Potato Soup with Almond Milk?

Options
echofm1
echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
I have a potato soup recipe that I absolutely love to make. It's mainly potatoes, butter, and milk with polish sausage, some salt, and a lot of pepper and garlic powder. I want to make it, but recently I've moved away from having milk because I just can't drink it fast enough, and we don't have the freezer space to freeze a bunch of milk for later use. Instead I've been getting almond milk, and for most things it works really well.

So my question: Has anyone tried a potato soup recipe with almond milk? Did it taste mostly normal, or did you have to doctor it to hide the flavor of the almond milk? The kind I normally get is unsweetened vanilla, but I wouldn't say the vanilla flavor is particularly strong.

Note: I still fully intend to use butter in my recipe—about 1 stick for 6 servings of soup—as I have plenty of that. My switch from regular milk to almond milk was almost entirely because it lasts longer.

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried it, but I'd recommend using the unsweetened non-vanilla if you decide to go with the almond milk, as that's what may affect the flavor.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried it, but I'd recommend using the unsweetened non-vanilla if you decide to go with the almond milk, as that's what may affect the flavor.

I also have not tried it for something like this, but I agree with the above poster. Get the unsweetened original flavor. I think the vanilla would throw things off. It's just enough flavor to make it weird tasting, I'm sure.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You could just use canned condensed or evaporated milk. I have a potato soup recipe that uses it so I know it works well. You wouldn't have to worry about having excess milk to store and it is pretty cheap.
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened original would work very well. My favorite potato soup that I make uses vegetarian "chicken" base broth for most of the liquid, then cashew cream mixed in near the end. (soak about 1/4 cup raw cashew pieces in water for a few hours, drain, and blend cashews with about 1/2 cup water until smooth)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd have to doctor it some, since both almond milk and coconut milk seem to impart their flavors to whatever you're making.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You could just use canned condensed or evaporated milk. I have a potato soup recipe that uses it so I know it works well. You wouldn't have to worry about having excess milk to store and it is pretty cheap.

That's a good idea! I never think about using that, but we have both in our cupboard for baking.

Thanks everyone for the tips :smile: At some point I'll try the unsweetened original too. We've used the unsweetened vanilla while making mashed potatoes before and no one noticed a difference. However, I've noticed I don't need as much sweetener when I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my cereal, so I'm not sure how much the flavor would be affected by the vanilla.