mechanical scale v.s digital scale

Options
I currently have a Digital scale but cant trust it because the weight flactuate to much,, I weigh myself 3 times to make sure but first time it can give me 100,2 kg second 98 kg and third 101 kg, 4 kg flactuation is to much,, so my question is mechanical scale v.s digital scale ????

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I trust my scale, but then, I only step on it once and step off it.
    I bet if I stepped on/off it multiple times in a row, I'd get wonky readings as well.
    You can always check the accuracy of your scale by putting 2 handweights in 5-10 lb. increments to see if it weighs stuff properly.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i bought a mechanical one because i didnt trust the digital to be accurate. it makes me feel better to see the little arrow swirl around from 0 to whatever number. But i am really not sure which is more accurate really. I am interested to see what others think.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I trust my scale, but then, I only step on it once and step off it.
    I bet if I stepped on/off it multiple times in a row, I'd get wonky readings as well.
    You can always check the accuracy of your scale by putting 2 handweights in 5-10 lb. increments to see if it weighs stuff properly.

good idea!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have a digital but you never know which is better. The mechanical ones should be calibrated every once in while to be accurate.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    my one can be off by up to half a pound i think... but 4kg?? thats over half a stone! get new scales :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have digital and I'm thinking of getting new ones because they can differ 1-2kg sometimes. 4kg though is definately too much and I'd suggest getting new ones, or a mechanical scale, it may not get you such a precise figure but if it varies less its worth it!
  • Nelneusa
    Options
    I trust the digital scale, but I find the lbs scale is more accurate than the kg digital scale. There sometimes is a fluctuation, but is is often less than 1lbs, which is about 0.45kgs. 4 Kgs is 8.8Lbs, it is too much a fluatuation. Get a Lbs digital scale.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    it doesn't matter what the scale measures in. wether its lbs of kgs. it's the quality of the scale you buy, who, and where it was made. as for choosing between mechanical vs. digital. thats personal preference. I've tried both, and find the digital scale to be more acureate, and reliable, mainly because when you step on it, you don't have springs, gears, and levers swinging, and moving, and possibly getting out of alignment. also with a mechanical scale, you have to re-calibrate it regularly, which is subject to human error, (not as accurate as a digital, which zeros (recalibrates itself) every time you turn it on.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that is accurate. You aren't supposed to weigh yourself throughout the day because weight does go up from food and water, or other type of beverages sitting in your stomach. It can discourage people. They actually recommend only weighing yourself once a week.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Digital scale but cant trust it because the weight flactuate to much,, I weigh myself 3 times to make sure but first time it can give me 100,2 kg second 98 kg and third 101 kg, 4 kg flactuation is to much,, so my question is mechanical scale v.s digital scale ????

I tend to have this problem when my batteries are starting to go dead. Replace the batteries and see if that helps. You may still get small variants but it should be more accurate.