Is 2lbs/week unsafe?

Options
A lot of people say it's bad because it's unsustainable. If that's the only reason, it shouldn't be bad for me because I don't mind eating at low calorie amounts. The reason I'd like to lose faster is because I'd like to see a change and I've tried losing a pound a week but I get discouraged. If I work out all muscle groups and lose 2lbs a week, would it be detrimental to my health in any way?

Replies

• kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was losing 1.5 constantly for six months and then decided to up it to 2 lbs and I had no success at all...I hit a bump and could not lose any weight I was so discouraged..I went out on a whim and changed back to my old goals and have dropped 2 pounds already...do what feels right for you...is all I can say...and be ready to adjust if you need to :)
  • kespinoza2013
    kespinoza2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also the scale is not the only indicator of success...it's how you feel and you can be losing a lot of inches as well but the scale won't show that!
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What percentage of loss a week is that for you? If you weigh 150, it's probably a bit fast. If you weigh 300, it's not too fast. The leaner you get, the slower you should expect the fat loss. Your body will fight you the leaner you get.

I don't know what people mean by sustainable or unsustainable. Eventually everybody will plateau, even if they are going slow. It just happens. And, even if the calorie counting adds up, sometimes you don't lose anything on the scale. Sometimes it's just a plain ole mystery.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It depends on your starting weight. If you have a lot to lose you can probably reduce your calories enough to lose 2 lbs a week without starving yourself. If you are not very overweight it might not be possible to reduce your calories that much and still get all the nutrients you need- in that case, slower weigh loss would be necessary.
  • david2133
    david2133 Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm around 150lbs and 5ft 8inch. However, at the navel, I'm 32 inches so have quite a lot of fat there.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would expect 1lb a week in fat loss. Don't get discouraged, it's a marathon. Just enjoy the ride. Eat healthy, work on raising your fitness levels (cardio and weight training). You will get there, just be consistent.
  • david2133
    david2133 Posts: 58
    Options
    Ok thanks