I Eat This, NOT That

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
We're all in the same boat trying to make smarter choices...what are some changes/substitutions you've made

I eat Roasted Potatoes (toss them in 1 T olive oil and broil)NOT skillet Fried Potatoes.

I eat 2% cheeses NOT full fat cheeses

I drink Splenda Sweetened tea NOT sugar sweet tea when I need my Sweet Tea fix

I eat baked chips or pretzels NOT regular fried chips for my "fix"

Replies

• MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is another great option!
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    one piece of really nice super rich and dark chocolate instead of a cookie or a brownie.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have a baked sweet potato instead of a regular baked potato. I also prefer Stone Ground Oatmeal rather than Instant. Egg Beaters instead of a real egg.
    I can also take a bite of something sweet and be satisfied now.
    It's amazing! I never thought I would say that!
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I drink diet soda or water not regular soda or tea or lemonade.
    If i get the munchies, I pop a Mentos Pure chewing gum instead of snack foods.
    I only stock my office with 100 calorie packs, small pieces of dark chocolate, nuts, etc. instead of entire boxes of full calorie snacks.
    I bring my lunch instead of eating out - but if I do go to fast food, I get the kids meal
    Sugar-free syrup or honey instead of regular syrup. Oh and creamed honey (i get mine at Trader Joe's) is great!
    All Fruit jelly (5 calories) vs Welches (30-50 calories).
    100 calorie english muffins instead of pop-tarts, bread, etc.

Small changes make a big difference.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat a small Supreme Protein bar instead of chocolate when PMS cravings hit.

I buy a loaf of double fibre whole grain bread and eat it instead of buns. I cut the bread to match the size/shape of my burger.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sandwich Thins instead of butter-top bread

Laughing Cow instead of Mayo

cottage cheese instead of ice cream (I add some craisins and I LOVE it!)

mozzarella cheese sticks instead of doritos LOL this one isn't really a This NOT That, but I am making much better snacking choices
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas - would love to see more....

When it's cold and I can't seem to get my water in, I'll drink hot water with lemon juice and a little truvia or splenda and have hot lemonade!
  • nicjane113
    Options
    I try and plan my meals while I'm in the supermarket. That way I know I have enough meals for the week so if I got a takeaway I'd be wasting good food. I also only buy enough crisps (chips) for my boyfriend to take to work for his lunch. That way I know there is only enough for him and I can't have any.
    I have been planning my meals on MFP a couple of days in advance so I know what I'll be consuming.
    I have been sticking to weight watchers soup for my lunch (all tasty and under 100 calories). It lets me have a bigger dinner which is when I am most hungry.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I keep 100 calorie packs of chips (cheddar popcorn, sunchips, and cheese doodles) in my pantry. I got them in bulk at Sam's Club if I ever have those crazy cravings of needing some sort of chips. I have only ate 2 within the past 2 months! My husband takes one once in a while. I also keep 100 calorie packs of cookies, like fudge shoppe and cheez-its for the same reason. Sometimes you want cookies, not chips! ;)
  • theGODwithin
    Options
    growing up in a filipino family, rice is a constant part of our diet. but now at least 5 days of the week i dont eat rice at all and if i do, its very little. i also try to eat basmati rice for the lowered calories and lowered effects on the blood sugar.

for about a week now ive been drinking 2 servings of whey protein with water everyday and that stuff controls your blood glucose levels as well as suppress your appetite. it also acts as extra calories, so instead of eating 200 more calories of whatever for lunch for example, i just chug down a scoop or whey for about 140 calories and 27g of protein per scoop =)

as far as other food choices im still working on it, for now im trying to watch HOW MUCH i eat instead of WHAT i eat to sort of make the transition to healthy eating easier, not abrupt. sometimes its really hard to know what and how much to eat especially since im on INSANITY and its like weight training and mad cardio combined. but im doing research all the time to maximize my results and i know i can get through it!