What is a negative net intake of calories?

Options
ukaryote
ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
Is a negative net calorie intake a good thing, bad thing, or it depends?

Today I have been working on the house constantly. I recorded it as 'Housecleaning , light" because i could not find an equivalent. MFP calculated an overall negative calories.

(This may change. The family wants to eat at cracker Barrel tonight. I think they even serve their salads with Sawmill Gravy.)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Having low or negative calories is not a good thing, no.

It's like expecting a car to drive on an empty tank. Your body requires a base amount of calories just to sustain basic life functions. Take that away, and where does that leave you??

As for MFP's database, I'd eat back 50% of those calories, since MFP is notorious for overestimation.

Go to Cracker Barrel, have something yummy, enjoy your time out and just remember to log it. /end
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It's like expecting a car to drive on an empty tank.
    Oh, you know my spouse? The "E" on the gas gauge is a suggestion, not a statement.
    Go to Cracker Barrel, have something yummy, enjoy your time out and just remember to log it. /end
    Points taken.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Okay, to be more specific... will one day of negative calories hurt you? Probably not. But if continued for an extended amount of time, yes, you will begin to experience negative effects.

Here's a good thread with some studies linked (scroll down a few comments for the info):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669611-negative-net-calories