Giving up drinking?

Options

Replies

• ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could give up my glass (or two) of Chardonnay after work. But I did. Because losing the weight meant so much more to me. Now, I can't hold my liquor! I had a vodka/diet tonic and I was trashed. So now I don't want to drink! If you do, stay away from beer and sweet drinks. Distilled liquors (vodka, gin, whiskies) have ONLY calories and not any fat or carbs. One shot is around 60 some odd.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Join the AA, as it looks like you have a serious problem.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I hope this is an attempt a humor...but, just in case....

hot-mila-relax-talking-animation.gif
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    I love a glass of wine or 2 with dinner in the evening after work, but 2 large glasses of wine is about 400 cals! so ive tried having vodka, lime & soda in a wine glass.. far less calories and it looks like wine haha!
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options

I hope this is an attempt a humor...but, just in case....

hot-mila-relax-talking-animation.gif

hahaha!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I cut back a lot and it has helped tremendously. My temptations are red wine and Guinness. I still have a couple of glasses of red wine a week.

Guinness, I cut off entirely until I reach my goal weight.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said to workout in the morning. I joined a morning run group and it's made me cut back significantly on how much I drink during the week. I may have 1-2 drinks in the evening.

I found when I cut it out completely, I would binge when I did drink. If I have a few drinks during the week, I don't usually go overboard on the weekend.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I agree with whoever said to workout in the morning. I joined a morning run group and it's made me cut back significantly on how much I drink during the week. I may have 1-2 drinks in the evening.

I found when I cut it out completely, I would binge when I did drink. If I have a few drinks during the week, I don't usually go overboard on the weekend.

Now, this is good advice that I can get behind.

Working out in the AM is a surefire way to make responsible decisions about dinner, sleep and alcohol. I say dinner only because if I'm working out in the morning I tend to make a really well-rounded meal (fish, veggies, sweet potato) so that I'm not hungry when I get up.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are doing the right thing.

I like a glass or two of wine on the weekends and budget for them. Not eating back some exercise calories and doing a little bit more on Saturday and Sunday is the way I try to counteract it. And then not going too crazy as if I have too many drinks then I know I'm liable to snack and that's more likely to put me over.

Good luck.
  • shapefitter
    Options

m.bbc.com/news/health-27124357
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just do it on selected nights.

Maybe try spirits - gin and slimline tonic, vodka/diet coke etc. All significantly less than cider/beer/snakebite. Maybe move a bit more in order to burn it off - most universitys offer student discounts at gyms, so try and make the most of that if you can.

Otherwise? Enjoy being 23 and being at University!
  • PRMinx
    Options

So the poster says she has 1-2 drinks in the evening because she works out in the morning and finds that it reduces her desire to binge drink later on. Altogether, a sensible and respectable approach.

And then you post an article about binge drinking 3+ drinks...

I'm failing to see the connection here.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I usually order a "hard" drink (scotch, whiskey, tequila) and then a big glass of water. I will alternate between the two (and chances are end of with double the water I planned due to partial refills if the waiter is attentive). Living at altitude and in very dry air in Colorado, people are very used to people wanting to stay hydrated while drinking, so it's pretty common behavior. By the time I need to leave, I may have only had 1-2 drinks.

My folly comes if anyone orders appetizers that I like.
  • shapefitter
    Options

So the poster says she has 1-2 drinks in the evening because she works out in the morning and finds that it reduces her desire to binge drink later on. Altogether, a sensible and respectable approach.

To clarify the term binge.
  • bombshellcertification
    Options
    For all the reasons you mentioned and more, I lost my desire for alcoholic beverages in my early twenties(23) after amped up partying during college and post college happy hour or social...and was chubby from the calories, water weight, late nights with little sleep, also got really sensitive to the smell of alcohol --even now when someone is working out and sweating out the night before I get totally nauseus...it comes through pores second hand--often times but not always smoke too....I was a bartender for a short time while not drinking and that only reinforced my being turned off to the unhealthy environment---the cons outweighed the pros...and when I go out with friends etc I always order cranberry, lime and club in a wine glass....I feel great, spend less, still enjoy social/friends/dates etc. but know what my body wants and needs, I honor that, and its- its own reward....I was a bit of a partier early on so maybe I also lived it out of my system fast & furious at 23.

And enjoy the benefits of making decisions that wont end in hangover, weight gain or money that Id rather use to support my healthy habits, new clothes, interests and travel ---it really does add up too :) Listen to your body and tune into your higher self & you'll know what to do :) Everyone is different, some more sensitive than others...

Instinctively as my body detoxed, my body naturally wanted to be clean, present and I had more energy, time, money, health, vibrancy to follow dreams...and live life totally present...at all times***. .At first I craved a lot of sugar, as I drank cranberry & Vodka or wine....so I craved cookies etc initially and had to confront emotions and emotional eating for a time of transition that were really underlying my drinking impulse.....not realizing I was missing the sugar in alcohol & my mixers.

My body naturally though gravitated to wanting optimum health--the endorphin rush of exercise, sun and good food was better than any buzz by a landslide. Then when I had enough of the weight gain from switching habits...and I felt more comfortable without it, the time I usually spent out with friends at night become less and I spent more time active during day with friends who loved adventure outdoors etc..riding bike, at beach, running, volleyball etc (I lived in Florida at the time) For me, it was a struggle socially at first, especially the wine, but I came to learn that I was also allergic to fermentation--and that was bloating me and giving me headaches too...so I think we all have intuitive body knowledge if we can tune in and listen to effects we get...with time and practice I have gotten better to listening to my body and spirit---for me eliminating alcohol was key...I had support and have used 12 step philosophy more most things in my life.. Everyday, I am confronted with choices and make decisions to love or neglect myself. Do what's best for you...no one can decide that but you.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    On days where I go out drinking, I have a hard workout earlier in the day so I have more caloric "wiggle room." But mostly, I think I'm going to cut down on my drinking. It's not that I don't have the calories for it. It's that I don't think drinking is worth it... if I binge drink, I'm an out of control mess, and if I only drink a little it feels like I'm wasting calories that are way better spent on cheese and chocolate.
  • bingo_jenn
    Options

To clarify the term binge.

I, too, failed to see the connection. It still doesn't really make sense.

But the point of the article is a good one that once you start drinking, ordering appetizers, etc., then the "hangover cures" the next day, it's not worth it to go into the 3+ drinks.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    drunk6.jpg
  • bingo_jenn
    Options
    By far one of the most disturbing lists I saw somewhere... hilarious, but oh, so bad!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you addicted to alcohol? If not, its easy, just don't order it.

In to say....WOW...this is so helpful.

It is acutally pretty simple, why make a big deal out of it???