Whats your favorite Protein?

Options
tiona83
tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
I struggle with getting enough protein, and powders or anything like that is not for me. So I thought it would be interesting to see what others eat to get their protein...and GO!!

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Juicy bird flesh.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My go-to is chicken and turkey. I tend to eat a lot of both. I'll usually pick up ground turkey, pan fry it, and sometimes what I do is put it on a bagel with a tbsp of mayo and eat it like a burger. I do supplement with protein drinks too. I'll have the powder and mix it in with almond milk. For a treat, I'll do that, and then add a tbsp of peanut butter. It's very calorie dense and filled with protein, but it tastes soooooo good!
  • digidream
    digidream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, but right now my favorite high protein food is cottage cheese. It just has SO much protein for the calorie count.
    Here are some of the things I have...
    High protein:
    tofu, soymilk, meat replacement products like veggie burgers, cottage cheese, string cheese, beans (don't really have beans too much though)
    Medium/lowish protein:
    grains like oatmeal, some veggies like spinach have a decent amount for the serving size and calorie count
    I do have some protein powder an old roommate left with 30 g protein for 170 calories, but I really dislike it! I was so excited about having free protein powder, but it's just awful!
    Also, you could try having a two egg omelet with veggies and stuff for breakfast! That's 14 grams just from the eggs right there.
    Honestly though, I read somewhere that women only need ~45 grams of protein a day... well, depending on the persons about 0.37 grams per pounds of body weight, maybe a bit more if you're building alot of muscle. So say you have an omelet for breakfast (14 g), a burrito or lunchmeat sandwich for lunch (~20 g), then maybe a snack of cottage cheese later on (15g), you're all set!
    Oh, and nice mustache! :D
  • rissa876
    rissa876 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fish and dairy. Second best is poultry. My body digests fish and poultry much better than red meat.
  • tiona83
    Options
    I used to hate it, but right now my favorite high protein food is cottage cheese. It just has SO much protein for the calorie count.
    Here are some of the things I have...
    High protein:
    tofu, soymilk, meat replacement products like veggie burgers, cottage cheese, string cheese, beans (don't really have beans too much though)
    Medium/lowish protein:
    grains like oatmeal, some veggies like spinach have a decent amount for the serving size and calorie count
    I do have some protein powder an old roommate left with 30 g protein for 170 calories, but I really dislike it! I was so excited about having free protein powder, but it's just awful!
    Also, you could try having a two egg omelet with veggies and stuff for breakfast! That's 14 grams just from the eggs right there.
    Honestly though, I read somewhere that women only need ~45 grams of protein a day... well, depending on the persons about 0.37 grams per pounds of body weight, maybe a bit more if you're building alot of muscle. So say you have an omelet for breakfast (14 g), a burrito or lunchmeat sandwich for lunch (~20 g), then maybe a snack of cottage cheese later on (15g), you're all set!
    Oh, and nice mustache! :D

thanks for that. great information. And I was thinking about growing a real mustache but it didn't go so well.
  • tiona83
    Options
    Fish and dairy. Second best is poultry. My body digests fish and poultry much better than red meat.
    yeah Dairy isn't always my friend. Fish I would eat a lot of it.
  • tiona83
    Options
    I suppose I would try protein powder if I knew what I was doing. I would have to have non animal protein though.
  • TiLo0905
    TiLo0905 Posts: 34
    Options
    i am a really lazy cook, so though i love chicken turkey pork ham and even some fish...cooking it is a pain in the patoot! :huh: I have discovered a real appreciation for always having black beans and white kidney beans or chickpeas in my pantry...aside from the protein they add texture to anything! I also looove that i replaced my addiction to chip dip with flavored hummus. :love:
  • djslickrix
    Options
    For me its Chicken, which I have with rice and sometimes I get fish from the fish and chips shop.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    firey steak
    20140423_191938.jpg

Chocolate whey, egg, peanut butter, with a side of bacon, gives you 38g
    20140424_135359.jpg20140424_135938.jpg

bbq sauced and spiced chicken
    IMG_20130626_180957.jpg

Gado-gado salad with egg, topped with a coconut based peanut sauce:
    20140214_191445.jpg

Indonesian Saute (marinated chicken, lamb)
    20140214_195534.jpg

Fondue: chicken, beef, lamb, with various sauces and spiced cheese
    IMG_20121230_170553.jpg
    IMG_20121230_174610.jpg

spiced battered chicken
    IMG_20130725_175830.jpg

Homemade shawarma with tahini, homemade garlic toum, pickled turnip, tomatos, and pickles tKYWz09OsZLWspNHAOePo4y8fBwV7Meu7gWr90P8YCbN=w503-h588-no

bbq ribs
    IMG_20130707_144106.jpg

currys with meat, 14hr smoked pulled pork, etc.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Don't have a favourite per se... depends how I feel ... but it has to be dead tasty animal flesh.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love ground beef. The local grocery store sells 96% lean beef for 4.49 regularly. I enjoy it. I also eat 20 egg whites and 4 yolks a day...in 2 settings. But, i gotta put ketchup in it, after awhile it gets boring lol
  • TheNewMe93Chicago
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder
    Rocky Road and Extreme Chocolate Milk taste amazing.
    I blend them with 1 banana and 1 tbsp. of peanut butter with a cup of almond milk
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Lamb, then beef, then pork, then Turkey or chicken.

Basically meat (red first)
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder
    Rocky Road and Extreme Chocolate Milk taste amazing.
    I blend them with 1 banana and 1 tbsp. of peanut butter with a cup of almond milk

Just about anything blended with peanut butter and almond milk is going to taste amazing...just sayin :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I actually *really* like my protein powder. It's chocolate, and when I blend it with some cold skim milk and a cold banana.. maybe some PB2 if I'm feeling it.. it tastes just like a milkshake but I know it's healthy!

After that, I could never pass up a good steak. Grilled chicken is a staple of my diet, and I like my ground meat products made with turkey (burgers, meatloaf, chili). But seafood is really good... shrimp and sushi are some of my faves.

Macaroni and cheese made fresh with wheat pasta, melty cheese (muenster? gouda? yum) and plain nonfat greek yogurt instead of butter or milk is a high-protein meal you would never expect, and it has some truly wonderful flavors.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Tuna, tilapia and swordfish.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chicken, peanut butter, and Rebuild Strength (I know you don't like powders, but I had to throw that in there anyway). I like chicken for lean meat, and that really helps me lean out more. I always grill my chicken. I like peanut butter because it makes a good snack when consumed with foods like celery or apples. These snacks help curb my hunger, and give me vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants at the same time. The Rebuild Strength post-workout shake is great because it has 24 grams per serving, and it helps my muscles recover after a workout, and also promotes muscle growth. I highly recommend that for anyone who works out. So, those are my favorite proteins. There really isn't a protein I don't like, but those are my favorites.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Has to be oatmeal cooked with peanut butter and instead of sweetner I put in 1 T dark chocolate miniature chips.. Drool