Injured and can't run: going batty!

Options
I've always known that excercise is VERY important to my weight loss...let's face it, calorie restriction can be a little less severe when you're burning more during the day. That's the one thing I've always been bad at - strict calorie restriction. Plus a really good workout just feels good - there's nothing like a healthy hit of endorphins to make me FEEL like I look good even though it's impossible to have lost weight on that 4 mile run!

Last week I sprained my ankle on a nature trail and can't do much of any weight bearing excercise. I think I'm going to go out of my mind! I've been doing some strength training at home (1-footed push-ups and sit-ups and the like) but I'm just so frustrated! I know I need to give my foot time to heal but I'm struggling to find alternative exercises that I can do in the mean time to keep from turning into a floppy mess. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? HELP!

Replies

• Izzybay
    Options
    I can relate, had plantar fasciitis and was able to dance, or run. If you can, find a swimming pool for doing laps or any other exercises. It's a great non impact cardio workout and may actually help your ankle heal faster. Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I also suggest finding a swimming pool. How about stationary bike at a low setting? Depending on how bad the sprain, maybe an elyptical with an air cast.

I feel your pain, I was training for a half marathon and injured my knee. I am going insane too.

Good Luck.
  • hessond
    hessond Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration as well. I have patellofemoral syndrome (runners knee) in both knees, and have been reduced to walking. Which still hurts my knee, but I refuse to give that up also. I agree with Izzybay, a pool work out would be great for you right now. Also remember to RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) can help reduce your swelling. Good luck, hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Diana
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I injured my hip flexor very badly which impacted my piriformis muscle running a half marathon in May. I was not able to do any type of execise other than my physiotherapy for over 8 weeks. It was excruciating, the pain was really bad too! lol

I swam and walked in the pool for exercise. It has been a long slow recovery and a hard lesson learned.

Hope your ankle heals quickly, be sure not to try and get back to exercise too quickly or you will be sidelined even longer.

For me acupuncture and massage therapy also helped.

Karen
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Swimming pool! I'm not sure how severe your sprain is, but if it's bad enough might be worth going to PT. I had a 4th degree sprain and avoided the doctor for a long time. But PT helped me rehab my ankle and get back to it faster!

Hope it heals quick for you! Oh and make sure to RICE it.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Can you do chair exercises? At least it's upper body and you won't feel like you aren't accomplishing fitness.