What the Eff is a stone?

Options

Replies

• tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to understand (for an American) if you compare it to feet and inches. We don't think of how many inches tall we are.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    not quite a boulder but larger then a pebble....
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    From what I understand its a weight measurement? Am I right? Why use stones not lbs?

Why use lbs and not Kgs? :tongue:
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you google what is a stone its not very helpful........ lol considering its a rock.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    if you google what is a stone its not very helpful........ lol considering its a rock.

Then google a convernsion chart. You can assume when someone says they "weigh **stone" that it's a measurement.

GOOGLE HARDER.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

The weight measurement definition of it pops up on Google as well. I wasn't familiar with the term when I first joined MFP, and I just looked it up on google.
  • djslickrix
    Options
    I normally check my weight with a scale that tells you your weight in stones, and then I just work out how many pounds I am. However the other day I checked my weight with one of those newer digital scales which read in pounds and it told me my weight was half my actual body weight, which is impossible. Not sure what happened there...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options

Then google a convernsion chart. You can assume when someone says they "weigh **stone" that it's a measurement.

GOOGLE HARDER.

^lol, this. Clearly, people are not weighing themselves with rocks. :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

GOOGLE HARDER.

Life is so very hard! :sad:
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    I grew up in an age of stones and pounds and how many 'feet' I am. Its hard to change that and we keep passing it on to the next generation rather than getting to grip with the metric system. Its like if you tell me the weather in Fahrenheit, I have no idea what temp it is!

Hahah snap us english have a special way to make life easier hehe x
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Sorcerer's stone...

Lfvr2Uw.png
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sorcerer's stone...

Lfvr2Uw.png

Now in England that's called the Philosopher's stone.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Should have googled harder.

My exact thoughts. lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to bring back the term "fortnight." This is happening.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Sorcerer's stone...

Lfvr2Uw.png

I'll trade you 14 pounds for it, but then you'd get money, instead :laugh:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Sorcerer's stone...

Lfvr2Uw.png

I see what you did there! :smile:
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sorcerer's stone...

Lfvr2Uw.png

Haha. Oh to be English.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    .It would appear from the OP that the poster was/is not aware that other countries use different units of measure. Being all, "why the Eff to people use this or that unit of measure" is classic "Murica, **** yeah" type of comment. It is ignorance, and being an American and all....and a well traveled one, I find it annoying that so many of us in the U.S. are completely ignorant of other people's customs and cultures.

I definitely know that other countries use other measurements, however the one person I have seen use this was an American, and I thought when things (humans) in Britain that it was measured in kg, I had never heard of stones. Im not ignorant of other peoples customs and cultures, I just dont know everything. I for one may not be "well traveled" but that does not mean I'm completely ignorant.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    In the UK retailers all have to use grams now instead of oz. and liquids are in ml. Most people know their weight in stones and their height in feet and inches (unless they are nurses then they use kg and cm). BUT our road signs and speedometers still use miles and mph??!!

But we have to buy our fuel by the litre - even though we measure our consumption in mpg!!! We move very slowly and reluctantly to metric.
  • anchiel
    anchiel Posts: 9
    Options
    In other strange measurement inquiries, what is a th? I was looking up meatloaf portions and that came up - no idea what it's referring to.