Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Lol. You make me smile. Nuts, including peanuts are used as a protein source by many. Especially vegitarian and vegan. That group of people as well as many others requiring additional caloric sources and macros would benefit and be just fine incorporating peanut butter as an added protein to their diet. If OP assumes there are actually people eating nothing but PB for protein, I direct you back to my original comment. Anything else you can't comprehend, I can't help you with. Have a lovely day! :-)

Peanuts are a legume, not a nut.
  • shaddix89
    Options
    Yes, it does have fat but it's mostly poly/mono saturated fats. We do need some fat in our diets and these are the preferred ones. I do use peanut butter as a source of protien. It just may not be the best source.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Type of fat matters too.

Peanut butter has 12 g of poly- and mono-unsaturated fats while having only 3g of saturated fat.

Poly and mono fats reduce LDL cholesterol and symptoms of heart related problems while saturated fats increase the chances for those symptoms.

tumblr_inline_n405h8iioA1rgzdxd.jpg

That is outdated information now. All the fats are healthy for you, except for trans fats.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the fat in peanut butter is not as harmful as the fat in beef or pork.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.
    What how dare you sir haha
  • blovesit
    blovesit Posts: 20
    Options
    Would this be a bad time to mention that i've never tried peanut butter!?
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Type of fat matters too.

Peanut butter has 12 g of poly- and mono-unsaturated fats while having only 3g of saturated fat.

Poly and mono fats reduce LDL cholesterol and symptoms of heart related problems while saturated fats increase the chances for those symptoms.

That is outdated information now. All the fats are healthy for you, except for trans fats.

Binarypulsar, with you being from Canada, you might not be familar with the MayoClinic.
    MayoClinic.org is a reliable nonprofit research group & medical facility.

Per Mayo Clinic article dated Feb 11, 2014 , which I don't feel is outdated.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550

cut-and-paste in a nutshell ....

Dietary fats: Know which types to choose
    There are two main types of potentially harmful dietary fat:
    1-fat that is mostly saturated and
    2-fat that contains trans fat:

The types of potentially helpful dietary fat are mostly unsaturated:
    1-Monounsaturated fat.
    2-Polyunsaturated fat.
    3-Omega-3 fatty acids
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    0ab1afb0cf086c4a826043b41220bd808e6c7ad43691d5b36020ec4b4b19a561.jpg
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    funny-dog-long-tongue-peanut-butter.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Type of fat matters too.

Binarypulsar, with you being from Canada, you might not be familar with the MayoClinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550

1-Monounsaturated fat.
    2-Polyunsaturated fat.
    3-Omega-3 fatty acids

I'm familiar with mayo clinic and with this information (I am actually American). You could look into it. All the most current research has been that they have concluded this is no longer thought to be true.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options

1-Monounsaturated fat.
    2-Polyunsaturated fat.
    3-Omega-3 fatty acids

I'm familiar with mayo clinic and with this information (I am actually American). You could look into it. All the most current research has been that they have concluded this is no longer thought to be true.

ok, thanks. I found an review/analysis from Annals.org dated March 18, 2014 .
    Guessing that's what you are referring to. I'll have to read more about it.
    I did read that there is a debate over said article.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638&resultClick=3
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight when I stopped kidding myself that peanut butter is a good protein source.

Just saying.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

1-Monounsaturated fat.
    2-Polyunsaturated fat.
    3-Omega-3 fatty acids

ok, thanks. I found an review/analysis from Annals.org dated March 18, 2014 .
    Guessing that's what you are referring to. I'll have to read more about it.
    I did read that there is a debate over said article.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638&resultClick=3

Yeah, I think the whole issue is still up for debate.
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here in Germany, we have an organic PB made by Rapunzel. It is made from 100% organic peanuts with no sugar added.

100gr has:

30gr of proteins
    49gr of fats from peanuts only - no saturated fats.
    9,4gr of carbs - no sugars

and no sodium. And it is very delicious.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Funfact: Depending on the ferocity of the semantic argument, the MFP forum user can burn over 9000 more calories per day than the MFP non-forum user.

tumblr_inline_mp29s71jCE1qz4rgp.gif
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Funfact: Depending on the ferocity of the semantic argument, the MFP forum user can burn over 9000 more calories per day than the MFP non-forum user.

hmmm - I'm sceptical - have you verified this with a HRM?
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Wow this topic is still going on...
    can we discuss bacon now?

Wait did someone say bacon... *drools* continue
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

hmmm - I'm sceptical - have you verified this with a HRM?

Follow-up Funfact: Some forum users are so enthusiastic in their semantic pursuits that they have been known to cause HRM's to give up in frustration.

I had some graphs and pie charts verifying all of this, but I left them in my other pants. Trust me though...it's very sciencetific stuff.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Over 9000 you say?
    tumblr_inline_mgde1y9fer1qd5yv1.gif