Can someone help me reach my goal?

Options
I lost the weight. yay me. I lost it doing an insane amount of exercise though. A typical day was

7:00am- Insanity
8:00-9:00am Gym
7pm-8pm Zumba

It was a lot, but I loved it. However I developed shingles because of how much I exercised. I now still do Zumba but only 3 times a week, and I lift for what is suppose to be four days according to the program. I feel like this isn't enough. Like i'll gain it all back. Is four days lifting too little or is 5 days too much? I'm not focused on losing weight. I want to gain muscle, which is why I want to be lifting more. i just need some feedback. It's causing a lot of stress on me.

Replies

• pr1nc3ss_xo
    pr1nc3ss_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Other people will be able to give you a better answer about how often or how little you should be exercising, but I wouldn't worry about gaining it all back right away.
    I've had an awful past couple of weeks with exercise due to some personal goings on in my life, and still been losing because I'm eating at a deficit.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Last year, I lost 35 lbs. (most of which was fat) in about 18 weeks by lifting three times a week (and minimal to no cardio) and, most importantly, eating at a deficit. I started with a prominent paunch and four months later, I had visible abs. (You can see a before/after photo in my profile.) My exercise (lifting) sessions were typically an hour and a half long (sometimes less).

So, even thrice a week is not too little. And, I know people who workout on an average of two and a half times per week, and are actively losing weight because they are eating at a deficit.

Losing weight is possible entirely through diet. Adding cardio helps because it raises your TDEE and lets you eat more. Strength training ensures that your weight loss shifts primarily toward fat loss (and helps to maintain muscle mass).

That is all that is there too it.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Working out 3 hours a day, without the guidance of a coach/instructor for a sports training program, is, as you have discovered, a good way to make yourself sick. I do not suggest you try that again.

I work out 1 1/2 hours a day kickboxing, for competition (amateur) 3xs a week. I lift weights 2xs a week. I rest 2xs a week. I watch my calorie intake and keep it at my "fighting weight" (we have weight classes). I'm not putting the weight I lost back on. I'm gaining muscle, flexibility, endurance and skill. I don't feel like crap. I have time to do other things, like spend time with family, friends, and do hobbies.

You don't have to freaking kill yourself to get in shape. As for a weight training routine, the men/women on here have a whole heck of a lot of good advice.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    . Three hours per day was not a good idea. Lifting a few times a week is a good idea :-)
  • parisallez
    Options
    3 hours of exercise a day probably leads to a lot of cortisol release due to stress. Cortisol destroys muscle and can lead to fat storage. You may have lost weight with it and it worked in that way, but long term is probably not sustainable in a healthy way.
    Lift 3-4 times a week, do 20 min cardio 2-3 times a week, and eat properly with whole foods and most of your carbs before and in the immediate hours after your workouts.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    At 19, working out 3 hours a day for most people would mean your an athlete. If you stop working out and are concerned about gaining all the weight back, maybe it is as simple as this "You cannot out train a crappy diet". Take of eating well first.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    At 19, working out 3 hours a day for most people would mean your an athlete. If you stop working out and are concerned about gaining all the weight back, maybe it is as simple as this "You cannot out train a crappy diet". Take of eating well first.

My diet is the least of my concerns. I eat extremely healthy.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Shingles is caused by a virus. Did your doctor say the stress of so much exercise damaged your immune system?

If you eat extremely healthy, why would you need to exercise 3 hours a day?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

My diet is the least of my concerns. I eat extremely healthy.
    Your diet is half of the equation. No matter how extremely healthy you eat, if you eat extremely more calories than you burn, you're gonna gain. You are preparing to burn less than you were, and asking us whether you'll gain weight as a result. The answer to that question is exactly what he said. If you're changing your calorie output, you'll need to change your calorie intake. If you're not logging your food now, this is a good time to start.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Shingles is caused by a virus. Did your doctor say the stress of so much exercise damaged your immune system?

Exactly. She said I damaged my immune system from too much stress on my body. And because it became addicting.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Exactly. She said I damaged my immune system from too much stress on my body. And because it became addicting.

yes, that certainly could be. doing so much exercise, not adequately fueling your body (the food may be healthy you are eating--but not enough food), your immune system takes a hit...and shingles surface. I have had them in the past during a stressful time at school. hopefully, shingles will be a one time thing for you.