps" a post it moves the topic to the top of the board. That's all. Any word would do, people just use bump as a default. It doesn't "mean" anything lol :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    People write 'bump' or 'In to read later' to put the thread in My topics - much easier to find it later to continue reading it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    People will "bump" to move their own thread forward to get more feedback or if they haven't gotten an answer yet or sometimes other posters will "bump" to have a comment in the thread if they want to go back to it later. If you make a comment or "bump" the thread will show up on your profile as you commenting.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    OMG, lol I thought this was another body-style, like thigh gaps, bikini bridges, etc...only for men, for a certain area of their body. Never seen it said on here, but that's what I thought it meant from OPs post. :laugh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Google --->
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    or, TTT= to the top. same thing
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked. I've been trying to figure that out for a long time. Just when i thought I had it figured out, then I realized, NO, I have no idea what 'bump" means. Thnx everybody that explained it. Now I don't have to search forever trying to find something that I've seen on here and can't find it again. In fact, it's odd. Even if you put in a specific word when you're trying to find a thread, it won't come up in search under community. odd, very odd. oh well. now I know. thnx again for asking and for the good responses.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Bump Up My Post

cm-49669-451176610d12d1.gif

And this:
    People write 'bump' or 'In to read later' to put the thread in My topics - much easier to find it later to continue reading it.
  • MelonJMusic
    Options
    Thanks guys. So just by bumping once, it brings a post up to the top for easy access and stays up even if it isnt my own OP? Is there some kind of forum code that keeps it up? (Im trying to find out the difference between bump and a post simply coming up bc it has been a popular post to reply to.) What keeps someone from bump-spamming a thread so it's always easy to go back to?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. So just by bumping once, it brings a post up to the top for easy access and stays up even if it isnt my own OP? Is there some kind of forum code that keeps it up? (Im trying to find out the difference between bump and a post simply coming up bc it has been a popular post to reply to.) What keeps someone from bump-spamming a thread so it's always easy to go back to?
    Posting in a topic once keeps it in your My Topics list when you click it so you can find it again.

The threads are also listed by most recent post first, so a bump will bring the topic to the front page, top of the list, at least until someone posts in another topic, and so on.
  • MelonJMusic
    Options
    Ah, understood. I hope, lmbo. :blushing:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Given the volume of threads posted, it's pretty easy for any given thread to fall off the Recent Posts page and get burried....thus people "bump" their thread to the top of the page so that people will see it and respond.

Additionally, one may "bump" a thread simply because they didn't have time to read it but are interested and want it to show up on My Topics for a later read.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Actually 'bump' means Bring Up My Post. ;] So, yes, instead of making some meaningful post in a topic you can just 'bump' it to either push it to the top to of first page for more attention or to easily tag it. :)